Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: General RVing Issues: Campsite Sanitation - Beware
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Campsite Sanitation - Beware

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Next
Ride S40T

OK

View Profile

Posted: 10/15/19 07:54pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

So a few things we've witnessed in the past several months. Rare indeed, but only takes once to catch a nasty infection from an unsanitary site.

1. This weekend, watched a person few spots down rinsing their black water hose right under the fresh water spigot, splashing water from the water hookup all over the hookup itself. Stood there in disbelief and reached for my phone to zoom in to see if I was really seeing straight. Not in time.

Waited until they left and headed down there to sanitize the fresh water hookup with alcohol wipes and let the water run for a while. In hindsight, know I should have scooted over there and said something. Wasn't up for a brawl that early in the morning and wanted to be sure of what I saw. Just gross, though.

2. Earlier in the year, we arrived at after dark and went about our normal routine with headlamps only to find out after 20 min or so that I'd been walking through some black water runoff in tall grass near the hookups (toilet paper gave it away). It had been raining the night before so no solids and such.. Again, just gross.

We've added these to our checklist upon arrival: 1) always sanitize the water hookup because we have no idea what the people before were doing. We've always ran a little water before hooking up. But now it will get sanitized and then ran. And 2) Expand that all-important walk abound of the camp site prior to hookup.

For what it's worth. Play safe out there.

2019 Keystone Outback 250URS
2019 GMC Sierra Denali HD 3500 SRW
Traveling K9s Diesel and Roger

Lwiddis

Mojave, Kern County, California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/15/19 08:14pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

All to common unfortunately. Watched a newbie guy lay down at the Oh Ridge campground dump station to hookup the hose. Wife watched and coached him on what to do. Dumped, jumped back in their rented C and off they drove. Thankfully they skipped refilling their fresh water tank.

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, 300 watts solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL pole for flags. Prefer USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, USF&WS, state & county camps. Bicyclist! 14 year Army vet - 11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560)

Crowe

Merrimack, NH

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/15/19 08:23pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Regrettably this is not new information. Pretty scary.

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be Douglas Adams

RV-less for now but our spirits are still on the open road.

gbopp

The Keystone State

View Profile

Posted: 10/16/19 03:00am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ride S40T wrote:

In hindsight, know I should have scooted over there and said something.

Confronting the person would have done absolutely nothing except raise your blood pressure. They were part of the 'all about me' society and anything you said would have been ignored.

Sanitize everything before you hook up when at a new site. Most people are not hogs, but......

blownstang01

Upstate NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/16/19 04:13am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm Leary of everything in a campground. Just walk into one of the bathrooms in the am, what the hell happens at night ? People are gross and most don't care to clean up after themselves.

RandACampin

Kathleen, Georgia

View Profile

Posted: 10/16/19 05:31am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I really dont see the problem. If you hadn't seen it you would never know either.

dodge guy

Bartlett IL

View Profile

Posted: 10/16/19 06:08am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When you were born you were given this great thing called an immune system. If you don’t let it do it’s thing it will not work properly when the time comes!

As far as slobs, well there is nothing we can do about that after the fact! Just watch what you are doing if you are not sure!

Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

Airdaile

On The Road

View Profile

Posted: 10/16/19 06:30am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

And yet no wide-spread breakout of cholera in the camping community. As dodge guy said, your immune system has developed to take care of this. Over-sanitizing weakens the immune system. If it didn't work, everyone using a public bathroom anywhere would die.

lots2seeinmyrv

Neither Here nor There

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/16/19 06:46am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have seen people with dogs let their dog urinate on the picnic tables and water pedastals, disgusting.

We use Clorax Spray Foam Bleach on the water spigot before hooking up the hose.

noteven

Turtle Island

View Profile

Posted: 10/16/19 07:46am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

At a CA coast state beach campground a ranger told us he ticketed an individual the day before caught dumping tanks using the “prop the shower house door open dump in the shower stall method”.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Campsite Sanitation - Beware
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.