cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Solar wiring route?

gkainz
Explorer
Explorer
Thinking about dropping the solar panel wire over the edge of the roof at the awning, making a small drip loop on the side, then following the awning power cable to the basement. Shortens the run by about 20' over using the fridge vent and keeps me from dropping the belly again.

Thoughts?

'07 Ram 2500 CTD 4x4 Quad Cab
'10 Keystone Laredo 245 5er
12 REPLIES 12

gvisnic
Explorer
Explorer
Look at this product on amazon

Link Solar Weatherproof ABS Solar Double Cable Entry Gland for All Cable Types 2mmยฒ to 6mmยฒ for Solar Project on Rv, Campervan, Boat
Link to Amazon page.

elivi8
Explorer
Explorer
In my last trailer I dropped it over the side and used plastic wiring channel which I stuck to the side. This went all the down and then I went up through the bottom with the existing holes for the battery cutoff switch. It looked good and you could do the same right beside the awning. This eliminated any Dicor or Eternabond and didn't need a drip loop as the water would go straight down anyways.
2012 F-150 EcoBoost, Max Trailer Tow
2019 Outdoors Timber Ridge 27BHS
490 Watts of Solar

bpounds
Nomad
Nomad
Whatever route you choose, it is much nicer to deal with a single sheathed cable, instead of a pair of loose wires.

I used this stuff.
10AWG Multi-Cond Cable
2006 F250 Diesel
2011 Keystone Cougar 278RKSWE Fiver

12thgenusa
Explorer
Explorer
I ran mine down the black tank vent and broke it out in the basement through a sealed fitting.

2007 Tundra DC 4X4 5.7, Alcan custom rear springs, 2009 Cougar 245RKS, 370 watts ET solar, Victron BMV-712, Victron SmartSolar 100/30, 200AH LiP04 bank, ProWatt 2000.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
I did what Kent did. Shortest route, zero leaks.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

corvettekent
Explorer
Explorer
I drilled a hole in my roof and ran the wires down inside the bedroom closet to the basement. I did this seven years ago and I have zero leaks. I sealed it with Dicor.
2022 Silverado 3500 High Country CC/LB, SRW, L5P. B&W Companion Hitch with pucks. Hadley air horns.

2004 32' Carriage 5th wheel. 860 watts of solar MPPT, two SOK 206 ah LiFePO4 batteries. Samlex 2,000 watt Pure Sine Wave Inverter.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Another vote for using the fridge chimney
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

gkainz
Explorer
Explorer
In the photo above, there is a channel guard inside the awning arm that covers the wire to the power awning head. So, the only exposure is the 6" or so from top of awning bracket to roof. The wires "could" go under that guard and be completely protected, except for that top 6".

bpounds
Nomad
Nomad
Faced with a similar situation, it was a long round-about to reach the fridge stack, I chose to snake it inside an interior wall. But it all depends on your floor plan.

Personally I would exhaust all other ideas before I ran wires down the outside. If I had to use the route you're thinking of, I would probably prefer to lay the wires along the outside of the awning channel, and cover them with Eternabond tape.
2006 F250 Diesel
2011 Keystone Cougar 278RKSWE Fiver

Mark_Heisler
Explorer II
Explorer II
go through the fridge vent
2003 dodge 2wheel drive diesel 375hp 750torque
2007 citation fifth wheel model 29bhs
to see pictures of my truck and fifth-wheel click on view profile

gkainz
Explorer
Explorer
yeah, I wondered about that. Very easy to snag on something and rip off. Eternabond tape would solve that, but I'm not keen on how that would look on the outside edge...

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
Looks to me like it would be prone to damage from tree branches etc. I may well be wrong there.