Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Winter RV'ing in Northern NWT/Yukon
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RVing in Canada and Alaska

Open Roads Forum  >  RVing in Canada and Alaska  >  Canada

> Winter RV'ing in Northern NWT/Yukon

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
peter-hs

USA

View Profile

Posted: 10/19/19 04:01pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I am looking for ways to power an RV for several weeks/months during the winter in the northern half of the Northwest Territories or Yukon. Assuming the RV is parked most of this period, most of the power will be needed for heating, LED lights, and infrequent bathing. Note the RV will have only one person.

Does anyone know of any places on or off-road that provide a hookup during the November-March period?

If none are available, are there any alternative sources of power that could be used?

Given the number of hours of darkness, solar power might be of little use, so the only other options I know of are either wind energy or very large fuel tanks.

I've read wind turbines, such as the Airdolphin Wind Turbine Mark Zero 24V, might work, though I don't know how well, how durable they are, etc.

I haven't encountered any information about very large auxiliary fuel tanks or fuel trailers, though I thought this could be an option, at least in theory.

MDKMDK

Canada

View Profile

Posted: 10/19/19 04:21pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Try contacting tourism NWT and Yukon and see if they can help you.
They have websites and probably toll free numbers to speak with people who could advise you about the feasibility of such a project. If there are year round sources of fuel, or year round camping, they should be able to tell you more about them.

Mike.
2018 (2017 Sprinter Cab Chassis) Navion24V + 2016 JKU (sold @ ????)
2016 Sunstar 26HE, V10, 3V, 6 Speed (sold @ 4600 miles)
2002 Roadtrek C190P (sold @ 315,000kms)

Lwiddis

Los Angeles area :(

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/19/19 04:41pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Even during a short day solar can provide a noticeable amount of amps per 100 watt panel...10-15 if positioned well with a clear sky. No fuel to replace, no noise. Don’t blow it off.

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, 300 watts solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL pole for flags. Prefer USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, USF&WS, state & county camps. Bicyclist! 14 year Army vet - 11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560)

DownTheAvenue

Sunny South

View Profile

Posted: 10/19/19 08:56pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You can't be serious trying to over winter in the Yukon or Northwest Territories in a RV. Keeping warm, keeping pipes from freezing, and keeping the absorption refrigerator operating will be a challenge for even the most experienced. One snafu could be life threatening.

You asked how to power. Only two ways from the grid or a full time generator with am limitless fuel source. Power consumption will be excessive!

pianotuna

Regina, SK, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 10/20/19 12:22am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi,

What communities do you expect to be in?

What you wish to do is possible--but much easier if there is a reliable source of electricity. There is a thread on winter camping in the full time forum.

Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp hours of AGM in two battery banks 12 volt batteries, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

js218

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 10/20/19 04:54am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

2 years ago spent 2 weeks north of Edmomnton in January, temps -15 to 15 degree's. Rig is diesel and electric used alot of fuel but remained comfortable. Had my rig built specifically for winter camping, heated insulated tanks and all piping is heat traced an insulated, 6" insulation in the floors and ceiling 3" in the walls.

2017 Haulmark 45' Super C 600hp, 12 speed I shift transmission, tandem drive axles, 3 stage engine brake, towing 26' trailer with an 08 explorer inside.
Jim

garyhaupt

Penticton, BC..land of wine, sun, retirees....

View Profile

Posted: 10/20/19 10:33am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

js218 wrote:

2 years ago spent 2 weeks north of Edmomnton in January, temps -15 to 15 degree's. Rig is diesel and electric used alot of fuel but remained comfortable. Had my rig built specifically for winter camping, heated insulated tanks and all piping is heat traced an insulated, 6" insulation in the floors and ceiling 3" in the walls.

Where did you have your RV built? I am thinking of upgrading mine. I have a Triple E Regal with the winter package..all well and good, but am considering upping the R value in the entire unit.

Gary Haupt

I have a Blog..about stuff, some of which is RV'ing.

http://mrgwh.blogspot.ca/

js218

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 10/20/19 10:49am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

^^^ Custom ordered from Haulmark built to my specifications, 6 month build time.
I'm a retired process engineer so I can get pretty anal but the Haulmark folks were up to the challenge and great group of people to work with. Showhauler also does custom builds.

noteven

Turtle Island

View Profile

Posted: 10/20/19 12:06pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

* This post was last edited 10/20/19 08:35pm by noteven *   View edit history

peter-hs

USA

View Profile

Posted: 10/20/19 07:53pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

MDKMDK wrote:

Try contacting tourism NWT and Yukon and see if they can help you.
They have websites and probably toll free numbers to speak with people who could advise you about the feasibility of such a project. If there are year round sources of fuel, or year round camping, they should be able to tell you more about them.

MDKMDK - Thank you for this suggestion. So far, I've looked at the tourism sites for both provinces to see if any of the parks/RV sites are open during the winter and provide hookups. Unfortunately, the information on the sites indicates all parks are closed during this period. But, I'll take your suggestion and contact the tourism offices for both provinces to get information, such as feasibility, from them directly.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  RVing in Canada and Alaska  >  Canada

> Winter RV'ing in Northern NWT/Yukon
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RVing in Canada and Alaska

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS