Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Travel Trailers: How cold can you go?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> How cold can you go?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev
ppine

Northern Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 11/03/19 07:57am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

As cold as is necessary.
Compared to being in a tent, being in an RV is a piece of cake.

Huntindog

Phoenix AZ

View Profile

Posted: 11/03/19 12:37pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

profdant139 wrote:

Actually, Huntingdog, our real reason for not using the furnace much is not about saving propane. It is more about electricity -- the furnace draws four amps! And it is noisy.

But you are absolutely right -- the water lines usually won't freeze in the high 20s, especially if they are all inside the trailer and if you keep your trailer warm.

The real problem is the outflow tube from the water tank, which is thin and is often not inside the trailer. It will usually freeze in the low 20s, unless you have installed a heat cable.
I said "quite a few". I guess you are not one of them.

Many people here it seems use campgrounds with electric.... They tend to want to use electric space heaters as it is "free" vs. using propane to run the heater. Of course using space heaters does very little in many TTs to keep the water lines from freezing. Gotta run the furnace for that.

BTW, My current TT from the factory was good until 7 degrees, with the furnace set at 70.
I have since modified it to go much lower than that.

I do not worry about battery power when the temps are really low, as I just run the generator nonstop. It keeps the batteries up, and the plumbing heat tape running.

Boondocking in remote locations in low temps is really like being in survival mode. It is work.

The benefit for us is that it sends most people home, leaving the woods to us. That makes for great hunting.

The nastier the weather, the more I like it.

Huntindog
100% boondocking
2021 Grand Design Momentum 398M
2 bathrooms, no waiting
104 gal grey, 104 black,158 fresh
FBP, 3, 8K axles, Disc Brakes
17.5 LRH commercial tires
300 watts solar,
2020 Silverado High Country CC DA 4X4 Big Dually.

pianotuna

Regina, SK, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 11/03/19 01:36pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Downtheavenue,

Since I have successfully camped at -34 f, you may want to listen to what I say.

You can not safely STORE an rv at 23 f with water in the tanks and lines. But you may often find it safe to USE it (furnace running etc.) at 23 f. Below that temperature extra measures may often be required, such as heat tape.

Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp hours of AGM in two battery banks 12 volt batteries, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> How cold can you go?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.