cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Where do you find water

Roy_Lynne
Explorer
Explorer
while boondocking. We plan a trip thru the southwest this winter and wonder where you fill you water tanks? Is it even an issue?
23 REPLIES 23

bpounds
Nomad
Nomad
The only faucets I see at truck stops or gas stations are as a part of the dump facilities.

Maybe it is just me, but I don't fill from faucets at dump stations. Seen too many ugly things at dump stations. So no matter how much my right brain tells me it's all the same city water, my left brain tells me go somewhere else.
2006 F250 Diesel
2011 Keystone Cougar 278RKSWE Fiver

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
Smarty, I guess they are less strict about water in New Mexico than in California -- many truck stop faucets here require special wrenches, exactly to prevent us from "borrowing" their water! ๐Ÿ˜‰
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."

smarty
Explorer
Explorer
Won't be an issue if you pay attention, Love's truck stops usually have a spigot, as do many gas stations.

Happytraveler
Explorer
Explorer
We carry a long water hose with us incase were next to a water spigot. We also have a 65 gallon water tank with pump in the back of our CRV. We only take it with us if we know we have to haul water.
Charlie, a male Soft Coated Wheaten Terrier
Katie, a female Soft Coated Wheaten Terrier

bpounds
Nomad
Nomad
I'm a bit late to this thread...

Finding water is one of the things I do worry about a little when on longer trips, when going to places I haven't become familiar with.

I can always find water, but the trick is finding water while the trailer is in tow. Most of the suggestions so far for locating water have been good. But may not be convenient to pull up with a trailer.

So I make a habit of having one or two of these 7 gallon aqua-tainers in the truck. While the trailer is left in camp, and we are out exploring in the truck, we'll find water easily. And grabbing 7 or 14 gallons in jugs always goes over well with the locals. Filling a trailer tank might not be so agreeable, when they have no idea how much they are giving. So we just keep those jugs filled whenever the opportunity arises.

Then I rigged up a little platform to hold the jug while it drains into the tank. Folds up and stores in a compartment. Others use a 12v pump and I'm sure that works well too.

2006 F250 Diesel
2011 Keystone Cougar 278RKSWE Fiver

dave54
Explorer III
Explorer III
doxiemom11 wrote:
In Arizona, there are water kiosks outside gas stations, grocery stores, Walmarts etc where you can fill gallon jugs for 25c or the large 5 gallon jugs for $1. Some areas do not have tap water that is very good, therefore the kiosks. I just used google to find them as we moved around.

The water in Arizona, especially along the Colorado River corridor, is so heavily mineralized you cannot drink it. Even showering is like getting sandblasted. So taste the water first to see if you even want it in your tank.
We have a double filter system and I replace the filters about every two weeks in Arizona.

Drinking water is bottled or from the kiosks. Tank water is for showering and toilets. We don't even wash dishes with tank water.
=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=
So many campsites, so little time...
~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~

doxiemom11
Explorer II
Explorer II
In Arizona, there are water kiosks outside gas stations, grocery stores, Walmarts etc where you can fill gallon jugs for 25c or the large 5 gallon jugs for $1. Some areas do not have tap water that is very good, therefore the kiosks. I just used google to find them as we moved around.

was_butnotnow
Explorer
Explorer
I have stopped at rural fire departments and asked if I could get water.
Now in a 05 Monaco Cayman DP 36 PDQ
Traveled many years in NuWa Hitchhiker 5th wheels.
Travel Journals and Adventures of people living this lifestyle

Hitchitch.com

Personal blog with our own travels. www.fulltime.hitchitch.com

was_butnotnow
Explorer
Explorer
I have stopped at rural fire departments and asked if I could get water.
Now in a 05 Monaco Cayman DP 36 PDQ
Traveled many years in NuWa Hitchhiker 5th wheels.
Travel Journals and Adventures of people living this lifestyle

Hitchitch.com

Personal blog with our own travels. www.fulltime.hitchitch.com

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
We don't strictly boondock. We mix it up. We may go a week boondocking then hit an RV park or St park where we can dump, refill and top off the batteries.
If we are between boondocking spots we fill the fresh water when we dump using the potable water.

Roy_Lynne
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks so much. We plan to be gone for most of the winter and spring so our tank wont last that long.

philh
Explorer II
Explorer II
lane hog wrote:
We carry a couple extra 5 gallon "water cooler" bottles. That's our drinking and wash water. Easy enough to haul and carry, and more durable than clear plastic jugs. Many Walmarts and grocery stores now have bottled water refill stations, but you can also refill at a well or spigot without needing a thief attachment.

We have (6) 3.5gallon waterbrick "jugs". They stack real nice under the tonneau cover, and are interlinked.

lane_hog
Explorer II
Explorer II
We carry a couple extra 5 gallon "water cooler" bottles. That's our drinking and wash water. Easy enough to haul and carry, and more durable than clear plastic jugs. Many Walmarts and grocery stores now have bottled water refill stations, but you can also refill at a well or spigot without needing a thief attachment.
  • 2019 Grand Design 29TBS (had a Winnebago and 3x Jayco owner)
  • 2016 F-150 3.5L MaxTow (had Ram 2500 CTD, Dodge Durango)
  • 130W solar and 2005 Honda EU2000i twins that just won't quit

toedtoes
Explorer II
Explorer II
At least in the west, ask before filling at a public campground. Many have limited potable water access and that water needs to supply every one staying in the campground, not just one person's 100 gallon tank.
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)