Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Locast adds Atlanta and Phoenix

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
I received this email today from the non-profit OTA streaming service Locast:

"Today, we went live in Atlanta and Phoenix and we're excited to be serving Atlantans and Phoenicians local weather reports, emergency information, and professional and college football."

"Locast is now in 15 markets across the country, serving almost 40 million TV Households. Hundreds of thousands of those fans have enjoyed local news, weather and sports on Locast. Weโ€™re thrilled to offer Locast in two more markets."

www.locast.org
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate
10 REPLIES 10

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
chuckbear wrote:
"15" markets in a country as large as the U.S. is pretty puny. This service would really have to expand in a big way to make it very beneficial. It's called marketing speak. Chuck

Given that they started with just one market, NYC, I'd say they've made significant progress over the past two years. They estimate it costs on average about $250,000 to bring a new market online, and that takes a lot of $5/mo donations. Sometimes they get corporate donations that speed up adding a given market though. That happened with Rapid City and Sioux Falls, SD, two smaller markets that were well down on the priority list until the residents and businesses got together to move them up.
Dutch

Tom_M1
Explorer
Explorer
But it's 15 of the largest population markets and according their web site, 34% of the US market.
Tom
2005 Born Free 24RB
170ah Renogy LiFePo4 drop-in battery 400 watts solar
Towing 2016 Mini Cooper convertible on tow dolly
Minneapolis, MN

chuckbear
Explorer
Explorer
"15" markets in a country as large as the U.S. is pretty puny. This service would really have to expand in a big way to make it very beneficial. It's called marketing speak. Chuck

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
Basically Locast is an online streaming version of OTA translator services that receive an OTA signal on one channel and retransmit it on a different channel to reach fringe areas with poor tower LOS. Locast is a service of Sports Fans Coalition NY, a 501c3 non-profit organization that depends on donations to cover their operating costs.
Dutch

Tom_M1
Explorer
Explorer
My experience with Locast:
You can only watch a station if you are located near the city they are broadcasting from.
If you don't donate at least $5/month you can only watch for about 15 minutes at a time.

To get around the location issue, I installed an add-on called Location Guard.

Link to web site:
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/location-guard/

Quote from site:
"Hide your geographic location from websites. Report a fake location with the addition of random noise in order to protect your privacy. Per site settings with three configurable levels of accuracy or even the possibility to use a fixed location."

I will be heading for Arizona soon and there are some spots where I have no TV reception but do have internet. Another benefit is I will be able to watch Vikings football if they are playing in one of the Locast cities. Go Vikes!
Tom
2005 Born Free 24RB
170ah Renogy LiFePo4 drop-in battery 400 watts solar
Towing 2016 Mini Cooper convertible on tow dolly
Minneapolis, MN

hypoxia
Explorer
Explorer
Is the only point of this service to have local TV on a computer or when travelling? All I have to do is turn the TV on to get local TV, although rural folks don't always get a good signal.
Jim

2007 Monaco Signature Noble III ISX 600HP

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
Since I already have unlimited internet on a MiFi, the free service would indeed be free.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
K Charles wrote:
TV for free is not free if you need the internet to use it.

Yep, if the only reason you have Internet is to watch Locast's streams...
Dutch

K_Charles
Explorer
Explorer
TV for free is not free if you need the internet to use it.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
A possible option. TY
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad