Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: General RVing Issues: Modern Food?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Modern Food?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 8  
Prev  |  Next
down home

south

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/15/19 04:42pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JaxDad wrote:

Jayco-noslide wrote:

We know we're getting old and times are changing but we can't seem to get really quality food at restaurants.

Other than my DW's severe (and many) food allergies, 'home cooking' was the main reason for us owning a MH (two of them actually) in the first place.

It doesn't even have to be anything fancy either, I'm just fine with a fried ham steak, some 'taters and veggies.

There was some video that wet viral recently, shot by a kitchen worker at Panera, showing how they 'made' their famous Mac 'n' Cheese.

Take bagged frozen single serving from freezer and drop in pot of boiling water, remove bag from water, cut bag open, pour into bowl, serve to customer. $7.95 .......

Employee's next post was that they'd been fired for posting video .....

Fancy foods is not my forte either. I don't have a sophisticated palate, I suppose, where the appearance and rarity or taste like Caviar is familiar though the taste makes the tongue recoil.
Grand Ma cooked what she raised and canned or got out of the woods and basic foods familiar to Native Americans, cooked on a wood stove and done properly,
Mc Donalds and all the others are not about competing against other establishments for Customers with quality and variety.
Just like the VP of marketing for Marlin 1990 NRA meeting in Nashville," We are not in the business of building guns.We are in the business of making money." It has devolve now to the point of Global Monoplolies, Top Down Economics and Supply and demand is dead.
You buy the reduced selection available at the price demanded or do without. Supply Side Economics even and especially in Fast Food Chains. Fin one with maybe a different flavor pkg, for a while.
The best and most easily recognized of these monopolies are Soft Drinks!

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 10/15/19 06:38pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Chum lee wrote:

Unfortunately today in order to stay competitive, most chain restaurants serve some form of highly processed slop that is loaded with highly refined carbohydrates/proteins/fats (sugar, flour, soy, flavor enhancers, extenders, preservatives, unsaturated fats, etc.) to increase the shelf life and reduce the price of the raw food. (if you can still call it that)

Eat real food.

Chum lee

Except you can get good REAL green chile everywhere, so you lucky!

Just had 50lbs shipped up here and roasted it a couple weeks ago, 'nother year's supply.

"Yes Sir, Oct 10 1888, Those poor school children froze to death in their tracks. They did not even find them until Spring. Especially hard hit were the ones who had to trek uphill to school both ways, with no shoes." -Bert A.

free radical

Canada

View Profile

Posted: 10/15/19 09:07pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I find Tim Hortons and burger chains food prety decent in Canada
Superstores and WM have good deli meals too.

When traveling in Japan I love to eat in Convenience stores,they have fresh foods made daily and surprisingly low priced too.
Enjoy
https://youtu.be/GzfZICLesxw

down home

south

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/15/19 11:45pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Nothing quit like Service Station or7/11 cuisine! [emoticon]

blownstang01

Upstate NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/16/19 04:31am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We very much dislike chain restaurants. Everything frozen and pre-prepared , worried about preservatives, and of course taste. Unfortunately we are living in a world that family diners cannot survive in. Some of the freshest and tastiest food I've had recently is from Food Trucks. When we do go out to eat, we expect large portions of quality ingredient, made to order food. Sadly, it's getting harder to find on the road when you don't know the area.

Tvov

CT

View Profile

Posted: 10/16/19 05:28am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Funny this thread pops up.

I barbeque a lot at home, and with daughter being semi-vegetarian we cook a lot of interesting and good vegetable based meals.

I have found recently (last few years maybe? maybe last 10 years plus?) that restaurant food in general seems remarkably bland - and a lot seems similar from restaurant to restaurant. We've given up on virtually all chain restaurants. Last time we were at a Cracker Barrel (over 5 years ago) all the food tasted like microwave TV dinners.

We got a couple restaurant coupons as gifts a couple years ago, and they could be used at Longhorn Steakhouse. We found one a couple towns away and went there. We were amazed at how mediocre everything tasted. Maybe and hopefully it was just the restaurant we went to, but we haven't been back.

Local expensive restaurants are okay, but not great. Seems like a trend is to spend extra time on "signature" appetizers and have standard main entrees. A few restaurants we just buy extra appetizers and have those as meals.

And what is up with McDonald's?? Even they have gotten worse. They have reduced the staff and now have "order kiosks"... I stopped in one on my home recently and ordered (from real person!) a couple bacon egg cheese biscuits and coffee. He handed me a number and told me to sit down and they would bring out the meal... It was not busy, and there was maybe 1 or 2 cars in the drive thru.... 10 (TEN!) minutes go by and I get up to see if they had forgotten me. They were just getting my food ready. And it was stale. McDonald's used to be fast - for those who remember, as quick as the cashier would ring you up the food would be on the counter... and it was cooked right then, not warmed up in a microwave. That is why it was called "fast food"... not any more.

So, YES it seems to me that restaurants have gotten mediocre. The only thing we can do about it is to find the good restaurants and frequent them. But even that doesn't always work - too often, the good restaurants try to find ways to become "more efficient", and then the mediocrity starts creeping in.

Back to my own grill!

JRscooby

Indepmo

View Profile

Posted: 10/16/19 06:16am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

CFerguson wrote:

I seem to remember a rule of thumb that you should eat where the truckers eat so even if it isn't any good, the scenery makes up for it.

LOL, that was true long ago. When drivers ran the same road every few days they new where the best places to eat. By the mid '70s, a large parking lot was more important because sleeper operations, where the driver might not stop at same place twice where more common. But at that time, selling fuel was the goal, so truckstop chains tried to serve good food so drivers would fuel while eating. (Most pull to pump, go in restaurant. They would fuel the truck, and move it out of the way) By about 2000, most truckstops had changed to "Travel Centers", the profit is the high prices charged for the cheap stuff sold in the store. Instead of restaurant, lease space to McD or Subway.

Quote:

Eat hole in the wall local. We scout for cleanliness and then roll the dice if they can pass that test.

LOL. The term "Hole in the Wall" dates back to the time when the undesirable class was not allowed in the restaurant, but could go around to the side and buy food thru the window. Now look at how much "food" is served thru a drive up window.

rk911 wrote:

JRscooby wrote:

One thing I can not understand is why they can not serve a sandwich without so much of some kind of sauce that you have sauce running down your arm? No matter how good the sauce I will not lick my elbow.

EZ solution for that. tell the order taker to hold the sauce or put the sauce on the side.

But why should I risk confusing, or worse PO the underpaid guy stacking the sandwich together? Do you understand that sauce on the meat may add flavor, but if it runs off it is just hiding how dry the meat is?

wanderingaimlessly

SOBOVA

View Profile

Posted: 10/16/19 06:57am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Slow versions of what was fast food can be answered easily, menu additions.
Look at the size of the menu and then check out the drink selections, sodas, tea, and now milkshakes competing with smoothies and every kind of crappachino they can dream up. There literally isnt room enough in the back to staff all those stations and turn out food that is prepared on site.

fj12ryder

Platte City, MO

View Profile

Posted: 10/16/19 07:12am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JRscooby wrote:

rk911 wrote:

JRscooby wrote:

One thing I can not understand is why they can not serve a sandwich without so much of some kind of sauce that you have sauce running down your arm? No matter how good the sauce I will not lick my elbow.

EZ solution for that. tell the order taker to hold the sauce or put the sauce on the side.

But why should I risk confusing, or worse PO the underpaid guy stacking the sandwich together? Do you understand that sauce on the meat may add flavor, but if it runs off it is just hiding how dry the meat is?
If you're eating at a place where simply amending a sandwich order will upset the waiter, then that's part of your problem. Go some place where you can get what you want, how you want it.

Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

JRscooby

Indepmo

View Profile

Posted: 10/16/19 07:37am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

fj12ryder wrote:

If you're eating at a place where simply amending a sandwich order will upset the waiter, then that's part of your problem. Go some place where you can get what you want, how you want it.

Have you ever been advised not to irritate a old man because he may be mad to be old, and might push him over the edge?
By the same idea, the guy stacking the sandwich might not be happy with his job.
To me, a sandwich is a meal you can wash hands, eat with no tools, and only have bread touch your hands. Brush of hands, go back to work. Nowadays, anyplace they serve mostly sandwiches, napkins fill the trash cans, and the outside of the wash-room door is not something I want to touch.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 8  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Modern Food?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.