cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

190 lb mastiff rescued from trail

Crowe
Explorer
Explorer
A 190 lb mastiff had to be rescued from a trail in Utah. Thank you to the rescuers!

https://www.wcvb.com/article/a-massive-mastiff-had-to-be-rescued-after-getting-exhausted-on-a-mounta...

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be

Douglas Adams

[purple]RV-less for now but our spirits are still on the open road. [/purple]
7 REPLIES 7

dblr
Explorer
Explorer
Friends got a Mastiff and were basically told don't walk him further then your willing to carry, when there done they are done they will just lay down, theirs weighed in at 225lbs
2017 River Stone Legacy 38MB
2001 Kenworth T2000
2009 Smart on the deck.

maddog348
Explorer
Explorer
AMEN

camp-n-family
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2 year old English mastiff that weighs 196lbs. I would never consider taking him on a hike like that. He is not fat or lazy, gets 2 good walks a day. Mastiffs are not a high energy dog and you need to be very careful that they donโ€™t overheat or over exert themselves like this one did. They are also not very agile and could easily get seriously hurt on a trail like that. This is all the ownerโ€™s fault. Should have known better.
'17 Ram 2500 Crewcab Laramie CTD
'13 Keystone Bullet Premier 310BHPR
Hitched by Hensley

xteacher
Explorer
Explorer
Dog was not abandoned - he just gave out and needed help.
Beth and Joe
Camping Buddies: Maddie (maltese/westie?), Kramer (chi/terrier?), and Lido (yellow lab)

2017 Keystone Bullet 248RKS
2014 Aliner Expedition Off Road
2013 Ram 1500 HEMI

BCSnob
Explorer
Explorer
Seams like this dog was not conditioned enough for the hike. Mastiffs can be fit; search drafting or cart pulling with mastiffs.

https://www.modernmolosser.com/putting-your-mastiff-or-molosser-in-harness-for-weight-pulling-drafti...
Mark & Renee
Working Border Collies: Nell (retired), Tally (retired), Grant (semi retired), Lee, Fern & Hattie
Duke & Penny (Anatolians) home guarding the flock
2001 Chevy Express 2500 Cargo (rolling kennel)
2007 Nash 22M

winniman
Explorer
Explorer
SidecarFlip wrote:
All we have ever had is rescue dogs including out present 120 pound Lab / how mix. Great pup. I really dislike people who abandon pups.

With us, no matter how old or large, they are all pups.

I don't think you read the article. Just a guess.

SidecarFlip
Explorer
Explorer
All we have ever had is rescue dogs including out present 120 pound Lab / how mix. Great pup. I really dislike people who abandon pups.

With us, no matter how old or large, they are all pups.
2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB