cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Water pump issue

dms721
Explorer
Explorer
My water pump sputters anytime I turn the faucet on. It does pump but seems to pick up air and sputters both hot & cold. I did try just a 5 gallon bucket of water into pump and still does it.. Pump has been replaced once. Thanks for any answers..
Dan from NJ
5 REPLIES 5

RoyF
Explorer
Explorer
Another thing to check is the short hose line (if you have one) to be used for sucking anti-freeze into the system. If the cap on that line is loose then air can be sucked in.

doxiemom11
Explorer II
Explorer II
Ours does that if we don't change the setting from city to pump/tank use outside.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
If the pump sputters there is an air leak. a small enough hole may not drip water but will leak air.. Inspect the water line between pump and tank.

ALso remove line from tank if you can there may be an outlet strainer and it may be clogged.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Old-Biscuit
Explorer II
Explorer II
Sputtering Hot & Cold..........air is being pulled into SUCTION side of pump
Suction line from fresh water tank
Winterizing Kit
Strainer
Pump casing

those are the places air can enter....suction side of pump
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
dms721 wrote:
My water pump sputters anytime I turn the faucet on. It does pump but seems to pick up air and sputters both hot & cold. I did try just a 5 gallon bucket of water into pump and still does it.. Pump has been replaced once. Thanks for any answers..

There may be a small leak between the water tank and the pump where air is sucked in.

If the problem is just fast cycling of the pump, drain the water heater and refill to establish the air pocket in the top of the tank.