Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: 2020 GM/Chevy gas 6.6L max towing test
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> 2020 GM/Chevy gas 6.6L max towing test

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 8  
Prev  |  Next
ls1mike

Bremerton

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/17/19 10:24am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Grit dog wrote:

Not disparaging your lack of concern about getting rear ended, by going slow, that’s not a high likelihood concern, I agree.
But 18 over Tiger mtn I think is the most unsafe road in the state by stats.
I’ve seen more terrible accidents on 18 between Hobart and I 90 then most other highways combined around here. And it’s not out of line to presume some of it has to do with the speed differential of vehicles on that road.
Still not a “should buy a diesel” issue.

I agree, 18 may have been an extreme example. My least favorite road to drive in any of my vehicles. People are really impatient and it really needs to be revamped. Lots of semis using it to get to 90 from I-5.

wanderingaimlessly

SOBOVA

View Profile

Posted: 10/17/19 10:43am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I dont know if I'm just over gentle on my old Dodge/Ram but my 2500 with a 360 gets about 14 to 15 mpg now @ 212k miles, I got closer to 16 when it was new. Thats running unladen. I am in flat land and mild hills only, with occasional trips into the Blue Ridge areas.
When I take the TT it drops off to 11-12 but again I'm gentle keeping speeds to 55 or so.
The higher mileage would drastically affect the chart for mileage your using for comparasions, I dont know if Diesel would improve enough to cover the difference.

spud1957

NB

View Profile

Posted: 10/17/19 10:54am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My G*d this argument gets old.

rhagfo

Portland, OR

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/17/19 12:27pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Grit dog wrote:

ls1mike wrote:

rhagfo wrote:

Not about three and a half minutes. it is exposing your self to getting rear ended when crawling up a grade ant less than 45 mph!

Also as Shiner Bock, stated power to pass a slower vehicle. It is nice to have the power to pass a slower vehicle on a two when the opportunity arrives. Pulled a pass like that with the old 2001, pulling 12,300#.

So you are in Oregon. You ever travel Highway 18 or Snoqualmie in Washington state? Tons of large trucks going slower than that I can't remember the last time I saw one get rear ended. This past summer I followed my buddy of Snoqualmie pass with he 1999 7.3 he was well under 40 mph. I just hung out behind him no issues. I could have went around him no problem, but there wasn't a need to.

Not disparaging your lack of concern about getting rear ended, by going slow, that’s not a high likelihood concern, I agree.
But 18 over Tiger mtn I think is the most unsafe road in the state by stats.
I’ve seen more terrible accidents on 18 between Hobart and I 90 then most other highways combined around here. And it’s not out of line to presume some of it has to do with the speed differential of vehicles on that road.
Still not a “should buy a diesel” issue.

Is1Mike, I haven’t been over 18 or 90 in like 20 years, but when I lived in Washington in was over them almost weekly, and have seen some bad rear end accidents.
Hwy 18 is a terrible road even with the passing lanes, there is always that one person that figures that can get around that semi or RV before the passing lane ends.
I90 isn’t as bad as it is like 10 lanes wide just before the summit! (Really only four lanes I think) but lots of lanes to get around trucks and slow RVs.

* This post was edited 10/17/19 12:43pm by rhagfo *

Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

Iraqvet05

Greenwood, MO

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/17/19 12:56pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

spud1957 wrote:

My G*d this argument gets old.

Agreed

2017 Ford F-250 6.2 gas
2018 Jayco 28BHBE

US Army veteran

goducks10

There

View Profile

Posted: 10/17/19 12:56pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I think I'm going to take the 6.4 badge off my Ram so I don't look like a fool while towing with it.

Thanks for the heads up.

TurnThePage

North ID

View Profile

Posted: 10/17/19 03:05pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

goducks10 wrote:

I think I'm going to take the 6.4 badge off my Ram so I don't look like a fool while towing with it.

Thanks for the heads up.
[emoticon]

2015 Ram 1500
2004 Pioneer 18T6

thomasmnile

Lake Mary, FL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/17/19 04:05pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I watched the video. They were testing a truck?? I too taken with the scenery to notice. Florida landscape sucks! [emoticon]

ls1mike

Bremerton

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/17/19 04:33pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Didn't mean to start it. I usually stay out of these, but some people on here think a 1 ton diesel dually is required to move a tear drop trailer... [emoticon]

Mike
2017 Chevy 3500HD 6.0 Crew Cab Long bed
2012 Passport 3220 BHWE
Me, the Wife, two little ones and two dogs.

wing_zealot

East of the Mississippi

View Profile

Posted: 10/17/19 05:38pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ShinerBock wrote:

Yeah, but calculate total cost of ownership with a release/trade-in value at the end of 100k or 150k like I did below. You will find that even if you don't tow at all, the difference in cost is nowhere near that.

[image]

Here's What the professional data says Clicky

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 8  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> 2020 GM/Chevy gas 6.6L max towing test
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.