cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

transmission cooler

olfarmer
Explorer
Explorer
My 2001 workhorse chassis has a factory transmission cooler. I would like to put a larger one on because, while it runs very cool on level ground, even towing my Jeep, if I get in mountains it seems to get pretty hot, even not towing. My question is, it has nice metal screw on connections and I don't really want to cut the rubber lines and clamp them on to an after market cooler. Is there a way to buy a cooler with the same connections as the original cooler, or is that just wishful thinking?
Ed & Ruby & the 2 cats
2001 Winnebago Brave 30W
7.4 gas Work Horse Chassis
99 Jeep Grand Cherokee
5 REPLIES 5

atsrmf
Explorer
Explorer
Google Derale 13960. I installed one of these in my Class A, it works perfectly. The thermostat is set at 180, so over cooling isn't an issue. I placed it in series with the factory radiator cooler just before the return to the transmission (after the radiator). Installation is easy, you need to run a 12 volt feed, the thermostat grounds the circuit.

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer
Also, you need to be able to not "OVER-COOL" in cooler temperatures.

Though the mechanics is a bit different, I installed a fuel cooler on the return line on my DP. Like ATF, there IS such as thing as fluid being too cool.

So, made a cover for the cooler that velcro's in place for winter driving.
Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'FDDS
Ex: 1997 Safari 35'
Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/

Chum_lee
Explorer
Explorer
Any good hydraulic hose shop can help you. Ideally, for flexible plumbing, IMO, you should use swaged fittings on the cooler if you want a reliable connection. If it's hard connected, then flare nuts are the way to go.

When you say the ATF is hot, . . . . how hot? It's normal for the ATF to heat up (quite a bit) under load. The engineers that initially sized the ATF cooler designed the system to keep the ATF within acceptable limits at maximum towing capacity and extreme temperatures. Generally, they don't guess, especially on truck chassis. Are you having a specific problem, or are you thinking that you might? The numbers tell the truth.

Chum lee

MountainAir05
Explorer II
Explorer II
https://www.carid.com/images/bm/cooling-systems/pdf/coolers-user-guide.pdf

I have a B&M cooler that has fitting but will it connect to your fitting. Only you can decide.

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
You should be able to find an adapter to go from screw type fittings to barb.
Have you cleaned the debris out between AC condensor and the radiator? You can normally loosen the AC condensor and then blow out the debris with a comprassor.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker