cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Different kind of Jack-knife

happycamper1942
Explorer
Explorer

I did this a few days ago. I was making a sharp left turn out of a narrow driveway onto the highway and the wheels of my fiver went down the ditch resulting in the bed area twisting and digging into the side of the truck bed. Very little damage to the 5th wheel.
2008 Ford F350 crew cab short box PSD, 2021 TravelAir 90W camper
16 REPLIES 16

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
OOPS! I have been close enough not to be able to get a spark plug feeler guage between trailer & bed rail but never damaged anything. Good reason to keep the 2006 low truck.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
Todays brakes are larger diameter requiring larger diameter wheels. I think 17" is the smallest diameter wheel that will work on 1/2 ton...3/4 ton....one ton trucks.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

Curly2001
Explorer
Explorer
I don't understand why the truck manufacturers are going with such large wheels and tires. I have 16" on my good 'ole truck and when I started looking for new trucks, the wheels range from 17" to 20" for 2500HD trucks. That 3" can really through you off with your bed rail to trailer spacing. Hard to find new trucks with smaller wheels.
2019 Chev. Double cab 2500HD, 6.0, 4:10 diffs, six speed auto
2013 Heartland Sundance XLT 265RK

packnrat
Explorer
Explorer
never fear it can happen to any of us.
heck i have seen the aftermath of when a commercial seat warmer has done this to a big rig and trailer.
if i had the cash i would modify my pu bed to never let this happen. ju$t need lot$ of ca$h.
2006 F250 4X4 auto 6.0 short bed
2001 sunnybrook 24 ft
1984 cj7 built up a bit
kg6tgu
never too many toys, just not enought room to keep them
one dog who belives she is the master. rip 12 12 2007
12 loving years and loyal to the end.
just out having fun

TxGearhead
Explorer
Explorer
I do things like that when I'm stressed and/or get in a hurry.
2018 Ram 3500 CC LB DRW 4X4 Cummins Aisin Laramie Pearl White
2018 Landmark Oshkosh
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4
2014 NauticStar 21 ShallowBay 150HP Yamaha
2016 GoDevil 18X44 35HP Surface Drive

4x4ord
Explorer III
Explorer III
My daughter's boyfriend did something similar to that to my truck. I kicked his a$$ and told him he was an idiot..... and he still wants to marry my daughter.:B
2023 F350 SRW Platinum short box 4x4.
B&W Companion
2008 Citation Platinum XL 34.5

kccamping
Explorer
Explorer
I understand it all too well, did same damage to our truck a year ago, just done in a different way. I now understand what people mean when they say that owning an rv can be really expensive!

lee_worsdell
Explorer
Explorer
Did the same thing but not as bad. Leaving a sloped driveway didn't notice until I got to my destination 12hrs later. I thought I had heard a weird noise but didn't think nothing of it.

valhalla360
Nomad
Nomad
wanderingaimlessly wrote:
With it appearing that all the truck makers are building them taller from the factories with 18-20 inch wheels and taller off road suspensions, this will continue.

One side of the 5er dropped into a ditch...a couple inches more clearance likely wouldn't have solved the issue.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

SDcampowneroper
Explorer
Explorer
Your hich should not have allowed more that a 7 deg. side to side tilt. If you have the minimum recommended 6" bed to overhead clearance, the hich would limit the roll between tow and towed, making the truck tilt with the trailer when that limit is reached.
Should you also encounter a high point vs a low point dip, the risk of bed to trlr. increases.
Raise the trucks 5er hitch, or lower the pin box to give better clearance.

blofgren
Explorer
Explorer
alexleblanc wrote:
That plain sucks, Iโ€™ve seen that damage many times before though, so clearly you arenโ€™t the only one thatโ€™s had this happen to over the years.

X2. Iโ€™ve seen this type of damage as well and wondered how it happened.

It doesnโ€™t take much of a glitch with a truck and fifth wheel to make for a very bad day.....
2013 Ram 3500 Megacab DRW Laramie 4x4, 6.7L Cummins, G56, 3.73, Maximum Steel, black lthr, B&W RVK3670 hitch, Retrax, Linex, and a bunch of options incl. cargo camera
2008 Corsair Excella Platinum 34.5 CKTS fifth wheel with winter package & disc brakes

wanderingaimles
Explorer
Explorer
With it appearing that all the truck makers are building them taller from the factories with 18-20 inch wheels and taller off road suspensions, this will continue.
How many now have a problem of not being able to lift full profile 5ers any farther without going above the 13'6" mark? Folks either are already are or soon will be forced to reduce side rail clearance to stay lower overall.

Roger10378
Explorer II
Explorer II
I drove through the ditch getting my 5er home for the first time. It didn't hit the truck but the steps of the 5er took a beating. I ended up widening the driveway 4 ft so that I can get in and out of it.
2005 Cardinal 30TS
2007 Chevy 2500HD D/A

valhalla360
Nomad
Nomad
It sucks but not really a "jack knife"

Also not a new issue. Plenty of discussion about minimum clearance between truck bed and 5er overhang...though not many will have enough to handle falling into the ditch.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV