Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Truck Campers: Recommendations for quiet portable generator
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Recommendations for quiet portable generator

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 10  
Prev  |  Next
mellow

Salisbury, MD

View Profile

Posted: 11/15/19 10:32am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Not sure if this has been posted yet, but check out https://ecoflow.com/

2002 F-350 7.3 Lariat 4x4 DRW ZF6
2008 Lance 1191 - 220w of solar - Bring on the sun!

jaycocreek

Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 11/15/19 10:56am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mellow wrote:

I watched a couple video's on a comparable one(goalzero 1000),1000AH I think,they were running there new Dometic portable refer/freezers off them..Lasted a long time..

Impressive but expensive..

'94 Ford DRW/460-Lance 9.6
Army Basic Fort Benning Georgia
AIT-Fort Rucker Alabama-67A10

GeoBoy

Bennington

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/15/19 04:13pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mellow wrote:

I don’t care what they want to call it, it’s not a generator, but it must be quiet.[emoticon]

Kayteg1

California > Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 11/15/19 05:46pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It must be generator since it is generating cash flow from uneducated buyers?

dieseltruckdriver

Black Hills of SD

View Profile

Posted: 11/15/19 05:50pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Kayteg1 wrote:

It must be generator since it is generating cash flow from uneducated buyers?

That is the only way I can see those being called a generator.

2000 F-250 7.3 Powerstroke
2018 Arctic Fox 27-5L

jaycocreek

Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 11/16/19 06:58am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It is a 12 volt Lithium battery with a charge controller and all the bells and whistles...Recharged by solar or electricity..12 volt Lithium batteries are spendy,period...

It does generate electricity...(Laughing)

pianotuna

Regina, SK, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 11/16/19 08:39am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi,

I wish I had never gone the generator route. I should have, in hind sight, beefed up the solar panels and replaced the controller with a higher capacity unit.

The one that is linked is pretty much an expensive almost useless toy as the capacity is at the joke level.

Panels are being sold retail cost of $0.87 cents per watt in Saskatoon. I think I could bump up to 1300 watts and still have some room left on the roof.

Until low temperature LI comes on the market, storage remains an issue.

Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp hours of AGM in two battery banks 12 volt batteries, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

Mobilesport

Iowa

View Profile

Posted: 01/19/20 12:27am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jaycocreek wrote:

It is a 12 volt Lithium battery with a charge controller and all the bells and whistles...Recharged by solar or electricity..12 volt Lithium batteries are spendy,period...

It does generate electricity...(Laughing)

Imo , if your boondocking with no hookups the Honda 2000i or a cheaper version like the Wen 2000watt Invertor generator , a Bulk/absorption battery charger and a single
100ah lifepo4 is the way to go , no need for solar because the battery can be charged really fast , the lifepo4 battery is cheaper then lead acids in the long run and better by far in every way , there easier to use , they charge super fast, you don't have to put them on a float charger .

You can bulk/absorption charge them all the way to 100% soc, but you don't even have to take them to 100% soc if you don't want to , it wont hurt them .
i charge mine with a cheap Meanwell power supply that a guy online showed me how to build into a battery charger for dirt cheap ,

the lifepo4 really made my life easier because the built in battery management (BMS) system does everything for me.
It protects the battery from getting damaged.
Lifepo 4 battery supposed to give me 3000 cycles , my lead acid golf batteries would probably give me about 700 cycles , so with all the batteries that i would have to buy , lifepo4 is cheaper if using them for boondocking
If you have access to shore power then the lead acids are cheaper because they'll last longer with proper charging.

Plus the lead acids had to be outside to be vented and the cold weather cut there performance close to in half.

I use about 50ah per day
I can charge and put 50ah back into a 100ah lifepo4 in say like a hour and 15 minutes charging at absorption all the way to 100% , once i got to 80% my lead acids would take a long time to get the last 20% .
I would never go back to lead acids

Big high roof van , 2000 watt Custom on board Honda genset , custom Meanwell 40 amp battery charger , 100 ah Battleborn lifepo4 , kisae battery capacity monitor , Planner 44d diesal heater, 6 gal red Bass pro diesal fuel tank. At&t hot spot router

northshore

northshore

View Profile

Posted: 01/20/20 07:45am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Generators; what a topic.
Quiet is a relative term, and it seems like other things the first question back to the OP is how much money you got?
The quietest generators will cost more than most noisy generators.
I will say there are many generators out there that are "Honda like" and cost much much less.
For me, and my suggestion is do as much research as you can about what the reliability, warranty etc. and pick something that works for you. You want quiet then you will have to spend the money. You want something cheaper but as quiet as you can get, then the next tier would include the predator from HF champion and a ton of others, all pretty much are all in the same class.
You will get as many opinions as there are people and if you read the entire thread you will see the conversations will vary.
Good luck

Kayteg1

California > Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 01/20/20 08:17am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I will again point that more technology brings more choices, when generally prices drop.
Maybe not on Hondas, since I bought my EU3000 new for about $900 12 (?) years ago, but I really like the 1000 W Sportsman inverter generator who I bought new for $150 thanks to this forum tip.
Just restarted it last week since we went for few days trip and when my EU3000 would be overkill, the small generator made a nice emergency backup. Fit nicely behind truck seat and no gasoline fumes, regardless lot of sun on our trip.
I removed 1 of propane cylinders for the trip and that made space for 2.5 gallons gas can.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 10  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Recommendations for quiet portable generator
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.