Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

slide out question when fifth wheel is parked for the summer

nykolas
Explorer
Explorer
another newbie question:)

I just noticed in my manual ( for 2008 Everest) that it says that slide outs should be "actuated" once or twice a week during extended periods.

I left the slide outs open all summer without knowing and I have close them now and they seem to work fine.

Does anyone know the explanation as to why that is important?

thanks

Here is the exact text from the manual

Rooms that will be extended for long periods of time should be actuated 1-2 times a week.
14 REPLIES 14

sgfrye
Explorer
Explorer
gbopp wrote:
I think it's just common sense to occasionally activate any type of mechanism. If for no other reason than to let you know it's working and not seized.
Sometime you may have to leave quickly, it's nice to know you can retract the slide without any problems.

But that's just me. I know some people think that if your car, generator, snow blower, or anything mechanical is working when you put it in the garage it will work normally after sitting for a year or two.

The few minutes it takes to activate the slide may save you from grief in the future.

best common sense post of the week

nykolas
Explorer
Explorer
what is the best way to "condition the seals"

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
doxiemom11 wrote:
We don't put our slides in and out unless we are moving. Have sat for 4-6 mo multiple times over the past 9 years of full-timing and have never had a problem. We have full awnings over the slides, keep the rv clean and condition the seals.

"keep the rv clean and condition the seals".

Bingo, There is a difference between doing NOTHING and doing something. But, a blind hog will find the acorn. Just because YOU have had a run of good luck, is not the best advice to give to the majority. I WORK on RV's and have for 40 years. MY advice is based on having to deal with those people that do NOT exercise their RV's regularly, especially the slide rooms. Doug

doxiemom11
Explorer II
Explorer II
We don't put our slides in and out unless we are moving. Have sat for 4-6 mo multiple times over the past 9 years of full-timing and have never had a problem. We have full awnings over the slides, keep the rv clean and condition the seals.

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
azdryheat wrote:
There's folks living in their RV's and the slides never come in.

Ignorance is a hard lesson sometimes. Doug

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
gbopp wrote:
azdryheat wrote:

I guess we all view common sense in a different way.

Wonder what will happen if thev evwr do retract the slides?

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
azdryheat wrote:

I guess we all view common sense in a different way.

azdryheat
Explorer
Explorer
2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2019 RZR 1000XP TRE

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
gbopp wrote:

But that's just me. I know some people think that if your car, generator, snow blower, or anything mechanical is working when you put it in the garage it will work normally after sitting for a year or two.

Dealing with trucks, I was always surprised by the number of owners that thought of trucks same as mules. A big job about to start, it is a emergency to fix the trucks. A sick mule, you can put it in a pasture, and it might get well, or it might die. But a truck in the pasture, it might die, but will never get well.

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
To keep the slide seals from adhering to the slide. Rubber seals/gaskets can "bond" and then tear loose. Also, to make the mechanism work a few times. If NOT using the RV leave the rooms retracted. IF the slides fail to retract, HOW do you get the RV in for service? Better to have the slides fail retracted. Doug

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
I think it's just common sense to occasionally activate any type of mechanism. If for no other reason than to let you know it's working and not seized.
Sometime you may have to leave quickly, it's nice to know you can retract the slide without any problems.

The few minutes it takes to activate the slide may save you from grief in the future.

Rover_Bill
Explorer II
Explorer II
Helps keeps the debris (tree sap, bird poop, etc) from building up and sticking to the slideout roof. If you don't have a slideout topper and leave the slideout extended for a long period be sure to clean the roof before pulling it in.
2015 GMC Canyon 3.6L V6 4X4 TowHaul SLE ExtCab Bronze
2016 Keystone Passport GT 2670BH
ReCurve R6 hitch, DirecLink brake controller
2005 Suzuki C50 2006 Suzuki S40

DFord
Explorer
Explorer
Works just like your mother told you about crossing your eyes - if you do that too long, they might stay that way! Exercising the slide out can't hurt and probably keeps them from sticking.
Don Ford
2004 Safari Trek 31SBD (F53/V10 20,500GVW)
'09 HHR 2LT or '97 Aerostar MiniVan (Remco driveshaft disconnect) for Towed vehicles
BlueOx Aventa II Towbar - ReadyBrake Inertia Brake System

rk911
Explorer
Explorer
first i've heard of that. could be cover-our-behind language.
Rich
Ham Radio, Sport Pilot, Retired 9-1-1 Call Center Administrator
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

& MaggieThe Wonder Beagle