cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

About painting a 5th wheel

riggsp
Explorer
Explorer
Just a simple question for anyone who has done it...have you painted your RV yourself...if so, what kind of paint did you use, and how did you apply it...were you pleased with the outcome...what would you do differently?

Just curious.
15 REPLIES 15

SailingOn
Explorer
Explorer
Haven't painted a whole rig, but did repaint a fender - about 2 by 8 feet - after a blown tire tore it up. Used a gravity feed gun and Rustoleum smoke gray paint.
The choice was to try repainting it, or $250 or so for a replacement.
The refinished fender looks great.
Doing the cleaning and prep on the whole rig, and finding a dust free area for spraying and drying, sounds burdensome.
Buck: 2004 Wilderness Yukon 8275S, now memories.
Star: Open range LF297RLS. 2 air conditioners!
Togo: 2014 Winnebago View Profile, 2013 Sprinter chassis; 16 mpg
Snow: 2020 F250 diesel
AD5GR

pcm1959
Explorer
Explorer
I ordered our 2014 fiver and did not opt for the beautiful full body paint. While beautiful, I could not justify the expense on something that takes such a hit in depreciation. Also, the 3 color choices offered were in the darker family and being that most of our trips are in the SE USA, I did not want the added heat gain.
A few months after ordering the manufacturer offered a partial body paint that I may have considered.
I have to say a pretty paint job sure does make a rig look a lot more high end. I have seen our white rig against the same rig with full body paint and it looks like two completely different rigs.
I have thought about getting some wrap to add to it just to give it a little pizazz but I have absolutely no idea if I could do it right.
2018 GMC Sierra 3500 DRW 4x4 Duramax/Allison
2014 Lifestyle LS36FW
St Augustine, FL

video45
Explorer
Explorer
So try some peel off paint. The kids are using some type of paint for a temporary look but it does last, if you scuff it just repaint.
Hit youtube for the ideas. No one says you have to paint ALL of the rv, Paint some of the bottom and if it doesn't look right peel it off. For Application of paint it says give it a good wash job and go for it.
I am sure there is more to it, but you are the one to see if money spent would be worth it. My ram truck is all white and I was thinking
to give it a stripe or slash and it seems a great way to try something new. The 5th wheel is a 93 and the older off white paint and I was thinking give a few swirls either with sticker graphics or peelable paint. Find out what's out there. You could do it yourself. Might be fun.
Marty

ChuckV1
Explorer
Explorer
We looked at painting our 40ft 5th wheel from local shop, they stated right around $7500 total with sanding, sealing an painting ...

Our MFG of our 5th wheel wanted 10K for full budy paint Ugh !!!

pyoung47
Explorer
Explorer
Friend had his MH painted. About 5K. Much cheaper than trading, though.

Super_Dave
Explorer
Explorer
texasjayco wrote:
Might look at a wrap instead.

Cost of wrapping

Mark

I've seen some gorgeous wraps and they are much more economical. Everyone that I know that has gone that route has used a lot of black and regretted it. The heat gain was tremendous.
Truck: 2006 Dodge 3500 Dually
Rig: 2018 Big Country 3155 RLK
Boat: 21' North River Seahawk

Bird_Freak
Explorer II
Explorer II
Automotive base clear urethane would be best if you want it to last. You should also seal it before painting.
Eddie
03 Fleetwood Pride, 36-5L
04 Ford F-250 Superduty
15K Pullrite Superglide
Old coach 04 Pace Arrow 37C with brakes sometimes.
Owner- The Toy Shop-
Auto Restoration and Customs 32 years. Retired by a stroke!
We love 56 T-Birds

texasjayco
Explorer
Explorer
Might look at a wrap instead.

Cost of wrapping

Mark
2022 Jayco Pinnacle 32RLTS
2022 Ford F-450 Limited Diesel Dually

Allworth
Explorer
Explorer
Lets see:::::

Typical auto: 300 square feet. Custom paint $1200 to $1800.

Typical 30' fiver: 800 to 1000 square feet (not including the roof which you would probably want recoated to go with the new paint).

$4000 to $6000 ????

(plus roof)
Formerly posting as "littleblackdog"
Martha, Allen, & Blackjack
2006 Chevy 3500 D/A LB SRW, RVND 7710
Previously: 2008 Titanium 30E35SA. Currently no trailer due to age & mobility problems. Very sad!
"Real Jeeps have round headlights"

B_O__Plenty
Explorer II
Explorer II
It will be more expensive than you ever imagined to get a quality paint job using automotive paint. If you really want it to be candy blue just the materials to do it properly will be in the thousands.
B.O.
Former Ram/Cummins owner
2015 Silverado 3500 D/A DRW
Yup I'm a fanboy!
2016 Cedar Creek 36CKTS

riggsp
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all the replies...was thinking candy blue instead of red, and then the orange flames would show better.

Super_Dave
Explorer
Explorer
It is automotive paint. I had my boat painted at a shop that also painted large trucks and RV's. I watched them doing a motorhome on one of my visits. Automotive paint and a few coats of clear coat.
Truck: 2006 Dodge 3500 Dually
Rig: 2018 Big Country 3155 RLK
Boat: 21' North River Seahawk

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
agesilaus wrote:
I have not but it seems likely it uses automobile type paint, acrylic I believe. There may be a store that sells it near you. Here is your chance for a candy apple red fiver..ugly but unique.

Don't forget the flames and fuzzy dice.

Johno02
Explorer
Explorer
Have not painted one myself, but ours, and many others are painted as they are being built. I would think that any good professional auto painter would be able to do the job, especially if they have a facility to do the job inside their shop.
Noel and Betty Johnson (and Harry)

2005 GulfStream Ultra Supreme, 1 Old grouch, 1 wonderful wife, and two silly poodles.