Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: how do you keep sewer tank clear
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> how do you keep sewer tank clear

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next
Road Phantom

pa

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/18/19 07:02pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

What is the best way to keep the sewer tank from sludging up and valves working. I don't like using chemical additives, especially the ones with formaldehyde. Heard it was good to add a little olive oil or liquid detergent into the tank when empty.

philh

Belleville MI

View Profile

Posted: 10/18/19 07:06pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

never use it?

liquid laundry detergent and liquid water softner

Formaldehyde? Never heard of anybody using that. I've been using happy camper lately, and it seems to work pretty good.

IB853347201

Eastern Ontario

View Profile

Posted: 10/18/19 07:14pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We use the thetford tank treatment. Always have, always will.
In our 25 years of TT and MH RVing have never had a tank "sludge" up or any valve problems.
I prefer to follow what the manufacturers recommend rather than 3rd party home remedies.

K Charles

Connecticut

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/18/19 07:23pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We never use anything and never had a problem.

Oasisbob

Portland Oregon 97266

View Profile

Posted: 10/18/19 07:49pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Chemicals are NOT needed. I installed a sprinkler like device that rinses the inside of the tank when hooked up to a hose usually found at dump stations. This keeps my guages fairly honest and I have no odors. I think any RV parts place will know what you need.

Oasis Bob
Wonderful wife & 4 Really Fun kids
2008 KIA Sedona 3.8L 24 valve V-6
2001 Bantam Trail Lite B-19

HAPPY TRAILS">

Lwiddis

Los Angeles area :(

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/18/19 08:50pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Add water to almost fill the tank before dumping. Refill with fresh water, drive for a while and dump again occasionally. It’ll be “clean.”

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, 300 watts solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL pole for flags. Prefer USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, USF&WS, state & county camps. Bicyclist! 14 year Army vet - 11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560)

CavemanCharlie

Storden,MN

View Profile

Posted: 10/18/19 09:38pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I just use plenty of water and then I dump a couple of gallons of water down the toilet after pulling the valve at the dump station.

Then I add a couple of gallons of water to the tank after dumping to keep the seal on the dump valve working.

I don't try to keep it perfectly CLEAR. I just don't want any build up. Using enough water to dump it properly makes that happen.

Oh And, I use a toilet paper that dissolves good. It doesn't have to be the special stuff. Just grab a couple of squares of the TP of your choice, put it in a glass of water and swirl it around. If it starts to break up after a short period of time then that's good stuff to use.

doxiemom11

Somewhere between MI and TX

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/18/19 09:58pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We also use nothing but water, use any septic safe toilet paper and only dump when the tank is near or full. 9 years full-time and no problems at all. I think many people who run into problems skimp on water thinking they will fill the tank too fast and have to dump too often.

B.O. Plenty

Minnesota

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/18/19 11:41pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Just water. Flush it good when I dump and add some to it when it's empty. Never any chemicals they are bad for the environment plus they stink. I have no problems with any smells from my tanks.
B.O.

Former Ram/Cummins owner
2015 Silverado 3500 D/A DRW
Yup I'm a fanboy!
2016 Cedar Creek 36CKTS

garyemunson

Reno, Nevada

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/19/19 04:59am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

No chemical, any toilet paper. Never dump before at least 1/2 full. Best to wait to dump until you arrive at the next campground. Driving will slosh the contents around, break stuff up, and help the dump process. More water in the tank is better. After a "#2 deposit", do a second "flush" after filling the bowl with water. Will help break up what's lying under the drop tube. Plenty of water is your friend. The system should be sealed and there should never be significant smells. If your toilet bowl will not hold water, it needs it's seal replaced or you will get smells. Most of the time odors are caused by a bad vent valve under a sink letting grey water stench into the RV. I don't think anything will extend the life of valves. They all quit around the 8-10 year mark. Valves are cheap and most are easy to change. Feel sorry for those with valves way back under the RV that require cutting holes in the bottom cover to get to them!

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> how do you keep sewer tank clear
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS