cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Seat belts in a camper?

adamis
Nomad
Nomad
So as fortune would have it, my wife and I found out that we are expecting twins! The domino's are falling all over the place as we re-contemplate life in general. Our life just got a whole lot more complicated!

Part of that contemplation is the realization that the truck (F350 Quad Cab with seats for 5) is no longer able to transport two adults, two teens and two car seats along with the dog. Changing the truck isn't in the cards (have to save up for a daily driver that can transport six now) so I'm trying to come up with options.

As a kid, I remember spending plenty of miles in the overhead of the camper and looking out the front facing window. In today's bubble wrapped world though, such "freedom" is frowned upon. One solution I considered is adding seat-belts in the camper itself for the teens. I know class C RVs will do this but I don't think I have ever heard of it being done in a camper. Safety and keeping the kids buckled in is concern of course but pushing that aside for the discussion, is there any legal issues with the idea?

The next option which may only last for a year or two is to put one car seat on the bench in the back and another where the center console is. This would take some modification to make sure it is secure but I think it is possible.

Of course the last option (and least favorite) will be to suck up and drive a second vehicle. The problem with this solution is my wife doesn't like to drive long distances on mountain roads so it would dampen the distances taken for trips.

Trading the truck and camper are not options.

Thoughts?

1999 F350 Dually with 7.3 Diesel
2000 Bigfoot 10.6 Camper
35 REPLIES 35

mellow
Explorer
Explorer
Does your 350 have the manual zf6 or automatic? I know I would miss that storage in the center console but you gotta do what you gotta do. My kids are 8 and 11 and I now have fun camping with them somewhat, can't imagine getting that news, more power to the wife for not wanting to hunker down.
2002 F-350 7.3 Lariat 4x4 DRW ZF6
2008 Lance 1191 - 220w of solar - Bring on the sun!

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
adamis wrote:
Our criteria was seating for 7.

7 might be a problem with two car seats unless your teens are small and will sit in the third row. Make sure the vehicle supports car seats in the third row, otherwise. I donโ€™t think many do.

Also, look into Diono car seats. They have models that are quite a bit more narrow than most any brand and are well made. In case anyone wonders why I know about car seats, I recently had to learn which models fit 3 wide in the Explorer to carry the 3 grandkids some of the time. :D. Amazing the difference in width times 3.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member

adamis
Nomad
Nomad
The wife and I have talked, she actually surprised me because she said she doesn't want to sell the camper and is planning on still going camping this summer with the twins!

On the vehicle front, we started looking at a different vehicle that will be our traveling rig. We went to 8 different dealerships to see if we could find something that we liked. Our criteria was seating for 7. We initially started looking at the Expedition Max which checked all of the boxes with plenty of seating and cargo capacity but then the Mrs had reservations about the sheer size of the rig. We looked at several other mid-size SUVs that has seating for 7 and while she felt more comfortable driving it, there was almost no cargo capacity. We went back and forth but eventually compromised with getting two vehicles. The larger vehicle now so we can travel and haul everything we need and then in a couple of years, we will upgrade her car to a mid-size suv that has the seating capacity for 7 but just not the cargo capacity.

For future camping trips, if we grow out of the camper, I think we will likely rent a travel trailer versus buying one and selling the camper. Realistically we won't be doing a lot of trips in the near future and by the time the twins are old enough to really have freedom to travel, the older girls will be off to college. I don't see the point in buying a TT for what would be just a limited period of time in my books.

1999 F350 Dually with 7.3 Diesel
2000 Bigfoot 10.6 Camper

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
The truth is that no RV beside bus or van conversions have roll-over rating.
When in motorhome floor is bolted to the frame (with help of the brackets) in TC we see tiny ties and that is not making good impression.
But than I did not hear report that any of those ties let the camper drop, so I would consider that ilusion.
At least with TC the truck cabin should not collapse, but I have no doubt that in any serious accident, belts or not, there will be fatalities between passengers in camper seating.

