Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Why aren't Truck Campers popular in W. Pa.?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Why aren't Truck Campers popular in W. Pa.?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev
time2retire

Pittsburgh

View Profile

Posted: 11/11/19 11:38am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mellow wrote:

Congrats on the TC! You will have to come back to Assateague again this summer and give the 4x4 a workout and do some surf fishing, it is pretty much Lance country around here.

Definitely on the list for this year. We really enjoyed Frontier town with our new born at the biker rally in 88. LOL

Assateague is a great place for the whole family. every one gets to do what they want. Swim, boogie, fish, relax and read, explore and battle the horse flies and no seeums.

mellow

Salisbury, MD

View Profile

Posted: 11/11/19 03:18pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you hadn't in the past you should get your OSV pass and spend a night or two out on the beach now that you have a TC again. Skip the Frontier town craziness.

2002 F-350 7.3 Lariat 4x4 DRW ZF6
2008 Lance 1191 - 220w of solar - Bring on the sun!

Mike and Terry Ann

Hooversville,Pa

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/12/19 08:08am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Congrat on the truck Camper... When your driving start to notice low structures like drive tru . I stopped going thru drive thru because I know at some point I would forget. Safe Travels

time2retire

Pittsburgh

View Profile

Posted: 12/10/19 05:33am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would like to change the topic but I'm keeping it on this same thread so anyone reading will know a little of my recent history.

I've done all or most of the upgrades I mentioned earlier to my new Adventurer TC. It didn't come with much of a manual. So I have some lingering questions I hope this community can help me with.

My questions:

-When the camper is being stored, should I leave the 30v hooked up and turned on to the 110 wall plug? Should I leave the master power shutoff on? Is this charging the batteries (I put 2 ganged new ones in)? The Jensen audio unit is lit up but still turned off.

-When the camper is hooked up on the truck, are the batteries charging going down the road or when the truck is running?

-The hot water heater seems to run fine. It has no thermostat. The manual covers many models and mentions that it will max out at 180*. That seems high to me as I know the polystyrene insulation enveloping it can melt at 160*. Should I be watching this? I haven't let it max out yet.

-I'm pretty sure the hot water, furnace, and fridge should be turned off while traveling. What keeps your food from spoiling on a long trip?

I have more but let's start with these. There is a lot of expertise on here so I appreciate any help.

Buzzcut1

Norcal

View Profile

Posted: 12/10/19 06:26am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I leave my lance plugged in while not in use that way the batteries are always charged and the fridge is always cold ( I store extra beer in there).

Yes the batteries should charge while driving if the wiring is hooked up correctly. Make sure you have an automatic interrupt in the circuit so that when the truck is turned off the camper cannot draw down the truck batteries

My lance has no thermostat on the hot water heater. I have never worried about it in ten years,

traveling. Fridge runs on propane, I only turn it off at gas staions before pulling in unless I am filling in the truck area at a truck stop ( only diesel at the pumps so no fire danger from the flame) In very cold temps I will drive with the furnace on to keep the camper water pipes from freezing otherwise its off.

2011 F350 6.7L Diesel 4x4 CrewCab longbed Dually, 08 Lance 1055, Torqlift Talons, Fast Guns, upper and lower Stable Loads, Super Hitch, 48" Super Truss, Airlift loadlifter 5000 extreme airbags

jimh425

Western MT

View Profile

Posted: 12/10/19 06:33am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

time2retire, you should generally create a new topic, so people can find the new questions. That’s just the way forums work.

Any way, you don’t need 30A to keep your batteries topped off. You can just plug in for a day or so every month or so. I keep my power shutoff because there is parasitic drain from propane detector. It takes a while, but eventually will run your battery down.

You have to check your plug to see if their is current to charge going down the road. Some trucks do it automatically while some need a relay//fuse added.

There are methods to add a thermostat to your water heater, but it should automatically cut off. 180 seems awfully hot. I heat water on the stove if needed for coffee etc. It’s fast.

People debate whether appliances should be on/off when traveling. I leave my refrigerator on when traveling. Others say it isn’t safe.

You can search the archives to find answers to your questions, but if not, please start a new topic when you have more questions. It makes it easier for others to realize it’s “new”.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 Dbl Slide, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Air Bags, Hankook DH-01 225/19.5 Fs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

time2retire

Pittsburgh

View Profile

Posted: 12/10/19 07:06am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks, jimh425, based on the amount of traffic on this site I didn't think a new thread was necessary as most people would go to the last posted response anyway. There was some history here that I thought relevant.

How do I check "to see if their is a current to charge going down the road"? The camper running lights are on. I would think a 2018 loaded TC would have that relay. No?

Buzzcut, I do have a battery to camper shut off. It looks like a headlight switch on an old car. Should it be off or on while traveling? If it's off then the batteries could not be charging while underway. Right?

While camping, should I disconnect the camper wire from the truck to avoid an unnecessary draw down?

great info. thanks.

Lantley

Ellicott City, Maryland

View Profile

Posted: 12/10/19 07:45am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

based on the amount of traffic on this site I didn't think a new thread was necessary as most people would go to the last posted response anyway. There was some history here that I thought relevant.
For future reference you would get a better response by starting a new thread. There are lots of people on this forum but very few of the overall membership responded to:
Why aren't Truck Campers popular in W. Pa.? Your initial/opening question has nothing to do with your current plugging in question. By asking the question within your initial thread you are leaving out a lot of participants/members that could possibly give insight into your new question.
Back on topic.
For the record I keep my RV plugged in 24/7 365. Keeps everything charged and ready to go. Been doing it that way for years

2019 Duramax w/hips,2012 Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
H-head TPMS,BD3,RV safepower,17" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

otrfun

Desert SW

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/10/19 08:18am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

time2retire wrote:

. . . -The hot water heater seems to run fine. It has no thermostat. The manual covers many models and mentions that it will max out at 180*. That seems high to me as I know the polystyrene insulation enveloping it can melt at 160*. Should I be watching this? I haven't let it max out yet . . .
Buzzcut1 wrote:

. . . My lance has no thermostat on the hot water heater. I have never worried about it in ten years . . .
They might not have a typical thermostat like the one on the wall for your propane heater, but they do have a preset thermostat attached to the hot water tank itself. Most RV HW heater thermostats shut things down around 140 degrees. If the thermostat malfunctions (doesn't shut off the propane/electric), the pressure relief valve will/should activate.

Eugarps

Hagerstown, MD

View Profile

Posted: 12/10/19 06:52pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

All,

Even though truck campers are superior in all kinds of ways, many in the crowded East have turned to vans. They can be had in automotive looking configurations that do offend HOAs and fit even more comfortably into the more compact parking spaces now allowed by some jurisdictions. Thus, even one ton trucks are viewed askance by HOAs and they are horrified by dual rear wheels!

So, you almost have to go at least west of the Appalachians to find truck campers. The southeast has so dealers, I think, because they are close to beaches that allow camping on the beach.

All that said, truck campers are “Van Life” done right.

My $0.02 and worth it!

Bill

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Why aren't Truck Campers popular in W. Pa.?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.