Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: General RVing Issues: Campsite Sanitation - Beware
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Campsite Sanitation - Beware

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev
4x4van

California

View Profile

Posted: 11/04/19 03:36pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ride S40T wrote:

4x4van wrote:

drsteve wrote:

Love these threads, there's always someone who thinks sanitation is no big deal because they haven't died yet.
And there's always someone who thinks that dumping your black tank requires a full hazmat suit and decontamination facilities.

BTW, I've seen it mentioned here a couple of times that "manufacturers recommend sanitizing RV water tanks every 6 months..." Hmmm...I've never seen that recommendation from an RV manufacturer. I've owned 3 RVs over the past 30 years, all 3 purchased used...and I've sanitized the freshwater system maybe twice...just because the water got a bit stale after sitting a couple of months.

There's an independent packet or notice I read that said to sanitize the tank every 6 mos but the big manual says every year. We tend to camp about every 2-4 weeks throughout the year (empty nesters) so the water in the tank doesn't sit long. From our manual:

Sanitizing the Fresh Water System
Keeping the fresh water system clean and free of any potential contaminations should be a top priority. Sanitizing the system before initial use and thereafter annually, or whenever water remains unused for prolonged durations, is recommended. This will help keep the water system fresh and discourage harmful bacterial or viral growth.
Keystone RV Company Owners Manual 4/1/2018

I'm a big fan of using the fresh water tank as well. We usually do 2-dayers Fri/Sat so we try to keep it simple at setup and get into the woods or off fishing. We did 3 trips of about 1,000 mi one-way and on those we just keep enough to pee on the road. No sense in beating up the tank bands with the extra weight, fuel mileage, etc.
I stand corrected: In my owner's manual, it does indeed address sanitizing the freshwater tank, although it gives no specific time frame:
"DISINFECTING FRESHWATER SYSTEMS ON RECREATION VEHICLES (As approved by the U.S. Public Health Service)To assure complete disinfection of your fresh water system, it is recommended that the follow-ing procedure be followed on a new system, one that has not been used for a period of time, or one that may have become contaminated."

I travel with a full tank, filling from a safe treated municipal supply at home, and seldom if ever refill on the road from campgrounds.

We don't stop playing because we grow old...We grow old because we stop playing!

2004 Itasca Sunrise M-30W
Carson enclosed ATV Trailer
-'85 ATC250R (2), '85 BW200, '07 TRX400EX, '12 Husky TE310
Zieman Jetski Trailer
-'96 GTi, '96 Waveblaster II, '95 FX1

DewLess

North Indiana

View Profile

Posted: 11/04/19 04:47pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Along these same kinds of germ contamination that I have seen was the grossest to me was during days when still employed. The large breakbulk that we hauled freight into had a restroom for both drivers and dock labor. Being in Michigan during winter it seemed to be the best place for lunch,, seeing someone perched on throne, lunch bucket between ankles, pants down, takin care of business. Odors abundant,, I will not go on.

qtla9111

Monterrey, Mexico

View Profile

Posted: 11/04/19 05:01pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

That's just as bad as sitting there and talking on a cellphone telling someone how much you love them [emoticon]

2005 Dodge Durango Hemi
2008 Funfinder 230DS
Living and Boondocking Mexico Blog

JRscooby

Indepmo

View Profile

Posted: 11/05/19 04:36am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

DewLess wrote:

Along these same kinds of germ contamination that I have seen was the grossest to me was during days when still employed. The large breakbulk that we hauled freight into had a restroom for both drivers and dock labor. Being in Michigan during winter it seemed to be the best place for lunch,, seeing someone perched on throne, lunch bucket between ankles, pants down, takin care of business. Odors abundant,, I will not go on.

Is that any worse than handing the BOL to grocery receiver clerk, "Is there a restroom I can use?" No!

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Campsite Sanitation - Beware
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS