Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Snowbirds: RV snowbirding or MX or Carribean
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Snowbirds

Open Roads Forum  >  Snowbirds

> RV snowbirding or MX or Carribean

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
tomman58

Southeast Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 10/22/19 07:39am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

joebedford wrote:

tomman58 wrote:

Bottom line go see your country first!
I've seen it and it's too cold in the winter. Hence appeal of MX.

There are 100's of thousands that would disagree.
Personally we stay in central Fl where the temps on occasion go into the 40's at night but still hit 80's also. We leave Michigan and the snow we are not into the endless summer as we don't care for the high 80's anytime.

2015 GMC D/A, CC 4x4/ Z71 ,3.73,IBC SLT+
2018 Jayco 338RETS
2 Trek bikes
Honda EU2000i
It must be time to go, the suns out and I've got a full tank of diesel!
We have a granite fireplace hearth! Love to be a little different.

Me Again

Sunbird(Wa)/snowbird(Az)

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/22/19 08:35am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

grapestumper wrote:

DW and I recently retired and we are debating wether the RV snowbird lifestyle in the southern states is the way to go or rent or buy a condo apartment in MX or some affordable carribean countries. Beside the obvious attraction to water, beaches, and warmer weather this is somewhat offset by language issues, poverty (increased criminality?), culture, food, etc. We have previously experienced a short two month stint RViing south and spent some holiday time in MX and a Carribean country, however, we are torn. Ideally three winters spent experiencing each one would be great, but unfortunately we do not feel that we have the luxury of time on our side and would not want to waste it.

Are there members out there who have experienced the same dilemma and what were the compelling reasons to choose the RV snowbirding. Would you make the same choice again given the opportunity?

Thx

We are on our 12th Snowbird winter. If you choose a nice RV Resort with lots of activities you will live longer, as you will stay active.

In those twelve years I have done things like build a house with Habitat for Humanity the first winter. Serve as a wood shop monitor one morning a week. Played pickle ball and now bumpy ball. Race RC trucks on the parks race track and fly model airplanes. Ride our bikes a lot. Go to dances. Go to plays at Hale Theater in Gilbert. On and on!

We started out for the first 7-8 years with a 29' 5th Wheel, then a 39' 5th wheel(now are sunbird home in the NW) and now a park model with Arizona room.

If one is bored in one of these Southern Snowbird resorts, it is their own fault!

Chris

* This post was edited 10/22/19 11:36am by Me Again *

2015 RAM 3500 CC SB SRW Our Rig New 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Commuter trailer 2019 Laredo 225MK. Retired and enjoying it!

qtla9111

Monterrey, Mexico

View Profile

Posted: 10/24/19 06:59pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I've lived in Mexico for most of my life. We enjoy boondocking just about everywhere we go. We like travel in West Texas and have toured Canada and spent some winter time in Florida too. For us, too many rules in the U.S. Mexico could be just the opposite, not enough rules or the same rules but not always followed.

We still like Mexico and leave next week for a two-month trip in the central part of the country.

It's hard to say. Things have changed so much over the years. I don't make recommendations anymore. Do your homework, follow your instinct and enjoy the winter.

2005 Dodge Durango Hemi
2008 Funfinder 230DS
Living and Boondocking Mexico Blog

joebedford

Finally back home in the north

View Profile

Posted: 10/24/19 07:34pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

tomman58 wrote:

joebedford wrote:

tomman58 wrote:

Personally we stay in central Fl where the temps on occasion go into the 40's at night but still hit 80's also. We leave Michigan and the snow we are not into the endless summer as we don't care for the high 80's anytime.

I suspect that few and certainly not 100's of thousands of others would disagree with me that Canada is too cold for RVing in the winter!

MDKMDK

Canada

View Profile

Posted: 10/24/19 09:06pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

joebedford wrote:

tomman58 wrote:

joebedford wrote:

tomman58 wrote:

I suspect that few and certainly not 100's of thousands of others would disagree with me that Canada is too cold for RVing in the winter!

Those who complain about "global warming", have clearly never spent a summer any where in Canada. Our winters make some places in Alaska blush.

Mike.
2018 (2017 Sprinter Cab Chassis) Navion24V + 2016 JKU (sold @ ????)
2016 Sunstar 26HE, V10, 3V, 6 Speed (sold @ 4600 miles)
2002 Roadtrek C190P (sold @ 315,000kms)

Diver4242

Lebanon

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/25/19 03:28am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

MDKMDK wrote:

Those who complain about "global warming", have clearly never spent a summer any where in Canada. Our winters make some places in Alaska blush.

The concern is primarily the distinct rise in sea-water temperatures, which is melting the polar ice caps, flooding our coastal cities, and causing fuel for extreme storms, not air temps.

Yes, there's still very cold weather in northern places. But as a trend, we're seeing record highs, warmest summers ever, etc around the world.

almcc

Ontario, Canada

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/25/19 06:21am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We spent 4 winters in our RV on the Pacific coast of Mexico south of Mazatlan, we loved it and the locals but it got violent in 2010 with the druggies (shootings and toll road blockages etc.), a fellow Canadian was shot in an RV park in Maz.

The other "show stopper" for us was that our out of country health insurance would not cover any injuries that were related to the violence, this was because of the travel warnings issued by the Canadian government for Mexico.

I would suggest that you check the travel warnings issued for places you are thinking about and then check your coverage restrictions from your insurance carrier.

MDKMDK

Canada

View Profile

Posted: 10/25/19 06:25am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Diver4242 wrote:

MDKMDK wrote:

The concern is primarily the distinct rise in sea-water temperatures, which is melting the polar ice caps, flooding our coastal cities, and causing fuel for extreme storms, not air temps.

Yes, there's still very cold weather in northern places. But as a trend, we're seeing record highs, warmest summers ever, etc around the world.

"since recording began" might be an appropriate caveat on that comment. Since we started as a molten ball of space debris, there have been at least 5 ice ages, depending on who you ask and what your point of view might be, and who you choose to believe.
To be fair you have to consider all sides of the issue.
https://geology.utah.gov/map-pub/survey-........ages-what-are-they-and-what-causes-them/

That said, my comment was made (mostly) tongue in cheek.
The question surrounding climate change isn't that it occurs, but why it occurs. Keeping in mind of course, that it has been constantly changing for about 4 billion years, give or take, according to estimates of the age of this piece of space debris. Long before there was any life on the planet, and long before that "life" began taking any notice.

tomman58

Southeast Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 10/25/19 07:43am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

MDKMDK wrote:

joebedford wrote:

tomman58 wrote:

joebedford wrote:

tomman58 wrote:

Someone not learned in global stuff might think that.

MDKMDK

Canada

View Profile

Posted: 10/25/19 11:04am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When responses get overly obtuse, methinks it's time to move on. [emoticon]

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Snowbirds

> RV snowbirding or MX or Carribean
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Snowbirds

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.