cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Heading to Florida

ThorMan
Explorer
Explorer
This is our first year snowbirding. We will be leaving MI next week, Florida is our first destination. Having not made any reservations yet, will I have trouble finding an RV park in the Panama City area? Would like to stay for a month, then head west to the Mississippi gulf coast area, then who knows where from there.

Is it necessary to make reservations in advance for wherever we head to? If so, how far in advance would be needed?
28 REPLIES 28

DFord
Explorer
Explorer
This may be a little off topic but here goes...
Almost every campground I try to find anything about in Florida has affiliated itself with Sun Resorts and no longer handle their own reservations. That's been a problem for me. Has anyone else had this experience and if so, how do find anything out about a park you nothing about before making reservations?
Don Ford
2004 Safari Trek 31SBD (F53/V10 20,500GVW)
'09 HHR 2LT or '97 Aerostar MiniVan (Remco driveshaft disconnect) for Towed vehicles
BlueOx Aventa II Towbar - ReadyBrake Inertia Brake System

ThorMan
Explorer
Explorer
johnhicks wrote:
Sounds good. You might be able to get in at Cypress CG at Winter Haven https://www.cypresscampground.com/ for a month or more. Decent area, next door to Walmart, all other services nearby and warm in winter.

Thanks! Looks like a good place.

johnhicks
Explorer
Explorer
Sounds good. You might be able to get in at Cypress CG at Winter Haven https://www.cypresscampground.com/ for a month or more. Decent area, next door to Walmart, all other services nearby and warm in winter.
-jbh-

ThorMan
Explorer
Explorer
johnhicks wrote:
Why would you go to Clermont if your intent is to head west? Or have you changed your mind on that?

Yes, we did change our plans.

Left home (suburb of Detroit area) Thursday morning, spent that night in a Cracker Barrel parking lot near Nashville. Next day drove through very heavy rain and spent the night in a rest area near Greenville AL. Drove on to Robertsdale AL, spending six days in a campground here, then it's on to Clermont FL for two weeks, possibly longer. Having a good time.

johnhicks
Explorer
Explorer
Why would you go to Clermont if your intent is to head west? Or have you changed your mind on that?
-jbh-

ThorMan
Explorer
Explorer
The Mrs. made reservations for us at an RV park called "Bee's RV Resort" in Clermont Florida. She feels better having a reservation. Will keep the board informed how our travels go, nothing is written in stone.

tjfogelberg
Explorer
Explorer
We are leaving Orlando on the 31st and headed to Gulf Shores State Park for a week and then the Escapee park in nearby Summerdale for another week before moving West. Fell in love with this Gulf Shores area last year when we visited in November. Jan-Mar are the busiest months for the snowbird parks. I make some reservations but also fill in with spontaneous stops along the way. You've always got your RV, so not finding an official campsite for a night or two isn't the end of the world, might even save a few $ in the process.

angler
Explorer
Explorer
I was in Panama City Beach last year and stayed at the Panama City Beach Resort. They had very little damage at the resort. Panama City isn't too bad. Surrounding areas are devastated But as you drive there you will still see the damage. It will be years before that area recovers. Destin and points west did not have damage.

St Andrews park in Panama City Beach about 200 sites had 30 open last march.

Good luck on your travels! Nice thing about an rv if you don't like where you're at you just move.
2020 Jayco 34RSBS
2002 Tiffin Allego Bay
2010 Keystone Springdale 29bhssr
1998 Jayco Lite 244

crawford
Explorer
Explorer
ThorMan keep us posted let us know how it goes getting spots down in Fla.
Change from a c class to a A class Georgetown 07 triple slide

tomman58
Explorer
Explorer
johnhicks wrote:
PC may be difficult due to displaced people and construction workers. Since you plan to head west go on to Pensacola, Gulf Shores/Foley and west of Mobile.

Gulf shores is okay but lacks the ambiance of those in Fl IMHO.
We stay there for a couple on nights each year on our trek to Fl.
If you go to below the panhandle you'll find warmer temps and more to do. I think the rates are better also.
2015 GMC D/A, CC 4x4/ Z71 ,3.73,IBC SLT+
2018 Jayco 338RETS
2 Trek bikes
Honda EU2000i
It must be time to go, the suns out and I've got a full tank of diesel!
We have a granite fireplace hearth! Love to be a little different.

johnhicks
Explorer
Explorer
PC may be difficult due to displaced people and construction workers. Since you plan to head west go on to Pensacola, Gulf Shores/Foley and west of Mobile.
-jbh-

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
Guess most don't know where Panama City is or didn't read the OP's post. Hurricane damage and displaced residents living in trailers is going to make finding a site more difficult than normal in that area. You stand a better chance further East below Tallahassee where there was less damage. I would call HoHum CG 850-697-3926.
Hohumrvpark.com
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45’...

tomman58
Explorer
Explorer
Back when we started going to Fl the problem of a quality site required much advance notice. That said we have always had a TT and as time went on we now have a very long trail and our set up is longer than a class A. That said many and I mean many of the RV site in Fl are old and short with no 50 amp service.
I can recommend the park we stay at that is near the villages and 45 minutes fro Orlando. They have a bunch of new sites this year and you may find a spot at this late date, Olde Mill Stream great place, super clean, great people and free ice, free beer at their dances (free) and entrainment ($10.). Class A's welcome and the rates are far less then south of the big lake.
2015 GMC D/A, CC 4x4/ Z71 ,3.73,IBC SLT+
2018 Jayco 338RETS
2 Trek bikes
Honda EU2000i
It must be time to go, the suns out and I've got a full tank of diesel!
We have a granite fireplace hearth! Love to be a little different.

Branson_N_Tucso
Explorer II
Explorer II
Never went to Florida for winter, but heard you need to go further south for warmer weather. We been coming to Yuma Az. for the winter the past 12 years. We now come from Nashville TN. You will not have any trouble finding a place here in Yuma. The weather is warm and Sunny. In the Foot Hills area there are many private lots at good monthly prices for full hook ups. Also plenty of spots in the Resort RV Parks at a higher price.
Only because that little word Resort.
Try Yuma.