cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Where Fill Trans Fluid ?

TC_Z
Explorer
Explorer
We have a 2007 Winn Voyage 38J on a Workhorse W24 chassis 8.1L gas engine. The owner's manual says if the transmission fluid is low to add some. But doesn't tell me where the transmission fill cap is. The transmission dip stick tube seems too small to serve as a fill tube. Where is it?

As always, many thanks....
TC&Z
2007 Winn Voyage 38J, gas 8.1L engine
2018 Jeep Cherokee flat tow
9 REPLIES 9

Rick_Jay
Explorer II
Explorer II
You probably already know this, but in case you don't, that transmission should be filled with Transynd synthetic fluid from the factory. Make sure whatever you use is compatible (TES 295) with that.

~Rick
2005 Georgie Boy Cruise Master 3625 DS on a Workhorse W-22
Rick, Gail, 1 girl (27-Angel since 2008), 1 girl (22), 2 boys (23 & 20).
2001 Honda Odyssey, Demco Aluminator tow bar & tow plate, SMI Silent Partner brake controller.

crawford
Explorer
Explorer
ndrorder wrote:
Be sure you are using the correct process to check the fluid. Some are checked when the fluid is hot and the engine idling in park or neutral or when cold or . . . etc. Add fluid in small amounts. Overfilling an automatic can cause big issues.

Some now don't even have dip sticks any more LOL
Change from a c class to a A class Georgetown 07 triple slide

MountainAir05
Explorer II
Explorer II
wildtoad wrote:
I can’t remember owning a car where you didn’t fill it thru the dipstick tube.

You must not have check many new vehicles. No dip stick.

ndrorder
Explorer
Explorer
Be sure you are using the correct process to check the fluid. Some are checked when the fluid is hot and the engine idling in park or neutral or when cold or . . . etc. Add fluid in small amounts. Overfilling an automatic can cause big issues.

wildtoad
Explorer II
Explorer II
I can’t remember owning a car where you didn’t fill it thru the dipstick tube.
Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2dr HT

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
There’s no transmission dip stick for checking/adding on 2019 Chevrolet 1500s.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

SidecarFlip
Explorer
Explorer
2007 huh? Bet the fluid and filter could use a change. Not a 'flush', a change. Flushing a slush box can do bad things to the valve body. Drop the pan, the fluid and change the filter and pull the plug on the torque converter and drain that as well and then add fluid...

Through the dipstick tube.

Slush boxes have to be the most neglected component in a drive train today and the most expensive to repair / replace and most issues come about from 2 things, first is neglect and second is inadequate cooling of the fluid.
2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB

K_Charles
Explorer
Explorer
The dipstick tube is the place.

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
I used a funnel like this to fill mine through the dipstick tube. It does take someone to hold the funnel while you add the fluid or you can do it yourself if you are only adding a quart.