Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: General RVing Issues: Campsite Sanitation - Beware
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Campsite Sanitation - Beware

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev  |  Next
Ride S40T

OK

View Profile

Posted: 10/19/19 06:46pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Well, I started this thread. Glad I did. Great discussion and great points.

If someone is fine with folks before them being a bit less than sanitary and have been good - that's great. Wish them the best and uneventful camping.

For the rest of us who tend to lean toward keeping things a bit more sanitary (not phobic), that's great as well. There's a reason we use separate black water flush hoses and fresh water hoses, there's a reason the manufacturers recommend sanitizing the tank(s), there's a reason the nation's CDC recommends washing hands after well, everything...including intimate follies.

Just don't see the oopostition to using basic sanitary routines. What's the worst that comes from it? Think it's a waste of time? No problem. Do what you believe is good for you and the fam. It's not a phobia, it's based on science. As is the science of building a good immune system by not eliminating all germs.

The point of the post was to raise awareness. RV sales are reportedly up 300% over the past decade. That likely means many newbies to the game, like me. I did A LOT of research, watched every video possible, talked to friends who have RVs and read most all of the threads on this and other sites before our first trip last year - just to be sure we would do it right, have a good experience and yes, not break anything that cost major bucks. Not everyone is so diligent and as explained above, some may leave us unexpected gifts. And not singling out rookies like me, could be anyone who just doesn't care or someone who simply makes a mistake in what they're doing at a site. It happens.

Just shared for awareness. But the discussion has been great! Hope to see you down the road and I promise, WE WILL leave the campsite you're rolling in to very clean. No trash, no poop (ours or our dogs') and it will be better than we found it.

* This post was last edited 10/19/19 07:22pm by Ride S40T *   View edit history

2019 Keystone Outback 250URS
2019 GMC Sierra Denali HD 3500 SRW
Traveling K9s Diesel and Roger

JRscooby

Indepmo

View Profile

Posted: 10/20/19 07:02am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Re-reading the OP, talk of water splashing. To me, that is a indication the waste hose is not against the hydrant. I would think that anything on the hose would go with the flow, not upstream to the hydrant. And I would think the amount of nasty on the outside of hose would be limited. What is inside should stay inside, until it gets to the end. The OP said nothing about it, was the end still in the drain? To me, that would be the only issue.
Now a dumb truck driver's thoughts. As long as we have walked other animals have also dumped on the ground. And our bodies have adapted to that mess. Of course, more of us on the ground, washing and other cautions are needed. But, I do not worry much about what is in most semi-wild areas like parks or campgrounds. Now a lawn? A crop field? Do you know what chemicals have been spread on that? And then to think that most chemicals are produced based on "Will it sale?" not "Is it safe?"

DutchmenSport

Indiana

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/20/19 07:36am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Just curious??? If your campsite has a picnic table on site, do you wash down the table first before using it? Bird poo, racoons, bugs, even the previous occupant and black hoses on the table???? Just wondering if you wash it down first. (for what it's worth, we do, after we saw a racoon on the top of our table when we pulled in, something like 35 years ago! Been doing it ever since.

mdcamping

CT

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/20/19 07:50am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

DutchmenSport wrote:

Just curious??? If your campsite has a picnic table on site, do you wash down the table first before using it? Bird poo, racoons, bugs, even the previous occupant and black hoses on the table???? Just wondering if you wash it down first. (for what it's worth, we do, after we saw a racoon on the top of our table when we pulled in, something like 35 years ago! Been doing it ever since.

DW always throws one of those campsite tablecloth on ours, she buys them from camping world, they come with bungees that keep the tablecloth from blowing away

Mike

07 Toyota Tacoma,Double Cab, Max Towing 6,500lbs GCWR 11,100lbs
2011 Jayco X20E, Pro Series 800lb Weight Distributing Hitch
Husky Sway Bar, Prodigy Electronic Brake Control
McKesh Mirrors. "Towing with 200K"

Where we have camped

pasusan

Northernmost PA

View Profile

Posted: 10/21/19 05:52am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mdcamping wrote:

Cummins12V98 wrote:

Turn on spigot for few seconds, connect hose run for a few seconds, connect to RV.

yup

At a state campground in MA about 5 yrs back I was starting to finish up at a 2 way island dump station, guy pulls up on the opposite side in a New Class C, I glanced over noticed he was kind of nervous, well he opens his black tank valve and lets it rip! NO SEWER HOSE! I just got out of dodge fast! while leaving I did notice he was trying to wash it down with the non potable water spigot.

Mike

We just saw that at Liberty Harbor. It was a class C from overseas - I could tell because it was shaped weird and had a funky license plate.

They just pulled up close to the drain and opened the valve. No rinsing either. I wondered if that's the way they do it where they come from...

Luckily there was a good rain before we had to dump.

"I'm out here to enjoy nature -- don't talk to me about the environment!" ~Denny Crane

Susan & Ben
2004 Roadtrek 170 for quick getaways
84 Bronco & 90 Award Classic 23 joined with a Hensley Cub for longer trips
Trip Pics

Edd505

Elephant Butte, NM

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/21/19 10:48am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

magicbus wrote:

Well, technically, everyone using a public bathroom will die [emoticon], but I agree. I guess it's kind of like the "driving with propane on" discussions. Some people don't worry about it and some are adamant. Dave

I have a fully self contained unit so I do not have to use any public facility, I also know who slept in the bed last night. Even good motels are nasty, they change sheets and reuse the bedspread - yuk. What was on that floor before I got there?

2015 F350 FX4 SRW 6.7 Crew, longbed - 2017 Durango Gold 353RKT
2006 F350 SRW 6.0 crew longbed sold
2000 F250 SRW 7.3 extended longbed airbags sold
2001 Western Star 4900EX sold
Jayco Eagle 30.5BHLT sold, Layton 24.5LT sold

ppine

Northern Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 10/21/19 08:55pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Third World countries have tremendous health problems because the water and waste streams are not entirely separated. That is exactly what we are talking about here. Bad practices by people that don't know or don't care about fecal contamnation of fresh water.

I was teaching some high school kids about water quality last week on the Carson River. Fecal coliform bacteria is one of the main parameters we measure. At 5 ppm no problem At 100 ppm it can be a big problem. Use caution. People are stupid.

JRscooby

Indepmo

View Profile

Posted: 10/22/19 05:45am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Edd505 wrote:

magicbus wrote:

Well, technically, everyone using a public bathroom will die [emoticon], but I agree. I guess it's kind of like the "driving with propane on" discussions. Some people don't worry about it and some are adamant. Dave

I have a fully self contained unit so I do not have to use any public facility, I also know who slept in the bed last night. Even good motels are nasty, they change sheets and reuse the bedspread - yuk. What was on that floor before I got there?

And still you will die.
I have used public bathrooms all my life. But at times I have slept in my truck when the motel bill would of been paid by others.

drsteve

Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 10/22/19 09:21am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ppine wrote:

Third World countries have tremendous health problems because the water and waste streams are not entirely separated. That is exactly what we are talking about here. Bad practices by people that don't know or don't care about fecal contamnation of fresh water.

I was teaching some high school kids about water quality last week on the Carson River. Fecal coliform bacteria is one of the main parameters we measure. At 5 ppm no problem At 100 ppm it can be a big problem. Use caution. People are stupid.

That's what a lot of folks don't understand. Our immune systems routinely deal with LOW levels of bacteria, the trouble begins when levels are so high they overwhelm the capabilities of even a healthy immune system.

It makes sense to err on the side of caution.

2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

ppine

Northern Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 10/22/19 09:25am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There is some portion of the population of the US, estimated by some surveys around 25% that do not wash their hands after they defecate in a public rest room. Plain common sense seems to be disappearing. Keep that in mind when you go out in public.

Now that I am approaching 70, I notice my immune system is not as strong as it used to be.

One of the tricks I learned on commercial raft trips is that they always have a means for people to wash their hands before meals. I always bring a steel wash basin and soap. It prevents outbreaks of digestive problems. A small bottle of Chlorox can be used to put a few drops in the dish wash water.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Campsite Sanitation - Beware
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.