cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Onan 5500 marqiis install in 2019 Volante

hphutson
Explorer
Explorer
I am planning on installing an Onan 5500 marqiis install in 2019 Volante made by Crossroads. They are absolutely no help on the install and will not send pics or any info. I would like to see pics of others installs to determine what structural changes I need for the installation. I am very strong mechanically & electrically along with welding. I will wire the generator into a box plug that my shore power plug will plug into to start off and will eventually add the transfer switch etc.

We use our camper for softball tournaments, long trips in summer and winter camping. The generator is mainly for overnight stays during long trips and the softball tournaments. We play in two per month so dragging a honda eu3000is in and out & fueling during the two day weekends is not an option for me. Plus it will not run both ac units as the 5500 will.

I will install in the front, perform some type of structural build up, firewall around it and mount the gas tank between the frame rails near the rear axles like the toy haulers do. I plan on using this post to document my install for others to use.
Thanks
P
6 REPLIES 6

bobsallyh
Explorer II
Explorer II
I installed an Onan Marquis Gold 7000 in our then new Alfa fiver (2004) which had no gen prep. Having no gen prep is no big deal. The 5500 and 7000 have the same foot print. There was a guy in the park next to us which had a factory genny package in it along with the genny. I looked at it to get some ideas. After looking at the company's install he said "don't do it the way you see". Their install dropped the bottom of genny down below the bottom of the compartment about 1 1/4 inches. He had to have an Onan shop do warranty work on the genny, and the techs' made up new words getting the bottom of the genny high enough to clear the bottom of the cabinet door. I did some measuring and I could raise the Onan at least 1 1/4 inches above the bottom lip and still get it in the opening. I then took some inch square steel tubing, ground a slot the length of the tubing the width of the Onan mounting bolts. I made up some brackets to install these "rails" to the frame. This made it possible to slide the Onan in and out of the compartment if necessary just by loosening the 4 mounting bolts and removing the exhaust down pipe, and fuel line. I had a shop fabricate the sheet metal box for in the compartment. Remember that the bottom of this series of gennys require an open bottom. I used the West Marine website for a fuel tank, They have many plastic and metal tanks in all sorts of dimensions and gallons. The running of the wires for the remote start and hour meter into the fiver was simple. I did install a separate 12 volt start battery for the genny since the Onans have NO 12 volt charging circuit built into them. Don't ask how I found this out. The installation has worked very well as we still fulltime in the fiver. I just wish I could say the same thing about the Ono Onan. They are like an old woman, needing a lot of tender love and care. If I can be of more help just shoot me a PM.

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Do your self a favor get the Cummins 6500 โ€œCOMMERCIALโ€ so you have 220v with power to spare.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

STBRetired
Explorer
Explorer
The installation guide for your 5500 will specify what is needed in the way of support and ventilation in the floor of the generator area. I believe it only provides minimum clearances for the firewalls. Play close attention to airflow requirements.
1999 Newmar MACA 3796 F53 6.8L
2016 Ford Edge Sport
Roadmaster Sterling A/T with Brake Buddy Select

hphutson
Explorer
Explorer
Salesman said it was but it was not. The front compartment has a recessed metal floor to mount the genny & firewall too. I am not sure it is strong enough but will review it later today when I get to the camper. If I can easily drop a couple of angle iron pieces in to add additional support, I will.

I prefer gas over propane unless you can tell me the standard rv tanks will last from Friday till sunday running the genny under 75% load but it appears it will not. Installing the gas tank is really easy and the fuel pump on the marquis will supply the appropriate fuel.

Th main two things I need to have a better understanding on is the supports/floor the generator is mounted to and the firewall builds.
Please post or email some pics of your guys installs

romore
Explorer II
Explorer II
Rather than installing a gas tank why not run the genny on propane. Do you have room for a couple of 30# bottles? Also install a manual disconnect, you don't want to feed the genny with shore power.

you should not have to build up the front compartment..The propane is pretty straight forward,,, And by the sounds of it, your RV is NOT genny prepped ?
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet