Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

newbie question about winterizing water lines and pump

nykolas
Explorer
Explorer
hi

I have some questions about winterizing my 2008 Everest fifth wheel.

I bought it at the beginning of the season and parked it on my piece of land.

I only went on weekends and day trips so I never bothered flushing the antifreeze out of the plumbing lines.

The Canadian winter is approaching and I was wondering can I leave the same antifreeze in all winter long for a second time?

I do not know much about the mechanics of 1/5 wheel I did try to start the pump but I could not figure out how.

The panel near the fuses had a switch for pump but it wasn't one that turned on and off it always came back to the same position.

I tried to find another switch or something else that controls the water pump and I could not.

Can anyone shine some light on my problems ๐Ÿ™‚

Always appreciated

Nicholas
6 REPLIES 6

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
nykolas wrote:
thanks for all the replies

I am curious though to start the pump and when I go back this weekend I will try to find a secondary switch .. . Does that pump only work on 12v from battery or does it work if I have a generator and have 120?

thanks

It works from the 12V system. When connected to 120V power, whether from a generator or the electric grid, the converter should supply 12V power for the pump and other 12V systems. When no AC power is available, of course, the 12V power comes from the battery alone. Most modern converters will work properly with no battery connected, but a fair few older ones did require a battery to work properly.

If you're ever towing your trailer, you need to have a battery installed for the breakaway trailer brakes to operate (a legal requirement in many areas).

RJsfishin
Explorer
Explorer
Antifreeze probably ok for the winter.

As far as I know there is always a pump switch on the monitor panel.
The other switch you describe sounds more like a circuit breaker, If it doesn't stay in the reset position, there may be a short in the water pump circuit somewhere.
The pump runs on 12v only either from the battery or the 12v converter when plugged in to shore power. All the 12v stuff runs on battery all the time, the converter charges the battery when plugged in.
Rich

'01 31' Rexall Vision, Generac 5.5k, 1000 watt Honda, PD 9245 conv, 300 watts Solar, 150 watt inv, 2 Cos 6v batts, ammeters, led voltmeters all over the place, KD/sat, 2 Oly Cat heaters w/ ox, and towing a 2012 Liberty, Lowe bass boat, or a Kawi Mule.

nykolas
Explorer
Explorer
thanks for all the replies

I am curious though to start the pump and when I go back this weekend I will try to find a secondary switch .. . Does that pump only work on 12v from battery or does it work if I have a generator and have 120?

thanks

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
nykolas wrote:
hi

I have some questions about winterizing my 2008 Everest fifth wheel.

I bought it at the beginning of the season and parked it on my piece of land.

I only went on weekends and day trips so I never bothered flushing the antifreeze out of the plumbing lines.

The Canadian winter is approaching and I was wondering can I leave the same antifreeze in all winter long for a second time?

I do not know much about the mechanics of 1/5 wheel I did try to start the pump but I could not figure out how.

The panel near the fuses had a switch for pump but it wasn't one that turned on and off it always came back to the same position.

I tried to find another switch or something else that controls the water pump and I could not.

Can anyone shine some light on my problems ๐Ÿ™‚

Always appreciated

Nicholas

Yes.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

harley4275
Explorer
Explorer
Pour anti down the traps and into toilet. Leave all taps open if you are leary, wont hurt anything.
2013 Sunset Trail 25RB TT
2015 Silverado 2500HD 4x4 6.0 l gasser.
Equilizer 4 pt
From Belle River, Ontario
2003 Mountain Star 890sbrx Truck Camper

ggardne2
Explorer
Explorer
If it was winterized properly and you never ran water through the lines or drained the anti-freeze you should be fine. In terms of your pump switch, this sounds like a momentary switch that turns on when pushed up, off when pushed down. Usually this type of switch in a camper is an indication that there is a second switch somewhere in the circuit (sometimes in the control panel and perhaps in a bathroom). IF your system is pressurized pusing the switch up woudl energize the pump circuit but the pump would not run as the pressure in the ilnes is high enough.