Jennifer_Koper
Explorer
Explorer
Is it possible to do drink on driving at Los Angles. if yes, what is the best secure way for doing the same like by the any kind of instrument at inside.

jaycocreek
Explorer
Explorer
One solution I considered is adding seat-belts in the camper itself for the teens. I know class C RVs will do this but I don't think I have ever heard of it being done in a camper. Safety and keeping the kids buckled in is concern of course but pushing that aside for the discussion, is there any legal issues with the idea?

Well, it is legal in most states and as far as safety,I think the TC mounted on the truck correctly would handle a collision better than a Class C or Class A motorhome..The motorhomes are built on the frames but a TC sits anchored in a pickup..Way less likely to crumble on a pickup than a motorhome..I just sold a Class C 21ft with seat belts..

My Class C was way more prone to leaks and cracks being built off the frame and the unit itself had to absorb every little twist and turn while on a TC,the pickup absorbs all those twist and turns,not the TC..

There is a reason it is legal in most states,it doesn't provide anymore risk than a motorhome or they would ban it in a heart beat like everything else they ban..Motorcycle helmets required comes to mind.

People around here ride around in the back of pickup trucks all the time and about every other pickup has a dog in the back bouncing around..lol
Lance 9.6
400 watts solar mounted/200 watts portable
500ah Lifep04

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
OP already has a trailer behind his TC.

specta
Explorer
Explorer
burningman wrote:
Iโ€™d sell the whole setup and buy a Suburban and trailer.

So far I think burningman has the best suggestion.
Kenny
1996 Jayco 376FB Eagle Series TT
1997 Jayco 246FB Eagle Series TT
1976 Ford F-250 4wd Mercury Marauder 410 - 4V
Regular cabs. The best looking trucks.

specta
Explorer
Explorer
Sell the two teenagers. ๐Ÿ™‚
Kenny
1996 Jayco 376FB Eagle Series TT
1997 Jayco 246FB Eagle Series TT
1976 Ford F-250 4wd Mercury Marauder 410 - 4V
Regular cabs. The best looking trucks.

burningman
Explorer
Explorer
Iโ€™d sell the whole setup and buy a Suburban and trailer.
You havenโ€™t got room for twins and teens in a truck camper even if you can cram everyone into the truck.
2017 Northern Lite 10-2 EX CD SE
99 Ram 4x4 Dually Cummins
A whole lot more fuel, a whole lot more boost.
4.10 gears, Gear Vendors overdrive, exhaust brake
Built auto, triple disc, billet shafts.
Kelderman Air Ride, Helwig sway bar.

c_traveler2
Nomad
Nomad
Most like at sometime all of us have rode in the TC, is it safe, not a chance.

Here's a link that show state by state if you can or can't.
Riding in a TC

You decide for yourself, it's a risk.
2007 F-250 4x4 /6.0 PSD/ext cab/ 2020 Bunduvry

Lance 815/ 85 watts solar panel (sold)
2020 Bunduvry by BundutecUSA

Travelingman2 Photo Website
Truck Camper Trip Reports 3.0
travelingman21000 YouTube Videos
Alex and Julie's Travels Blog

DWeikert
Explorer II
Explorer II
Legality of riding in a TC or other camper varies by state.
A State-by-State Guide to Driving in Campers

For example, in PA it's only legal to ride in a 5th wheel and then only if there's a means of communication between passengers in the camper and the driver.
Dan
2008 Chevy D/A 2500HD ECSB
2010 Northstar 8.5 Adventurer

TxGearhead
Explorer
Explorer
Looks like it's tan mini van and pop up time. LOL
But, congrats on the twins.
The teens will be off to college or out before you know it.
2018 Ram 3500 CC LB DRW 4X4 Cummins Aisin Laramie Pearl White
2018 Landmark Oshkosh
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4
2014 NauticStar 21 ShallowBay 150HP Yamaha
2016 GoDevil 18X44 35HP Surface Drive

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Iโ€™d say seat belts in the camper are not going to help much in the event of an incident.
Regarding riding back there, not a topic that will get a lot of love on this site, however it appears that it is not illegal in most states if I believe the internet.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold