Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: BEST ROUTE WITH LEAST MOUNTAINS
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Roads and Routes

Open Roads Forum  >  Roads and Routes

> BEST ROUTE WITH LEAST MOUNTAINS

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
doxiemom11

Paris Michigan

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/20/19 02:06pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Check out Mountain Directory West for help on your route. Printed books can be ordered online, or I believe there is an application for mobile. It's very helpful when out west.

Bumpyroad

Virginia

View Profile

Posted: 10/20/19 02:28pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jamesu wrote:

deem12375icloud.com wrote:

Hello,my husband and I will be traveling with a fifth wheel from NC to west Yellowstone in august of next year.I am scared of heights and drop offs . I would appreciate some advise as to the route I can take to and from west Yellowstone with no drop-offs .Please advise

It’s pretty flat between NC and Montana. Once you reach the eastern edge of the Rockies it’s pretty tough to keep going west from that point without going through mountains. With your fear of heights maybe you should reconsider a trip to the western U.S.

as long as you go on I-90 and then drop down to yellowstone there is no real problem.
bumpy

pigman1

Delaware

View Profile

Posted: 10/20/19 02:33pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Old-Biscuit wrote:

pigman1 wrote:

My wife had the same issues so when we started running routes with drop-offs, she'd go back and sit at the dinette. Now she drives these routes with the 43' coach and full size pickup toad and doesn't turn a hair. Just a question of getting used to it, SLOWLY.

OP has a 5th wheel.

Sitting at the dinette table probably NOT going to resolve issue [emoticon]
OOPS!! Sorry about that, I completely missed that point.

BTW, tried to apologize as soon as Old-Biscuit posted my mistake and found the post closed, and no way to find out why or if it had been moved and where it had been moved to.

Pigman & Piglady
2013 Tiffin Allegro Bus 43' QGP
2011 Chevy Silverado 1500
SMI Air Force One toad brake
Street Atlas USA Plus

Lwiddis

Near Annett’s Mono Village, Bridgeport, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/20/19 04:10pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

“Old-Biscuit posted my mistake...”

He’s good at that! Got me a number of times. lol But I got Old Biscuit on NICKY/RICKY in “Long, Long Trailer.” NICKY, not Ricky, married TACY, not Lucy!

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, 300 watts solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL pole for flags. Prefer USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, USF&WS, state & county camps. Bicyclist! 14 year Army vet - 11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560)

vjstangelo

virginia

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/20/19 04:23pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Old-Biscuit wrote:

GO north to I-90 then GO WEST
I-90 to HWY 287 South (After Bosseman/Belgrade Montana)
Hwy 287 S.....dead ends at HWY 191...go south 10/12 miles to west yellowstone

Agree. Been this route many a time. This will also take one past Earthquake Lake and Hebgen Lake which is a fascinating story (and sad for those who died) itself and worth seeing.

Also could try I80 across WY to SLC, then north to Idaho Falls, then US 20 to West Yellowstone.

2012 Winnebago Vista 32K
2011 Honda CRV Toad

narcodog

Georgia

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/20/19 05:57pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

So back in the 50's my grandfather wanted to travel the west pulling a TT. He was also concerned about drop offs and no guard rails, which was common then. He took some hypnotism sessions, they worked. Unless you go up on the Bear Tooth you should have no problems at all.

Camper8251

Big Sky Country

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/20/19 06:40pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Take 90 West To Livingston MT, Head south on 89.. Follow to YNP....
Easy Button............

2008 Chevy Silverado 2500 DMAX
Outdoors RV 23DBS
2008 Arctic Fox 811 - SOLD
19.5 Vision Wheels with
Toyo M608z's 225/70R19.5 14 plys rated at 3970

Horsedoc

Dixie --- N. Georgia

View Profile

Posted: 10/21/19 09:00am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

90 to Buffalo and then hiway 16 you hit mountains as you cross the Big Horns to Cody. By then you will be an old hand at towing and have no problems coming into Yellowstone via Sylvan Pass.
Take your time and think about what you are doing. Mind your speed going down hill, because the chances are small you will go straight back up the other side (there will be a curve or two somewhere ahead.

* This post was edited 10/21/19 09:09am by Horsedoc *

Bumpyroad

Virginia

View Profile

Posted: 10/21/19 09:20am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Horsedoc wrote:

90 to Buffalo and then hiway 16 you hit mountains as you cross the Big Horns to Cody. By then you will be an old hand at towing and have no problems coming into Yellowstone via Sylvan Pass.
Take your time and think about what you are doing. Mind your speed going down hill, because the chances are small you will go straight back up the other side (there will be a curve or two somewhere ahead.

you obviously missed reading the OP, "Hello,my husband and I will be traveling with a fifth wheel from NC to west Yellowstone in august of next year.I am scared of heights and drop offs . I would appreciate some advise as to the route I can take to and from west Yellowstone with no drop-offs .Please advise"

bumpy

paulj

Seattle

View Profile

Posted: 10/21/19 04:37pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sounds like you are mainly worried about 'shelf-roads', climbing along a canyon, with a rock wall on one side, and drop off on the other. The east entrance, from Cody, is the main one to worry about (we won't touch the NE entrance).

Coming from the north, I90, pretty well stays in a broad valley, US191, so should be easiest.

Yellowstone is a mountain top, with a lake in the middle. So there's no way around altitude. But you can be selective about routes.

Go to Google Maps and turn on the 'terrain mode'. Then zoom in on the more mountainous parts of the proposed route. Where the road seems to run close to a river or canyon, zoom in further with `streetview`.

Or use the 3d sat view (or Google Earth) to scan the route.

Within the park you might want to avoid the ridge route over Mt Washburn. US89 around the north entrance might also have some scary drop offs (e.g. the loop the drops down from Mammoth Hot Springs).

Some spots that look bad on paper or the screen might not be any worse than a freeway overpass or on-ramp. Or a bridge over a major river.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Roads and Routes

> BEST ROUTE WITH LEAST MOUNTAINS
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Roads and Routes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.