Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fry cooking electric device and watts?

WTW
Explorer
Explorer
Fry cooking electric device and watts?
I am shopping a food fryer. Always liked fry daddy’s or grand pappy by presto. Turn machine on and it controls perfect temperature But I wish a bigger fryer. Presto makes Presto 05461 Deep Fryer, butt draws 1800 watts, am I going to have issues plugging into outside rv plug? What do you use to fry while camping? Thanks
Work/live Lakeland, FL
2016 Ram Crew 5.7 Hemi
2019 Grand Design 2150RB
Soon- empty nesting.
8 REPLIES 8

WTW
Explorer
Explorer
Researched, air fryer may not be my answer. Looking for taste, did not see a YouTube comparison where airfry deat real frying. I’m OK draining oil, as time is what I have when camping.
Work/live Lakeland, FL
2016 Ram Crew 5.7 Hemi
2019 Grand Design 2150RB
Soon- empty nesting.

WTW
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks, I’ like idea to go with cord to pedestal.. one problem solved. What air fryer do you all us or like? Thanks
Work/live Lakeland, FL
2016 Ram Crew 5.7 Hemi
2019 Grand Design 2150RB
Soon- empty nesting.

AJR
Explorer
Explorer
I use an air fryer at home & in the camper. It has fewer prep/cleanup steps to deal with and the results are as good as a deep fryer. As much as I like French fries I almost never made them when I had a deep fryer. Now I make fried or baked foods whenever feel like it because cleanup is so simple.

My fryers are 1400 watts.
2007 Roadtrek 210 Popular
2015 GMC Terrain AWD

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
cavie wrote:
IF you have a full 120 volts circuit at your camp you will draw 15 amp @1800 watts. That's a maxed out circuit. chances are it will not work for long. There will be other things on that circuit. Best thing to do in run a 12 ga extension cord from the 20 amp outlet on the ped to the appliance If the ped has low voltage (and it will) the amperage goes up and it will never work.

Power directly from the pedestal is a good idea, just make sure to secure the extension cord so that if someone trips over it, the fryer does not fall and potentially start a grease fire !

Plugging it directly in to the camper means it will be less like for this too happen. You won't be able to run the A/C, microwave or coffee pot at the same time.

cavie
Explorer
Explorer
IF you have a full 120 volts circuit at your camp you will draw 15 amp @1800 watts. That's a maxed out circuit. chances are it will not work for long. There will be other things on that circuit. Best thing to do in run a 12 ga extension cord from the 20 amp outlet on the ped to the appliance If the ped has low voltage (and it will) the amperage goes up and it will never work.
2011 Keystone Sprinter 323BHS. Retired Master Electrician. Retired Building Inspector.

All Motor Homes are RV's. All RV's are not Motor Homes.

edbehnke
Explorer
Explorer
no. just don't overload circuit.

heck toasters,hair dryers and electric heaters are pushing this amount of wattage.
eddie and sandie
3402 Montana 2013
Ford F350 2015

ggardne2
Explorer
Explorer
Most RV 110 circuits are wired for 15 amps. Generally 15 amps will support a continuos load of 1440 watts if you are on a 120V service (80% of the 1800 watt maximum for this type of circuit). Based on this the 1800 watt deep fryer will not work on a 15 amp circuit.

Given that lots of RV parks have insufficient/outdated electric you are likely to encounter voltages that are less than 120V which will make the situation even worse.

johnhicks
Explorer
Explorer
You need all the power to maintain temp when frying. I use this https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00C0E1QZ2/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
-jbh-