Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Engine Series * Update 1 * Update 2 * Update 3 * STARTUP
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Engine Series * Update 1 * Update 2 * Update 3 * STARTUP

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Camper_Jeff_&_Kelli

Seattle

View Profile

Posted: 10/21/19 09:21am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Update 3. Engine Installation Almost Complete

All is complete. Waiting for some RTV sealer to dry 24 hours. First firing soon this morning after 5 days, two people and a 3rd person Saturday. Guest mechanic, my brother.

Camper Jeff and Kelli's Blog!
CITAP1 Jeff's YouTube Channel
A CLOSED MOUTH GATHERS NO FEET!

jimh425

Western MT

View Profile

Posted: 10/21/19 10:01am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Just wondering, why did you decide to stay with the 5.4 instead of a larger engine?

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 Dbl Slide, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Air Bags, Hankook DH-01 225/19.5 Fs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

Camper_Jeff_&_Kelli

Seattle

View Profile

Posted: 10/21/19 10:39am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jimh425 wrote:

Just wondering, why did you decide to stay with the 5.4 instead of a larger engine?

Because you have to change the wire harness, sensors, computer, and other issues whereas this pops right in. The 40 overbore makes it about a 338 cubic inch engine now. It's a lot tighter as a new engine, should produce more power, better mileage... we'll see after some miles.

Camper_Jeff_&_Kelli

Seattle

View Profile

Posted: 10/21/19 03:28pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Engine is running great, lots of power, very responsive. Drive 500 miles then put on some miles with truck camper on. Only hitch is the coolant reservoir has a crack and needs replacing. Heading to auto store now.

bigfootford

Fair Oaks, California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/21/19 04:14pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Camper_Jeff_&_Kelli wrote:

Engine is running great, lots of power, very responsive. Drive 500 miles then put on some miles with truck camper on. Only hitch is the coolant reservoir has a crack and needs replacing. Heading to auto store now.

Great news! If that is all you have trouble with you owe yer, personal mechanic a bunch of whatever he likes, and your Bro!

I did 3 engine and installs etc on 2 of my VW's and my Samurai last year. They are a lot easier to remove and install. Rebuilding for the VW's can be a bit frustrating... hahahaa.

Good luck,

Jim

2000 2500 9.6 Bigfoot,94 F250, Vision 19.5, Mich 245/70XDS2's, Bilstein shocks, air bags/pump, EU2000, PD 9260,Lifeline 100ah, 200W. solar, Morningstar Sunsaver 15A/ display panel, Trimetric, Delorme/laptop, Holux gps rec,led lights, Wave-3 heat.

Camper_Jeff_&_Kelli

Seattle

View Profile

Posted: 10/22/19 11:27am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ENGINE STARTUP

Startup went fine. Engine runs great. Glad to have my horse back in action!

[image]

Bedlam

PNW

View Profile

Posted: 10/22/19 11:51am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would have offered to help:

https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=319660165412960

Chevy Sonic 1.8-Honda Passport C70B-Host Mammoth 11.5-Interstate Car Carrier 20-Joyner SandViper 250-Kawasaki Concours ZG1000-Paros 8' flatbed-Pelican Decker DLX 8.75-Ram 5500 HD-Tank Urban Touring 150SE-VW TransBuggy 1200

Camper_Jeff_&_Kelli

Seattle

View Profile

Posted: 10/22/19 12:27pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bedlam wrote:

I would have offered to help:

https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=319660165412960

That is funny Pete, and I could see you doing that, loving every second...

I'll tell you the story before long.

Camper_Jeff_&_Kelli

Seattle

View Profile

Posted: 10/22/19 12:32pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

bigfootford wrote:

Great news! If that is all you have trouble with you owe yer, personal mechanic a bunch of whatever he likes, and your Bro!

I did 3 engine and installs etc on 2 of my VW's and my Samurai last year. They are a lot easier to remove and install. Rebuilding for the VW's can be a bit frustrating... hahahaa.

Good luck,

Jim

I helped on a VW years ago. Everybody's always fixing them it seems. We've helped each other out many times over the years. I'll be helping him install a 454 in a 67 Camaro sometime in the next few months.

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 10/22/19 12:59pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jimh425 wrote:

Because you have to change the wire harness, sensors, computer, and other issues whereas this pops right in. The 40 overbore makes it about a 338 cubic inch engine now. It's a lot tighter as a new engine, should produce more power, better mileage... we'll see after some miles.

Interesting, so you bought a crate 40 over long block presuming?
What's it rated at compared to the stock 5.4? Any other performance components in the engine porting, cams etc?

"Yes Sir, Oct 10 1888, Those poor school children froze to death in their tracks. They did not even find them until Spring. Especially hard hit were the ones who had to trek uphill to school both ways, with no shoes." -Bert A.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Engine Series * Update 1 * Update 2 * Update 3 * STARTUP
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.