14 Ram 2500 4x4 Crew 6.4L Hemi 4.10
06 Chevy 1500 4x4 E-Cab 3.73 5.3L
07 Dodge 1500 5.7L Hemi 3.55 / 2010 Jayco 17z
All above are sold, no longer own an RV
78 REPLIES 78

LITEPHIL
Explorer
Explorer
For the weight they were towing and at that altitude, I think it did ok for a small block non turbo gas engine. That thing was probably gasping for air. Part of finding the true towing potential would be shifting gears manually if needed. I couldn't watch the whole thing since that one guy sort of gives me the creaps. It will be interesting to see a comparison with the Ford and Dodge gas engines. I very much doubt they'll do that much better. Gas,extreme weight and altitude are not the gas engines best friend.
2022 Chevy Silverado RST Duramax NHT
1954 Chevy 3100 Carryall 4x4
2008 Salem T23FBL
04 FXDL Harley

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
The 2020 Chevy HD is still ugly as sin.

I saw one in person a few weeks ago, they are extremely tall too.

2020 Chevy HD - too tall for my liking.
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

ShinerBock
Explorer
Explorer
ls1mike wrote:
ShinerBock wrote:
ls1mike wrote:
Lynnmor wrote:
jfritz_drfritz wrote:

I wonder if it fails to downshift because at that altitude the engine doesnโ€™t generate enough torque for the transmission to sense a downshift point

I wonder if sensors saw high temperatures after miles of full throttle and dialed back the power to save the engine or transmission.

In this video and the 2017 gasser video they mention all temps were in spec.

But that is just it. It could have defueled or cut power to keep the temps within spec. Diesel do the same thing. The Ram 6.4L did it as well the last Ike run they had. This 6.6L could have forced the truck into lower rpms to keep the temps at safe levels.

Right, but that is not a parameter in the transmission field. There are something close to 450 parameters for the 6L80E/6L90E. For the 6L80E and 6L90E time and pressure are the tow big ones. I will hook up the Laptop next time I tow and see. I don't remember reading about or being able to mess defueling in the program. I have HP Tuners. That thing is great if you understand it. It has really woke the Caprice up with the cam swap. I don't plan on messing with the truck at all. It is a great diagnostic tool too. Like I know guys who remove torque management. Not really worth it to me, I don't feel like rebuilding the 6L80E in the Caprice every other season.

You may not be able to all perimeters depending on the software or tuning tool you are using. I know I can see more perimeters with my EFI Live software than I can with my MM3. EFI Live is by far the best when it comes to how many parameters it can view/alter especially when it comes to GM vehicles.
2014 Ram 2500 6.7L CTD
2016 BMW 2.0L diesel (work and back car)
2023 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 3.0L Ecodiesel

Highland Ridge Silverstar 378RBS

ls1mike
Explorer II
Explorer II
ShinerBock wrote:
ls1mike wrote:
Lynnmor wrote:
jfritz_drfritz wrote:

I wonder if it fails to downshift because at that altitude the engine doesnโ€™t generate enough torque for the transmission to sense a downshift point

I wonder if sensors saw high temperatures after miles of full throttle and dialed back the power to save the engine or transmission.

But that is just it. It could have defueled or cut power to keep the temps within spec. Diesel do the same thing. The Ram 6.4L did it as well the last Ike run they had. This 6.6L could have forced the truck into lower rpms to keep the temps at safe levels.

Right, but that is not a parameter in the transmission field. There are something close to 450 parameters for the 6L80E/6L90E. For the 6L80E and 6L90E time and pressure are the tow big ones. I will hook up the Laptop next time I tow and see. I don't remember reading about or being able to mess defueling in the program. I have HP Tuners. That thing is great if you understand it. It has really woke the Caprice up with the cam swap. I don't plan on messing with the truck at all. It is a great diagnostic tool too. Like I know guys who remove torque management. Not really worth it to me, I don't feel like rebuilding the 6L80E in the Caprice every other season.
Mike
2024 Chevy 2500HD 6.6 gas/Allison
2012 Passport 3220 BHWE
Me, the Wife, two little ones and two dogs.

ShinerBock
Explorer
Explorer
ls1mike wrote:
Lynnmor wrote:
jfritz_drfritz wrote:

2014 Ram 2500 6.7L CTD

ls1mike
Explorer II
Explorer II
Lynnmor wrote:
jfritz_drfritz wrote:

I am going to look at the Caprices tune tonight. It is pretty similar to the truck believe it or not.
I know the Caprice looks at speed/rpms/time/MAF/TPS. I will have to look and see it temp is part of it.

I really messed withe Caprice when I got rid of the AFM cam and installed an LS9 cam.
Mike
2012 Passport 3220 BHWE

ls1mike
Explorer II
Explorer II
JIMNLIN wrote:
At the end of the test they were going 2600 RPM at 25 mph. Truck wouldn't downshift. I wonder what would have been different if they put it in manual. To be honest I never put mine in manual, but I have not towed the IKE.

I use manual mode in a auto tranny for that type towing. I made a living for over 11 straight years with manual transmission LDTs so I know better than the ECM which gear to select and at what point a gear shift is or isn't needed.

Of course these test are better suited to for those that don't want to do the thinking/shifting for which gear is needed at that moment.
Results would be different up and down hill using manual mode by a experienced operator........or a smarter engine/tranny operating ECM.

I just have not had to use it in this truck. They old truck was 4 speed. I would leave it in third sometimes. I am not towing really heavy and here in Washington we don't get anything that high in elevation so it stays in the correct gear.
Mike
2012 Passport 3220 BHWE

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
jfritz_drfritz wrote:

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
At the end of the test they were going 2600 RPM at 25 mph. Truck wouldn't downshift. I wonder what would have been different if they put it in manual. To be honest I never put mine in manual, but I have not towed the IKE.

I use manual mode in a auto tranny for that type towing. I made a living for over 11 straight years with manual transmission LDTs so I know better than the ECM which gear to select and at what point a gear shift is or isn't needed.

Of course these test are better suited to for those that don't want to do the thinking/shifting for which gear is needed at that moment.
Results would be different up and down hill using manual mode by a experienced operator........or a smarter engine/tranny operating ECM.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

ls1mike
Explorer II
Explorer II
jfritz_drfritz wrote:
ls1mike wrote:
ShinerBock wrote:
There should be a caveat with N/A gaser tow ratings such as you loose X pounds of rating every Y feet above elevation instead of just saying it can tow 16,000 lbs. Unless doing 25 mph at 5,000 rpm without any power to pass is your idea of towing.

Based off the tuning I have done with my cam upgrades in my 2000 WS6 and my 2014 Caprice which is a 6.0/6L80E so similar. I will bet it is the amount of air the computer sees VS throttle position VS actual RPM.
Mike
2012 Passport 3220 BHWE

jfritz_drfritz
Explorer
Explorer
ls1mike wrote:
ShinerBock wrote:
There should be a caveat with N/A gaser tow ratings such as you loose X pounds of rating every Y feet above elevation instead of just saying it can tow 16,000 lbs. Unless doing 25 mph at 5,000 rpm without any power to pass is your idea of towing.

blofgren
Explorer
Explorer
ShinerBock wrote:
The current CP4.2 is not the same as the old one that was notorious for failing on the 2011-2015 Ford and GM trucks. There is a different cam profile among other things and the max pressure was raised from 29k to 36k.

I believe the new Cummins is only pushing out 29k psi which plays a huge role in the pumps longevity and reliability since it is not utilizing the pump to its max capacity like Ford and GM were with the old CP4.2. The new 2020 PSD is utilizing 36k psi from the new CP4.2.

Interesting info. It will be interesting to see how these pumps do in both the new Ram and Ford. I wonโ€™t be personally experimenting though because Iโ€™m holding on to my trusty CP3 powered truck! ๐Ÿ™‚
2013 Ram 3500 Megacab DRW Laramie 4x4, 6.7L Cummins, G56, 3.73, Maximum Steel, black lthr, B&W RVK3670 hitch, Retrax, Linex, and a bunch of options incl. cargo camera
2008 Corsair Excella Platinum 34.5 CKTS fifth wheel with winter package & disc brakes

ShinerBock
Explorer
Explorer
The current CP4.2 is not the same as the old one that was notorious for failing on the 2011-2015 Ford and GM trucks. There is a different cam profile among other things and the max pressure was raised from 29k to 39k psi.

I believe the new Cummins is only pushing out 29k psi which plays a huge role in the pumps longevity and reliability since it is not utilizing the pump to its max capacity like Ford and GM were with the old CP4.2. The new 2020 PSD is utilizing 36k psi from the new CP4.2.
2014 Ram 2500 6.7L CTD

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III
Flashman wrote:
FishOnOne wrote:
Flashman wrote:
wowens79 wrote:
My biggest concern going diesel is with all the Emmisions **** on them, and the cost to repair it. I know some have no probs, but you read stories all the time of CP4 fuel pump grenading and costing $10k to repair, or $5k Emmisions repairs.

I keep trucks well past warranty, my current truck I've had for 17 years, and 235k miles, and I've had 2 engine repairs. A fuel pump at 195k miles, and at 210k I had new rear main seal, oil cooler lines, valve cover gaskets etc replace because it was dripping oil all over the driveway. Total engine repairs over 17 years is less than $2500.

I'm debating new trucks now, and diesel vs gas is part of the debate. There is no denying that the diesel is a beast towing, but I'm only towing 8000k lbs, and I'm in the southeast, so we've got little hills compared the out west. After 15-20 years resale is not real a huge concern.

I believe the CP4 problem and warranty denial was a Ford problem. GM and RAM seem to have far fewer problems. If you are stuck in the Ford camp then I guess you get what you deserve.

The new Ram Cummins welcomes you to the CP4.2 and all it's glory for years to come.

I wonder if they will deny warranty claims - oh wait that was Ford.

I wouldn't hold my breathe based on FCA's history on handling safety recalls. And that Ram Cummins with the CP4.2 has limited warranty so FCA will stick it to you either way.
'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs "270k Miles"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"