cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Texas to Ridgway CO late November

patperry2766
Explorer
Explorer
Possibly I might be crazy, but thinking of Ridgway CO during Thanksgiving week.
287 to Amarillo
87 to Raton NM,
I-25 then 50 across to Montrose.

Weather wise, is it a big gamble this time of year? Need a campground that has electricity cause we'd be going in a pop-up and need to be able to run a couple of space heaters. We've been to the state park there before...in the summer. Will use their bathroom and shower facilities.

Any thoughts....
Courage is the feeling you have right before you fully understand the situation
9 REPLIES 9

patperry2766
Explorer
Explorer
4runnerguy wrote:
patperry2766 wrote:

Weather wise, is it a big gamble this time of year? Need a campground that has electricity cause we'd be going in a pop-up and need to be able to run a couple of space heaters.
We've camped at Dead Horse Point in Moab during Thanksgiving and even with two space heaters going in our PUP, it got a little uncomfortable when the temps got into the mid 20's at night. The average low in Ridgway is around 15 degrees that time of year. If you decide to go, I'd take electric blankets. And if you're follicly challenged like me (thinning hair), wear a stocking cap to bed.

For your route, if the weather and/or roads look iffy on Monarch Pass, head west on I-40 to Albuquerque, north on US 550 to Durango, west on US 160 to Cortez, north on US 491 to CO 141 to CO 145 then east back to Ridgway. This route will avoid some of the higher passes, although you should still keep an eye out for snow storms. They do get the roads cleared reasonably quickly but you might have to wait a day if a big storm rolls through.

YES, I'm follicly challenged.

The pop-up does have a heater, but I don't want to have to burn thru something like 7K lbs of propane to keep the family warm. That's why I was thinking space heaters as well. I actually think the mattresses have a built in heating pad in them.

I know everything is kinda a gamble and weather dependent during the winter. Drove up to Jackson Hole this past January for a job interview. Had to keep a close eye on the conditions and we had to hole up in the motel for an extra day because the winds were so bad on I-80 in WY that they were blowing semi's over and shutting down the highway. Got the job offer, but couldn't afford the town.

patperry2766
Explorer
Explorer
I was about ready to pull the trigger on Ridgway SP, but it says showers aren't available during the winter. Nixed that idea pretty quickly. I don't even think I could stand myself after a few days of so showering...much less the rest of the family.
So, there is a KOA in Ouray, but are there any hidden gems that anyone would care to divulge...you can PM me if you don't want EVERYBODY knowing about them.

Maybe close enough for a day skiing trip
Sightseeing, exploring old abandoned mines and ghost towns..getting off the pavement without doing anything too stupid (wife won't let me)

Appreciate everyone's help so far.

4runnerguy
Explorer
Explorer
patperry2766 wrote:

Weather wise, is it a big gamble this time of year? Need a campground that has electricity cause we'd be going in a pop-up and need to be able to run a couple of space heaters.
We've camped at Dead Horse Point in Moab during Thanksgiving and even with two space heaters going in our PUP, it got a little uncomfortable when the temps got into the mid 20's at night. The average low in Ridgway is around 15 degrees that time of year. If you decide to go, I'd take electric blankets. And if you're follicly challenged like me (thinning hair), wear a stocking cap to bed.

For your route, if the weather and/or roads look iffy on Monarch Pass, head west on I-40 to Albuquerque, north on US 550 to Durango, west on US 160 to Cortez, north on US 491 to CO 141 to CO 145 then east back to Ridgway. This route will avoid some of the higher passes, although you should still keep an eye out for snow storms. They do get the roads cleared reasonably quickly but you might have to wait a day if a big storm rolls through.
Ken & Allison
2 Camping Cats (1 diabetic)
1996 4Runner, TRD Supercharger, Edelbrock headers
2007 Fleetwood Arcadia, Honda EU2000i
4 mountain bikes, 1 canoe, 4 tents, 8 sleeping bags, 2 backpacks
(You get the idea!)

Busskipper
Explorer
Explorer
patperry2766 wrote:
287 to Amarillo
87 to Raton NM,

Looks like a Good Route - one of the nice things is you could easily slide up to Buena Vista/Salida/Leadville if the weather in Ridgway was not good. Lot's to see and do in the area.

Weather wise, is it a big gamble this time of year? Need a campground that has electricity cause we'd be going in a pop-up and need to be able to run a couple of space heaters. We've been to the state park there before...in the summer. Will use their bathroom and shower facilities.

Still will be smart to bring the Good Sleeping Bags - you know the Down Insulated ones - The higher the elevation the more chance for more cold and some snow ๐Ÿ™‚ so if it has snowed it likely melted at the lower elevations but has likely survived in the higher shaded areas/roads in the back country.

Any thoughts....

Thom is an expert in these areas along with 4runnerguy so sending them a PM also might be a good idea. My situation is much different - Class "A" with a 4x4 toad makes my life pretty easy even in the cold Colorado Winter, in the snow:)

Answered the PM and ran out of keystrokes so tried to fill in here.

You are Young, smart and looking for an Adventure - think you will love it, with a little luck you might even get really Good Weather - even if you get snow - IMHO those Rocks look pretty Good wearing White.

Some 20 + years ago on my first drive through the Rockies after Thanksgiving we drove RT 160 to Durango then on to Mesa Verde in December - with NO Snow - shoot that was before this Forum and I didn't even know I was supposed to be nervous about the Passes - :S

The things I remembers was how much I loved the Low Sun and the Blue - Really Blue Sky - Having a Golden Eagle fly right over us as we drove up the Wolf Creek Pass on RT 160 - Being the only one out there and having everything to ourselves - rare now even in the Winter. We Love being in the Rockies during all the Seasons but in the Winter they are just special with the White stuff everywhere.

Hope this is of some help,
Busskipper
Maryland/Colorado
Travel Supreme 42DS04
GX470-FMCA - Travel less now - But still love to be on the Road
States traveled in this Coach

GizmosMom
Explorer
Explorer
The only other suggestions I have are to take Highway 69 from north of Walsenburg to Texas Creek and Highway 50.

Or take highway 160 west and then take either highway 17 or 285 to get to Highway 114 and then onward on Highway 50 to Montrose (This from someone who does not care for Monarch Pass?)

Happy Travels!
Marilyn w/ Joe, 2016 Class C Sunseeker 2430 SF, often pulling a Ranger bass boat. Traveling with Trigger
Smudge & Gizmo are waiting at the Rainbow Bridge

swangde
Explorer
Explorer
Just went over Raton this week. Normally the pass is well maintained but it is under massive construction now, they are diverting traffic off of I25 at the summit. OK when it is dry but would be no fun in the snow with a trailer. Monarch is a day to day issue in the winter and Nov is included. I always check COTRIP.ORG look at cams and road conditions.

azdryheat
Explorer
Explorer
Been about 6 years ago we left San Antonio for Tucson the week prior to Thanksgiving and encountered an ice storm moving along I-10 west to east. Our 5th wheel front end was covered in a sheet of ice. Power was down along the route leaving motorists stranded for lack of fuel. That storm came up quick. You won't know the weather until it's time to do the trip.
2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2019 RZR 1000XP TRE

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
Checking weather forecast a few days beforehand may help you decide.
More southern route, I-40 across NM, north to Cortez, and then north to Ridgeway may be an alternate if there are winter storms predicted for your proposed route.

Thom02099
Explorer II
Explorer II
patperry2766 wrote:
287 to Amarillo
87 to Raton NM,

Any thoughts....

That route is probably the best to consider, given the time of year. Even with snow. Two passes -- Raton and Monarch -- to contend with, but both are well maintained during winter/snow months. Yes, it can be something of a gamble, but the good news is that November is not one of the snowiest months in Colorado. But the weather/temps can change rapidly.

As to where to stay, the State Park could be a good bet, since it is open all year. HOWEVER, keep in mind that Ridgway SP is now a RESERVATION ONLY park, and that appears to be applicable during the off season months beyond October. There are 20 RV sites available. H E R E - Ridgway SP is the link to the CPW website for Ridgway. Also, appears that some of the facilities may be limited.

Might want to check out campgroundreviews.com for other alternatives. There's some campground/RV parks that are open all year. Looks like the KOA in Ouray is open year round, and that's a highly rated park.
2007 GMC Sierra SLE 3500HD Dually
2016 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 243RBS
2007 Keystone Outback 25RSS - R.I.P.