Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Tech Issues: No heat
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> No heat

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
marc71

South East VA

View Profile

Posted: 10/19/19 04:51am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Camping this weekend and it’s a bit chilly... went to turn the heat on and nothing! The fan kicks on for a minute or two and then shuts off. All the other gas fixtures are working properly. I crack the line open at the heater and there’s gas going to it. We just purchased the camper before Labor Day, it’s a 2014 Jayco Jayflight 32 BHDS. I’m not sure of the heater manufacture but the exhaust on the outside is a single round vent.

Any suggestions?

2010 Toyota Tundra SR5 TRD double cab 4x4
2015 Jayco Jayflight 32 BHDS
Prodigy Brake Control
Eaz-Lift WD - Eaz-Lift sway control

larry cad

ohio

View Profile

Posted: 10/19/19 05:16am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Typically RV furnaces don't like to not be used for a long time. Too many things can happen.
1. The green ground wire that is screwed to the furnace metal gets loose or corroded. Loosen and tighten it.
2. Mud daubers build nests inside the furnace. This either clogs the blower air path, or worse builds up on the sail switch. Maybe blow some compressed air through the outlet to clear it out and hope that helps.
3. There is a control circuit board with a connector on it. Sometimes the connections on that board get corroded. Pull the connector off and on several times and see if that solves the problem.
4. Probably not the case, but also possible the gas valve is stuck.
5. The heat sensor rod may not be clean and is not sending an igniter signal to the gas valve.

I'm sure others will have additional ideas.

* This post was edited 10/19/19 05:30am by larry cad *

Today is my personal best for most consecutive days alive.

Our Travel Blog

garyemunson

Reno, Nevada

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/19/19 06:21am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There is a "sail switch" that looks for airflow through the unit. If it is stuck (or bad), it will not allow the gas to turn on.

edbehnke

North America (from Michigan)

View Profile

Posted: 10/19/19 07:10am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-g3_Y7MqChE

eddie and sandie
3402 Montana 2013
Ford F350 2015

Dusty R

Charlotte Michigan 48813

View Profile

Posted: 10/19/19 07:12am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

garyemunson wrote:

There is a "sail switch" that looks for airflow through the unit. If it is stuck (or bad), it will not allow the gas to turn on.

Or if something is blocking the air flow, the Sail Switch is doing it's job.

Dusty

Dick_B

Palos Heights, IL USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/19/19 07:16am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

At our age (81) we would call the nearest available mobile RV tech. About a year ago we had to replace the gas valve in our furnace.

* This post was edited 10/19/19 07:34am by Dick_B *

Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

drsteve

Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 10/19/19 07:57am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The fan comes on first, if it's moving enough air then you should hear the igniter clicking. Is it trying to light?

2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

naturist

Lynchburg, VA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/19/19 08:39am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Stink bugs. Probably dead now. Flippin' things get in everywhere, and one crawling into the burner tube of your furnace, water heater, grill, or other propane appliance will screw up the burn and result in just this problem. On the one hand, pulling the burner assembly out and blowing the bug(s) out is a cheap fix. On the other hand, it's a pain in the neck for sure. So before you fuss about the other issues above, look for stink bugs in the burner.

2oldman

Ca

View Profile

Posted: 10/19/19 09:30am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sounds like no propane.

dougrainer

Carrolton, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 10/19/19 09:40am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The bad news is, you have to pull the complete furnace to troubleshoot and fix on your model furnace. The other bad news is, when you pull the furnace, odds are the jostling will reset the hi limit switch IF IT WAS the cause of no ignition. Sooo, When I have this type problem with a no access furnace, I take a rubber mallet and sharply pound on the inside burner casing area. Then try to restart the furnace. IF it then lights and stays lit, I pull the furnace and replace the Hi limit switch as it is sticking OPEN. Regardless, with a non accessable furnace when I pull for repair, I ALWAYS replace the Hi limit regardless of any other bad part is the problem. The Hi limit is not that expensive and cheap insurance to prevent a future problem caused by a intermittent hi limit switch. Doug

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> No heat
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS