cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why aren't Truck Campers popular in W. Pa.?

time2retire
Explorer
Explorer
I don't get it. With all the hunters, fisherman and unlimited destinations, why aren't TC's very popular in Western Pa.?

Heck you can't even find a dealer with a decent inventory within 5 hours.

I am going to buy one soon but it has been the hardest $25,000 cash I've ever tried to spend.

Done a ton of research and have zoned in on the Cirrus 820. They're made 2 hours from me but the closest dealer is 5 hours away and are idiots.

Who pulls into a TC dealer with a nice shiny F-250 with no tailgate, $25,000 in cash, and leaves empty handed? ME!

New member here and the info on this site is unmatched that I can find. Keep up the good work TC'rs.

Rant over.
67 REPLIES 67

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
markchengr wrote:
I have a Northern Lite 10-2 on a GMC 3500. When I weighed it ready to camp, the stock rear wheels and tires were right at the limit. I had to go to 19.5's to feel safe. It handles well now, no more sway. Most truck sway is in the sidewalls of the tires. No way would I use a 3/4 ton to carry most of the campers out there. In fact, I don't know why they even make 3/4 ton trucks. Either get a real truck or a little grocery-getter 1/2 ton. Sorry, but I'm rather highly opinionated. I guess that's an understatement. Only my opinion, didn't mean to offend anyone.

Do you realize that most 3/4T and 1T srw trucks are essentially the same truck?
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

time2retire
Explorer
Explorer
First trip with the new Adventurer. We had temps in the 60's two weeks ago so we did a weekend practice run at Quinemahoning state Park, Pa. Everything went well as we learned some things about our new toy.

Edit: Ok, how do I get the pic up?

Moderator edit: only one set of image tags

mellow
Explorer
Explorer
time2retire wrote:
He claimed it was good for a 3/4 ton sw truck. I was skeptical. Am I wrong?

Come down to the beach, SRW's galore carrying more weight than that while out on soft sand in 4x4. Now should it be done that is the question, I answered it for myself by upgrading to a DRW.
2002 F-350 7.3 Lariat 4x4 DRW ZF6
2008 Lance 1191 - 220w of solar - Bring on the sun!

markchengr
Explorer
Explorer
I have a Northern Lite 10-2 on a GMC 3500. When I weighed it ready to camp, the stock rear wheels and tires were right at the limit. I had to go to 19.5's to feel safe. It handles well now, no more sway. Most truck sway is in the sidewalls of the tires. No way would I use a 3/4 ton to carry most of the campers out there. In fact, I don't know why they even make 3/4 ton trucks. Either get a real truck or a little grocery-getter 1/2 ton. Sorry, but I'm rather highly opinionated. I guess that's an understatement. Only my opinion, didn't mean to offend anyone.

stumper92
Explorer
Explorer
time2retire wrote:
Kayteg1 wrote:
3800 lb empty, will make close to 5000 lb loaded.
Average 3/4 tons truck has close to 3000 lb on rear axle, so that makes total zooming at 7500- 8000 lb.
Find me 3/4 truck who has rear axle rated for it?

That's exactly what I was thinking. His justification was that NL delivered the unit on a 3/4 ton and he brought it to the show on one.

As much as I'd like to see more RV dealers sell them here, they have a lot to learn.

Also the camper would have been dry and without all the stuff you typically load in a camper after you buy it.

time2retire
Explorer
Explorer
Kayteg1 wrote:
Average 3/4 tons truck has close to 3000 lb on rear axle, so that makes total zooming at 7500- 8000 lb.

That's exactly what I was thinking. His justification was that NL delivered the unit on a 3/4 ton and he brought it to the show on one.

As much as I'd like to see more RV dealers sell them here, they have a lot to learn.

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer

time2retire
Explorer
Explorer
Well I'll be! We went to the RV show in Pgh. this weekend and guess what? For the first time since I've been going there (20 yrs.) they have a truck camper on display. And guess what else? It's a Northern Light for $45,000. I forget the model but the weight is 3800 lbs. It had a nice layout for an 8' bed. It seamed that it got a lot of attention.

The RV dealer from Central Pa. had just signed on to NL. He really didn't know a lot about it.

He claimed it was good for a 3/4 ton sw truck. I was skeptical. Am I wrong?

Anyhow it was good to see one at the W. Pa. RV show for the first time.

Like I said before, if you don't have em you won't sell em.

Eugarps
Explorer
Explorer
All,

Even though truck campers are superior in all kinds of ways, many in the crowded East have turned to vans. They can be had in automotive looking configurations that do offend HOAs and fit even more comfortably into the more compact parking spaces now allowed by some jurisdictions. Thus, even one ton trucks are viewed askance by HOAs and they are horrified by dual rear wheels!

So, you almost have to go at least west of the Appalachians to find truck campers. The southeast has so dealers, I think, because they are close to beaches that allow camping on the beach.

All that said, truck campers are “Van Life” done right.

My $0.02 and worth it!

Bill
1978 27' Southwind MH - Gone
1982 19' Terry Taurus TT - Gone
1990 24' Prowler TT - Gone
TC - Still in the Hunt

otrfun
Explorer II
Explorer II
time2retire wrote:
. . . -The hot water heater seems to run fine. It has no thermostat. The manual covers many models and mentions that it will max out at 180*. That seems high to me as I know the polystyrene insulation enveloping it can melt at 160*. Should I be watching this? I haven't let it max out yet . . .
Buzzcut1 wrote:
. . . My lance has no thermostat on the hot water heater. I have never worried about it in ten years . . .
They might not have a typical thermostat like the one on the wall for your propane heater, but they do have a preset thermostat attached to the hot water tank itself. Most RV HW heater thermostats shut things down around 140 degrees. If the thermostat malfunctions (doesn't shut off the propane/electric), the pressure relief valve will/should activate.

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
based on the amount of traffic on this site I didn't think a new thread was necessary as most people would go to the last posted response anyway. There was some history here that I thought relevant.
For future reference you would get a better response by starting a new thread. There are lots of people on this forum but very few of the overall membership responded to:
Why aren't Truck Campers popular in W. Pa.? Your initial/opening question has nothing to do with your current plugging in question. By asking the question within your initial thread you are leaving out a lot of participants/members that could possibly give insight into your new question.
Back on topic.
For the record I keep my RV plugged in 24/7 365. Keeps everything charged and ready to go. Been doing it that way for years
19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

time2retire
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks, jimh425, based on the amount of traffic on this site I didn't think a new thread was necessary as most people would go to the last posted response anyway. There was some history here that I thought relevant.

How do I check "to see if their is a current to charge going down the road"? The camper running lights are on. I would think a 2018 loaded TC would have that relay. No?

Buzzcut, I do have a battery to camper shut off. It looks like a headlight switch on an old car. Should it be off or on while traveling? If it's off then the batteries could not be charging while underway. Right?

While camping, should I disconnect the camper wire from the truck to avoid an unnecessary draw down?

great info. thanks.

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
time2retire, you should generally create a new topic, so people can find the new questions. That’s just the way forums work.

Any way, you don’t need 30A to keep your batteries topped off. You can just plug in for a day or so every month or so. I keep my power shutoff because there is parasitic drain from propane detector. It takes a while, but eventually will run your battery down.

You have to check your plug to see if their is current to charge going down the road. Some trucks do it automatically while some need a relay//fuse added.

There are methods to add a thermostat to your water heater, but it should automatically cut off. 180 seems awfully hot. I heat water on the stove if needed for coffee etc. It’s fast.

People debate whether appliances should be on/off when traveling. I leave my refrigerator on when traveling. Others say it isn’t safe.

You can search the archives to find answers to your questions, but if not, please start a new topic when you have more questions. It makes it easier for others to realize it’s “new”.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member

Buzzcut1
Nomad II
Nomad II
I leave my lance plugged in while not in use that way the batteries are always charged and the fridge is always cold ( I store extra beer in there).

Yes the batteries should charge while driving if the wiring is hooked up correctly. Make sure you have an automatic interrupt in the circuit so that when the truck is turned off the camper cannot draw down the truck batteries

My lance has no thermostat on the hot water heater. I have never worried about it in ten years,

traveling. Fridge runs on propane, I only turn it off at gas staions before pulling in unless I am filling in the truck area at a truck stop ( only diesel at the pumps so no fire danger from the flame) In very cold temps I will drive with the furnace on to keep the camper water pipes from freezing otherwise its off.
2011 F350 6.7L Diesel 4x4 CrewCab longbed Dually, 2019 Lance 1062, Torqlift Talons, Fast Guns, upper and lower Stable Loads, Super Hitch, 48" Super Truss, Airlift loadlifter 5000 extreme airbags