Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Keep using Eternabond until entire roof is covered?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Keep using Eternabond until entire roof is covered?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
solismaris

Massachusetts

View Profile

Posted: 10/16/19 12:38pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I like Eternabond and have been gradually replacing caulked seams with it. Now, after 15 years the rubber roof itself is starting to go; the white is wearing off in places and the black shows through.

They make Eternabond in 12" widths and even wider. How about I cover those spots with wide Eternabond strips? And as the roof continues to age, cover those new spots, etc., until eventually the entire roof may be covered with overlapping Eternabond?

Advantage: I can do it gradually, and it is within my skill level. Replacing the entire roof is a huge job, lots of upfront cost, and I would probably screw it up.

David Kojen

ford truck guy

Pennsylvania

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/16/19 12:52pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

MY take on this is -

Why place a band aid on something that needs fixing ? The money you will end up spending in the long run will be FAR GREATER than doing it right the first time I think..

I know that I have purchased 6" x 25' rolls and have paid $50-$75 per roll..

Sure it would work, I guess..??

Me-Her-the kids
2015 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020Redwood 3991RD Garnet

gbopp

The Keystone State

View Profile

Posted: 10/16/19 12:59pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Clean the roof and coat it with something like Heng's Rubber Roof Coating.

I restored the roof on our 1996 Southwind. After applying Eternabond to the seams and roof edges, it took 2 1/2 gallons of Heng's to coat 30' of roof with two light coats. It's easy to apply and does not need a primer.

mleekamp

Washington, IL

View Profile

Posted: 10/16/19 01:28pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

solis, I see your point. The last 2 TT's we bought, and now our new C, first thing I did was buy a roll or 2, and cover ALL cut openings in the roof. Around skylights, vents, antenna, etc. Even though there is caulk covering the screws and such, I feel better after a bad leak some years ago. We always seemed to have issue with the cap meeting the roof (last 2 TT's) as far as leaks go. Yeah, it's probably expensive to do but I guess it would work.

I agree with the others that thought should be given to doing the job right (roof replacement) but it sure seems there has to be better way to do a roof.

2019 Jayco Redhawk 29XK Class C, Ford V10 E450 chassis
2000 Jeep Wrangler for a Dinghy w/ Invisibrake & Curt Tow Bar

agesilaus

North Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/16/19 02:33pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

gbopp wrote:

I restored the roof on our 1996 Southwind. After applying Eternabond to the seams and roof edges, it took 2 1/2 gallons of Heng's to coat 30' of roof with two light coats. It's easy to apply and does not need a primer.

Ditto on the Hengs. Probably not a permanent fix but good for several years anyway. I used it on our old fiver, it went on easily after I cleaned the roof. I think I used 2 gallons on a 35 ft fiver and that was for two coats. You get a nice smooth white finish no brush or roller marks.

Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2012 Ford F-350 4WD Lariat 6.7L
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

pianotuna

Regina, SK, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 10/16/19 02:37pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

EternaBond can be ordered in a roll that is four feet wide.

Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp hours of AGM in two battery banks 12 volt batteries, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

TurnThePage

North ID

View Profile

Posted: 10/16/19 02:37pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

agesilaus wrote:

gbopp wrote:

Ditto on the Hengs. Probably not a permanent fix but good for several years anyway. I used it on our old fiver, it went on easily after I cleaned the roof. I think I used 2 gallons on a 35 ft fiver and that was for two coats. You get a nice smooth white finish no brush or roller marks.
X3

2015 Ram 1500
2004 Pioneer 18T6

Gjac

Milford, CT

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/16/19 02:44pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you look at a cross section of an EPDM roof it has a very thin top layer of white, the substrate is black. The white top coat will slough off do to sun and rain showing the black substrate. 15 years is not old for an EPDM roof, I would not replace it unless there was severe damage. Coating it will return the white color and make it cooler inside and protect it for another 10 years before it wears off. My roof is 23 years old, I coated it with just one coat of acrylic coating in 2007 and it is wearing off. When it all wears off I may coat it again. The roof has never leaked.

Lwiddis

Monterey, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/16/19 04:35pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Like gbopp, I suggest using Heng’s.

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, 300 watts solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL pole for flags. Prefer USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, USF&WS, state & county camps. Bicyclist! 14 year Army vet - 11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560)

beemerphile1

Ohio

View Profile

Posted: 10/16/19 06:58pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

solismaris wrote:

...after 15 years the rubber roof itself is starting to go; the white is wearing off in places and the black shows through....

Purely cosmetic, you don't have to do anything with it.

Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Keep using Eternabond until entire roof is covered?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.