cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Lake Superior Circle Tour

hokeypokey
Explorer
Explorer
Talking about doing Lake Superior Circle Tour in 2020 starting at Duluth. Any tips, advice, suggestions?
11 REPLIES 11

craig7h
Nomad
Nomad
We did the northern part this past year. Started out staying 5 nights at Two Harbors city park. This is a great place, they have made the new section so MH can drive in and look over the water. Much to see and do all along the the North west shoreline.

From there we went to Thunder Bay and stayed at Fort William provincial park. I was not over taken by this park, it just seemed that they did not finish building it. We stayed 4 nights and saw a lot of things. The park itself is filled with history along with the area. You have to make it a must to visit Kakabeka Falls park while there, its great.

From there we went to Wawa and stayed 2 nights a the GS park.The campground was nice but very tight both in width and length. I had no Verizon signal. Between Wawa and Sault Ste. Marie there is no gas stations so make sure you fill up at Wawa.

To me this is one of those things that I can say I have done. I thought I would be traveling and seeing the water most of the way. This does not happen, at least it you stay on 17. We did not turn off and venture elsewhere while moving from one spot to another. I will say its more hilly than I thought.

No problem with boarder crossings either way.
Itasca Meridian SE 36g
Road Master Tow Dolly

BarabooBob
Explorer III
Explorer III
Black fly season in Ontario runs from about late May through early July. If 4 of them bite you at the same time, you may need a transfusion. If you have a small dog, keep it on a leash so that the black flies don't carry it away.
Bob & Dawn Married 34 years
2017 Viking 17RD
2011 Ford F150 3.5L Ecoboost 420 lb/ft
Retired

dalenoel
Explorer II
Explorer II
We did the loop in 2008 with travel time of 17 days in August, no bugs. Only had one day of rain but saw 54 waterfalls. Looped from the Soo clockwize around the lake. If you PM me I can send the spreadsheet of sites we saw and stayed at. Great trip.
03 Monaco Neptune 36PBD DP - 18 Focus Toad
Wife, myself, and Oreo the Malshi

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
Good idea. We made a trip to Duluth on the way to the Boundary Waters. A great place to wander.

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
been there about thirty years back, the black flies are nasty. so much we left.

down_home
Explorer
Explorer
The Canoe Boundary Waters are in Ontario is a great spot to stop and fish or do nothing. However in 2003-5 we stopped there and the Lady Ranger assured us they had big RVs stay there. We could not get into a spot and liked to have not been able to exit the loop it was so tight. Plenty of marks on trees from others also
Surely it has changed but if someone else can comment on current condition of the park it might help you.
At the time we were pulling a 32 ft Fifth Wheel behind a dualie.

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
For more information search this Forum for `circle tour' and `Lake Superior'. When we made the north side tour we rarely (read never) saw the water!
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

edbehnke
Explorer
Explorer
go to isle royale (https://www.nps.gov/isro/planyourvisit/directions.htm)if you can.

here is what you need:
https://superiorcircletour.com/
eddie and sandie
3402 Montana 2013
Ford F350 2015

Moved from ATC

hokeypokey
Explorer
Explorer
Moderator wrote:
By RV or by car?

RV - about May 2020