Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Travel Trailers: How cold can you go?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> How cold can you go?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev  |  Next
rockhillmanor

On the Road

View Profile

Posted: 10/17/19 08:30am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Can you? Yes.
Will it be comfortable No.

RV's are not insulated. Windows are not thermo pane and they have a lot of windows.

I was in Florida where it just got close to 32 degrees for a couple of days. It sucked. You have to cover your windows with insulating material which then you can't see out to keep warm. Couldn't fathom RV'ing colder than that and with snowstorms.

And in my case I have a MH with a huge windshield that also has to be covered to keep the cold out and had to insulate all three of my roof vents because the are just a plastic lid not sealed etc etc.

You also have to winterize all your water lines and hot water heater.

Soooo the die hards that winter camp will say its great, but for me I found it not much fun. [emoticon]

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

ppine

Northern Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 10/17/19 09:22am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thousands of people live in RVs year around in the Rocky Mountain states. It can be done, but takes some planning.
I have been on plenty of hunting trips in a wall tent and a wood stove in cold weather, sometimes below zero.
The main issue in an RV is the plumbing. Face the sun and open your window shades. Run the furnace. Use heat tape if you have power. Use anti-freeze. Pay attention and you will be fine.

pianotuna

Regina, SK, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 10/17/19 10:14am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Both PhotoMike and Moving Sue have boondocked at -40. My own personal best is -37 c (-34 f). I was in a class C diesel and had a mix of summer and winter fuel. I got lucky.

The worst for me was being in a 4 day blizzard where the daily high was -25. I burned lots of propane and used lots of fuel for the generator as the solar was producing little energy (it was, at that time, a 30 watt system).

Winter camping can be fun. It is more fun if there is power.

Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp hours of AGM in two battery banks 12 volt batteries, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

campbikemom

New York

View Profile

Posted: 10/17/19 11:28am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Guys, my question was strictly related to whether the pipes and tanks would survive if we camped with water. There are plenty of campgrounds open in NY at that time and I've backpacked into the teens at night, so a heated and insulated (as wimpy as the insulation might be) will be dreamy.

Thanks for the suggestions. We will keep an eye on the weather and see what it looks like when we get closer. If it appears it might be a dicey temperature then we'll plan on dry camping with jugs of water like the tent and 1980's Jayco popup days.

campbikemom

New York

View Profile

Posted: 10/17/19 11:35am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jamesu wrote:

Just a thought.

If your RV is stowed on your property could you do your 4 year old’s birthday “camping trip” there, instead of venturing off with all the concerns and parameters that freezing temp camping entails? Keep the propane furnace running, cart needed supplies in and out of the house, spend the night, and have fun. The little tyke is on the short side of 4, and I’ll bet those memories will stick just about as well as if you went far afield and maybe ended up with frozen pipes out in the country. Back in the day it worked when mine turned 3, and he still talks about it. He’ll be 30 on his next birthday.

Just a thought.

Good suggestion. We do that at least once a year already. Exploring the wild is what makes it exciting for him so another driveway adventure wouldn't have the same appeal. BUT we did talk about worst-case just hooking up the camper, driving to a state or county park with no camping and set up in the parking lot for the day and then going home at night.

At the end of the day, though a cake, some presents, and a banner would probably appease him! We really actually like camping that time of year because it's dead everywhere. It's not so much if we will go it's how we'll manage it. We already don't use the toilet in the camper and we could go without showers for 2 nights. I DO like having hot running water for dishes and washing my face, but we've done probably hundreds of nights in the wilderness without those luxuries so it's definitely not a deal-breaker.

solismaris

Massachusetts

View Profile

Posted: 10/17/19 11:50am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Another concern not mentioned is the slide. Don't try to operate it in sub-freezing weather. You may tear the gasket - a very expensive mistake.

If I'm expecting a cold night and leaving the next day I'll make sure the slide is closed before going to sleep while it is still warmish.

David Kojen

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/17/19 12:01pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

campbikemom wrote:

Guys, my question was strictly related to whether the pipes and tanks would survive if we camped with water. There are plenty of campgrounds open in NY at that time and I've backpacked into the teens at night, so a heated and insulated (as wimpy as the insulation might be) will be dreamy.

Thanks for the suggestions. We will keep an eye on the weather and see what it looks like when we get closer. If it appears it might be a dicey temperature then we'll plan on dry camping with jugs of water like the tent and 1980's Jayco popup days.
Most RV water systems are fine down to about 25F overnight while in use. Dump late in the afternoon and don't force the valves open. Keep a close eye on your propane level and what time the propane store closes for the night.

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

CavemanCharlie

Storden,MN

View Profile

Posted: 10/18/19 09:16pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

BobsYourUncle wrote:

I was FT in my TT for 2 Alberta winters. Got a little dicey at minus 33C for a while but I made it. Propane didn't flow too well, had to open cabinet doors to get heat in to my pipes, had the occasional freeze up....
No heated or enclosed underbelly. Single glazed windows.
Dumping was a real going show. But I made it work.

But that was minus 33, not just a few degrees into freezing.

I wouldn't think twice about camping in the temperatures you mention. That's still almost t-shirt weather!! [emoticon]

You make it sound easy but, didn't you underwear freeze to the wall of your camper ??? Maybe the kid might not enjoy that at his age. [emoticon]

CavemanCharlie

Storden,MN

View Profile

Posted: 10/18/19 09:18pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ppine

Northern Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 10/19/19 06:34am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Compared to sleeping in the open or under canvas, RVs are well insulated.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> How cold can you go?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS