cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

RV snowbirding or MX or Carribean

grapestumper
Explorer
Explorer
DW and I recently retired and we are debating wether the RV snowbird lifestyle in the southern states is the way to go or rent or buy a condo apartment in MX or some affordable carribean countries. Beside the obvious attraction to water, beaches, and warmer weather this is somewhat offset by language issues, poverty (increased criminality?), culture, food, etc. We have previously experienced a short two month stint RViing south and spent some holiday time in MX and a Carribean country, however, we are torn. Ideally three winters spent experiencing each one would be great, but unfortunately we do not feel that we have the luxury of time on our side and would not want to waste it.

Are there members out there who have experienced the same dilemma and what were the compelling reasons to choose the RV snowbirding. Would you make the same choice again given the opportunity?

Thx
2004 GMC Duramax 2500HD CC 4X4 SWB
2007 Thor/Dutchmen Colorado RK 28
21 REPLIES 21

joebedford
Nomad II
Nomad II
We went to NZ in early 2017 because . . . We loved it, but it's too far.

GeeWillakers
Explorer
Explorer
Weโ€™re passing this year and trying Portugal al and Spain.
2007 Triple-E Commander A3202FB W22 8.1 6spd Banks Power
2014 Jeep Wrangler JK toad, a Bug and a Frenchie

MDKMDK
Explorer
Explorer
When responses get overly obtuse, methinks it's time to move on. :C
Mike. Comments are anecdotal or personal opinions, and worth what you paid for them.
2018 (2017 Sprinter Cab Chassis) Navion24V + 2016 Wrangler JKU (sold @ ????)
2016 Sunstar 26HE, V10, 3V, 6 Speed (sold @ 4600 miles)
2002 Roadtrek C190P (sold @ 315,000kms)

tomman58
Explorer
Explorer
MDKMDK wrote:
joebedford wrote:
tomman58 wrote:
joebedford wrote:
tomman58 wrote:
Bottom line go see your country first!
I've seen it and it's too cold in the winter. Hence appeal of MX.

There are 100's of thousands that would disagree.
Personally we stay in central Fl where the temps on occasion go into the 40's at night but still hit 80's also. We leave Michigan and the snow we are not into the endless summer as we don't care for the high 80's anytime.

I suspect that few and certainly not 100's of thousands of others would disagree with me that Canada is too cold for RVing in the winter!

Those who complain about "global warming", have clearly never spent a summer any where in Canada. Our winters make some places in Alaska blush.

Someone not learned in global stuff might think that.
2015 GMC D/A, CC 4x4/ Z71 ,3.73,IBC SLT+
2018 Jayco 338RETS
2 Trek bikes
Honda EU2000i
It must be time to go, the suns out and I've got a full tank of diesel!
We have a granite fireplace hearth! Love to be a little different.

MDKMDK
Explorer
Explorer
Diver4242 wrote:
MDKMDK wrote:
Those who complain about "global warming", have clearly never spent a summer any where in Canada. Our winters make some places in Alaska blush.

The concern is primarily the distinct rise in sea-water temperatures, which is melting the polar ice caps, flooding our coastal cities, and causing fuel for extreme storms, not air temps.

Yes, there's still very cold weather in northern places. But as a trend, we're seeing record highs, warmest summers ever, etc around the world.

"since recording began" might be an appropriate caveat on that comment. Since we started as a molten ball of space debris, there have been at least 5 ice ages, depending on who you ask and what your point of view might be, and who you choose to believe.
To be fair you have to consider all sides of the issue.
https://geology.utah.gov/map-pub/survey-notes/glad-you-asked/ice-ages-what-are-they-and-what-causes-...

That said, my comment was made (mostly) tongue in cheek.
The question surrounding climate change isn't that it occurs, but why it occurs. Keeping in mind of course, that it has been constantly changing for about 4 billion years, give or take, according to estimates of the age of this piece of space debris. Long before there was any life on the planet, and long before that "life" began taking any notice.
Mike. Comments are anecdotal or personal opinions, and worth what you paid for them.

almcc
Explorer
Explorer
We spent 4 winters in our RV on the Pacific coast of Mexico south of Mazatlan, we loved it and the locals but it got violent in 2010 with the druggies (shootings and toll road blockages etc.), a fellow Canadian was shot in an RV park in Maz.

The other "show stopper" for us was that our out of country health insurance would not cover any injuries that were related to the violence, this was because of the travel warnings issued by the Canadian government for Mexico.

I would suggest that you check the travel warnings issued for places you are thinking about and then check your coverage restrictions from your insurance carrier.

Diver4242
Explorer
Explorer
MDKMDK wrote:

The concern is primarily the distinct rise in sea-water temperatures, which is melting the polar ice caps, flooding our coastal cities, and causing fuel for extreme storms, not air temps.

Yes, there's still very cold weather in northern places. But as a trend, we're seeing record highs, warmest summers ever, etc around the world.

MDKMDK
Explorer
Explorer
joebedford wrote:
tomman58 wrote:
joebedford wrote:
tomman58 wrote:

Personally we stay in central Fl where the temps on occasion go into the 40's at night but still hit 80's also. We leave Michigan and the snow we are not into the endless summer as we don't care for the high 80's anytime.

I suspect that few and certainly not 100's of thousands of others would disagree with me that Canada is too cold for RVing in the winter!

joebedford
Nomad II
Nomad II
tomman58 wrote:
joebedford wrote:
tomman58 wrote:

qtla9111
Nomad
Nomad
I've lived in Mexico for most of my life. We enjoy boondocking just about everywhere we go. We like travel in West Texas and have toured Canada and spent some winter time in Florida too. For us, too many rules in the U.S. Mexico could be just the opposite, not enough rules or the same rules but not always followed.

We still like Mexico and leave next week for a two-month trip in the central part of the country.

It's hard to say. Things have changed so much over the years. I don't make recommendations anymore. Do your homework, follow your instinct and enjoy the winter.
2005 Dodge Durango Hemi
2008 Funfinder 230DS
Living and Boondocking Mexico Blog

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
grapestumper wrote:
DW and I recently retired and we are debating wether the RV snowbird lifestyle in the southern states is the way to go or rent or buy a condo apartment in MX or some affordable carribean countries. Beside the obvious attraction to water, beaches, and warmer weather this is somewhat offset by language issues, poverty (increased criminality?), culture, food, etc. We have previously experienced a short two month stint RViing south and spent some holiday time in MX and a Carribean country, however, we are torn. Ideally three winters spent experiencing each one would be great, but unfortunately we do not feel that we have the luxury of time on our side and would not want to waste it.

Are there members out there who have experienced the same dilemma and what were the compelling reasons to choose the RV snowbirding. Would you make the same choice again given the opportunity?

Thx

We are on our 12th Snowbird winter. If you choose a nice RV Resort with lots of activities you will live longer, as you will stay active.

In those twelve years I have done things like build a house with Habitat for Humanity the first winter. Serve as a wood shop monitor one morning a week. Played pickle ball and now bumpy ball. Race RC trucks on the parks race track and fly model airplanes. Ride our bikes a lot. Go to dances. Go to plays at Hale Theater in Gilbert. On and on!

We started out for the first 7-8 years with a 29' 5th Wheel, then a 39' 5th wheel(now are sunbird home in the NW) and now a park model with Arizona room.

If one is bored in one of these Southern Snowbird resorts, it is their own fault!

Chris
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

tomman58
Explorer
Explorer
joebedford wrote:
tomman58 wrote:

2015 GMC D/A, CC 4x4/ Z71 ,3.73,IBC SLT+
2018 Jayco 338RETS
2 Trek bikes
Honda EU2000i
It must be time to go, the suns out and I've got a full tank of diesel!
We have a granite fireplace hearth! Love to be a little different.

joebedford
Nomad II
Nomad II
tomman58 wrote:

pawatt
Explorer
Explorer
fchammer1 wrote:
Wherever you eventually land, you will want good neighbors, those like former RVers who are used to looking out for each other and their property. Next, will be the appeal of the area such as; 5 miles from the Gulf of Mexico, rivers to navigate, golf, nearby medical and dental, fine restaurants, beautiful sunrises and sunsets, and over 80 activities, and dozens of events. Two rec halls, horseshoes (at least one resident champion!), all the senior sports and then some. A great pool, Tiki hut for picnic. the Imperial River as a border. Check it out at www.imperialbonitaestates.com

What is the lot size of the regular lots? Are there Park models?
pawatt