Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Around the Campfire: Neighborhood bear-UPDATE AT END
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Around the Campfire

Open Roads Forum  >  Around the Campfire  >  General Topics

> Neighborhood bear-UPDATE AT END

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev
Lynnmor

Red Lion

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/08/19 07:33am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Pennsylvania is named for William Penns woods, the entire state was bear habitat.

Folks in a populated area freaked out about a bear so it was captured and relocated. Now the folks are happy, a hunter is happy, the bear not so much.

Bear Killed

Crowe

Merrimack, NH

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/23/19 08:05pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We will be staying at a lodge on Lake Clark (AK) next year. While investigating the area on line, I came across this information (scroll down as it's partway down the page): https://www.nps.gov/lacl/planyourvisit/bear-safety.htm

It contains excellent information about how to handle bear encounters based on behavior and bear type. Makes for some interesting and informative reading.

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be Douglas Adams

RV-less for now but our spirits are still on the open road.

naturist

Lynchburg, VA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/24/19 07:02am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It is important to note that the article referenced is about bears in Alaska, and besides being the largest state in the us, Alaska has a much wider diversity of bears than, for example, here on the East Coast. In Alaska, there are polar bears, grizzly bears, brown bears, black bears, and each of these is fairly distinct from the others. I am told that here in Virginia, we only have one type of bear, but that species can be either black or brown. And their behavior is not a function of their color, any more than it is for humans.

I would caution folks to take your bear defensive tactics from experts on bears in the area where you are going to be (possibly) encountering them.

* This post was edited 12/24/19 07:17am by an administrator/moderator *

Dutch_12078

Winters south, summers north

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/24/19 10:33am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Note that the common "black bear" can be black, brown, or even blonde colored. Blacks of any color typically avoid confrontations when possible, and are generally the least aggressive to humans of the various bear species. They still command serious respect though...

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

down home

south

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/24/19 11:07am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Dutch_12078 wrote:

Note that the common "black bear" can be black, brown, or even blonde colored. Blacks of any color typically avoid confrontations when possible, and are generally the least aggressive to humans of the various bear species. They still command serious respect though...

One my son saw, fur or five years ago along the RxR tracks was light brown.
I am sure it was poached by now. 1975 or6 A baby bear was spotted up a tree next to a road less than mile from here. Where's baby there is Mama. Nothing heard after the photos. Some dimwit shot them, I am sure and bragged to his friends about it. Bears were protected then.

Mountain Jack

Shangri-La,Mountain in SW OR, above the Gold Creek

View Profile

Posted: 12/25/19 05:04pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Dutch_12078 wrote:

Last year, i saw a cinnamon color Black Bear here in the mountains of southwest Oregon.

Crowe

Merrimack, NH

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/25/19 06:01pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It's not uncommon for mama bears to send their cubs up a tree for an extended length of time. If you check for a day or two and mama hasn't come back then it might be time to call your local Fish and Game office.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Around the Campfire  >  General Topics

> Neighborhood bear-UPDATE AT END
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Around the Campfire

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.