Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: General RVing Issues: Modern Food?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Modern Food?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 8  
Prev  |  Next
DutchmenSport

Indiana

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/15/19 10:49am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I worked at several different McDonald's in the 1970's - 1980's for over 20 years. Back then, a hamburger was still a hamburger. I don't know what they are using now. But even McDonald's admits that French Fries are not real potatoes any more. That's pretty bad. Forget their shakes, that's been artificial stuff for the last 50 years.

I suppose that's why we do our own cooking at the campsite. Fortunate, we still have a local small Mom & Pop grocery store not to far from where we live that still cuts their own meat, purchased from local farmers in Indiana. I refuse to cover them with sauces and gobs of seasonings when cooking, because the flavor is in the meat! If it's a good meat, it does not need all the additional stuff to try to make it taste good.

And I agree with the OP. Finding places that still serve fresh cuts of meat and non-pre-processed fruits and vegetables are far and few in-between.

Even Hostess Ding Dongs aren't the same any more, and when fast food restaurants went to non-trans-fats deep fried grease for deep frying... well ... it's simply never been the same.

I enjoyed going to a Mom & Pop shop a few years ago. I think it was somewhere in Tennessee. They had written on the walls across the top, near the ceiling in great big lettering, something like: We use grease, we use fat, we use lard. If you are looking for good taste, this is place to come. If you are looking to loose weight, go somewhere else. We don't make excuses for good food taste.

That is where the REAL problem is. Restaurants are trying too hard to do the politically correct "cooking", and crumble to the dictates of those who scream the loudest, they've erased the rich history of what true food is.

mgirardo

Brunswick, GA

View Profile

Posted: 10/15/19 10:51am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We prefer going to local restaurants instead of chains. Although I do like Outback and Longhorn, most other chains are okay at best. Sorry, Steak and Shake does not even rate in my opinion.

Most of the time, the local restaurants feature local cuisine using locally harvested meat and produce - so both are usually fresh. Plus in a local restaurant, the chef can do his/her own thing and his/her name is on the line. It does make a big difference. With a chain, they just follow whatever corporate sets and if it isn't great, they don't care. Chefs don't become famous using other folks' recipes.

When we are traveling to new locations, we always ask the locals where the best places are to eat, rarely do they tell us about a chain restaurant.

-Michael

Michael Girardo
2017 Jayco Jayflight Bungalow 40BHQS Destination Trailer
2009 Jayco Greyhawk 31FS Class C Motorhome (previously owned)
2006 Rockwood Roo 233 Hybrid Travel Trailer (previously owned)
1995 Jayco Eagle 12KB pop-up (previously owned)

CFerguson

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 10/15/19 11:05am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I seem to remember a rule of thumb that you should eat where the truckers eat so even if it isn't any good, the scenery makes up for it.

Eat hole in the wall local. We scout for cleanliness and then roll the dice if they can pass that test.

georgelesley

Tennessee

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/15/19 11:33am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I refuse to buy a steak at a chain restaurant anymore. We just buy a really good grade at the local butcher and BBQ it ourselves. The last really good restaurant steak we have had was on a backroad just inside Alabama near the Georgia border we stumbled across. They supposedly raised and butchered their own. Very, very good but necessarily pricy.

Our MIL lives with us and loves Shoney’s because “the food has flavor”. So we go there from time to time. Since we have both decided we eat to live, not live to eat,, we do not eat out much anymore..

George & Lesley
2014 Itasca Sunova 33C, 2019 Jeep Cherokee Lattitude Plus toad, Demco/SMI towing system

down home

south

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/15/19 11:46am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

1975 I think e stopped for the first time at a Cracker Barrel north of Knoxville. Cracker Barrel was still operated by the original Owner of the Company. All around was mostly woods then.
The food is what would now be labeled grade A fancy. Can't find it now. No one grows vegetables like green beans to maturity nor ripeness where they are full of flavor.They harvest them small and beans inside pods not fully formed let alone ripe, in most cases. But they endure the rough treatment of tens of tons in trucks and handling of equipment at plants,plus they have a shorter growing season that way and can plant something else.
It is the same with all our vegetables in some regards. Oh an the food was hot and tasty and plenty of it and heated plates too, I believe. 3.70+ or some such figure for the two of us plus our 3year old daughter.
There are no Mom and Pops, anywhere around our home. On the mountain there are two but not that great. And they al serve the same cheapened canned or frozen foods. There has to be exceptions but I haven't found one. In Missouri ate at a coupe of Amish or Mennonite operate restaurants, far better than the supposed Amish restaurant in Hastings Kansas. Food excelled and service was quick and price modest in comparison to Chain maximized profitability food.
As far as buying fresh food to prepare. Tn during Alexander and another Governor tenure placed sales taxes on foods grown or raised and sold by the Farmers, and there is no longer any true Farmers Markets in Middle and East Tn. We use to buy bushels of green beans and so forth, and kennebeck potatoes 5.00 for 50 lbs.
It all goes to monopoly and top down economy control and rules.that is outside the rules.

rk911

Wheaton IL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/15/19 11:54am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

to us eating is a necessity, not an experience. our expectations are adjusted accordingly. the “fanciest” place we go to is Olive Garden.

Rich
Ham Radio, Sport Pilot
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

& MaggieThe Wonder Beagle

fj12ryder

Platte City, MO

View Profile

Posted: 10/15/19 12:05pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

rk911 wrote:

to us eating is a necessity, not an experience. our expectations are adjusted accordingly. the “fanciest” place we go to is Olive Garden.
Good food is a joy, and I mourn for your loss.

Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 10/15/19 12:29pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

"These days, even fast food can get near the $10/meal mark."

Near $10? I wish. Yes, Mc Barfs and BK have a few "meals" under $10, but anything fancy there and it's over 10.
Subway, Jimmy Johns, Potbellys, 5 guys, smash burger, Taco Time etc, any "better" fast food place is like $12-15.

Is what it is I suppose and the cost is somewhat dependent on the cost of living. I'm talking Seattle area mostly, but some outlying areas have figured out how to charge too.

Agree, under $10 a plate is not going to be worth writing home about. Barely make a turd with it!

"Yes Sir, Oct 10 1888, Those poor school children froze to death in their tracks. They did not even find them until Spring. Especially hard hit were the ones who had to trek uphill to school both ways, with no shoes." -Bert A.

rk911

Wheaton IL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/15/19 12:32pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

fj12ryder wrote:

rk911 wrote:

Good food is a joy, and I mourn for your loss.

thanks but not necessary. we are content.

JAC1982

Brighton, CO

View Profile

Posted: 10/15/19 12:34pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Grit dog wrote:

"These days, even fast food can get near the $10/meal mark."

Near $10? I wish. Yes, Mc Barfs and BK have a few "meals" under $10, but anything fancy there and it's over 10.
Subway, Jimmy Johns, Potbellys, 5 guys, smash burger, Taco Time etc, any "better" fast food place is like $12-15.

Is what it is I suppose and the cost is somewhat dependent on the cost of living. I'm talking Seattle area mostly, but some outlying areas have figured out how to charge too.

Agree, under $10 a plate is not going to be worth writing home about. Barely make a turd with it!

Yes I'm guessing it's a bit more in Seattle area [emoticon] I was thinking places like Chipotle, Jimmy John's or Chik Fil A.

And Taco Time is well worth the money, wish we had them here but they're always our first stop whenever we are somewhere that has one.

2017 Keystone Impact 351
2017 Ford F350 DRW King Ranch

2019 RAM 1500 Laramie Longhorn
2016 Ford Explorer Sport 3.5 Eco-Boost
2015 Polaris RZR 900S

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 8  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Modern Food?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.