cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Grand Canyon (South Rim) to Sedona in 2020

ReallyBigMax
Explorer
Explorer
We're planning to take our signature rig and head South out of western Washington state in late January, as soon as we can clear the mountains heading, initially, for Central and then Southern California, and then on to the Grand Canyon South Rim. Yes, we'll watch the weather, which will determine how quickly we exit California where we'll be visiting friends and family all the way down to Santa Barbara. We'll head pretty directly from there to the Grand Canyon when it looks safe to do so. From the the Grand Canyon we want to head down to Sedona for a week or so. Assuming the weather cooperates, what is the best route to take for this Grand Canyon to Sedona part of the trip?

It looks like all routes lead East to Flagstaff and then South on the I-17. Just South of Flagstaff it looks like we could head directly South into Sedona on AZ-89A, but there is a pretty "interesting" section on the map that looks like it could be pretty steep grades, along with some "interesting" turns as well.

Then there is the end-around route, staying on I-17 almost all the way to Rimrock, then turning North on AZ-179 up through the Village of Oak Creek and on up to Sedona.

Is the AZ-89A as bad as it looks? Or worse? What is the best choice? What else would you suggest?

Thanks in advance!
Alpenlite 29RK,
Chevy 2500HD 4x4 DuraMax 'n Allison :B:B,
Taylor Wings Tank 'n Toolbox, Line-X Liner,
Valley 16K Dual Pivot Underbed Hitch,
Prodigy, Roll'n Lock Bed Cover
15 REPLIES 15

dedmiston
I think the OP got the answers he (she?) was looking for and has all the info required to make a routing decision.

Thanks for all the info.

Topic closed.

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch โ€ข 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") โ€ข <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

Horsedoc
Explorer II
Explorer II
Wow, macho makes me dizzy.
Almost as much as a long line of cars and trucks behind a slow moving RV negotiating switchbacks and narrow shoulders on mountain roads
horsedoc
2008 Damon Essence
2013 Jeep Sahara Unlimited
Blue Ox tow

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
Itsy, I guess we need a sign on that road: "Not recommended for Big Rigs or Tourists. If you have never driven this road, you are forbidden to do so."

That'll cut down on the traffic, for sure! ๐Ÿ˜‰
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."

ItsyRV
Explorer
Explorer
89A is an Interstate as far as I'm concern. I only get concern while using Schnebly Hills as a cut through to avoid the scared RVers on 89A or the hordes of tourist coming up 179. But, I'm sure my comfort level on 89A is due a lot to knowing the road; where it twist and tuns, where the slow traffic happens, where brake jerking occurs, where the awning eaters are located and all the other things that can scare a driver. Otherwise, it's a nice maintained road, easily navigated in any RV and only gets bad when tourist are on it.
1994 Itasca SunDancer 21RB - Chevy G-30 chassis.

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have done a lot of mountain towing (including 89 from Flagstaff to Sedona), and I would not take a big rig on that road. It was no problem for my Tacoma pulling a 12 foot trailer, but total length of that rig is 32 feet, and the best part is that it bends in the middle! ๐Ÿ˜‰

A very pretty drive, though. Or at least that's what my passenger said. I was watching the road. ๐Ÿ˜‰

Sedona is very touristy, but for good reason -- the scenery is great, the weather is great, and there are some good ice cream shops in town.
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."

lane_hog
Explorer II
Explorer II
I've driven 89A in a motorhome pulling a van and also with a fifth wheel. Not impossible and the views are wonderful, but if you're not comfortable with switchbacks or creating a long line of cars behind you, stick with I-17.
  • 2019 Grand Design 29TBS (had a Winnebago and 3x Jayco owner)
  • 2016 F-150 3.5L MaxTow (had Ram 2500 CTD, Dodge Durango)
  • 130W solar and 2005 Honda EU2000i twins that just won't quit

Janss
Explorer
Explorer
pigman1 gave you a good description of why you should take I-17 and Hwy 179. I just drove my car up and down Oak Creek Canyon (Hwy 89A) last week. Saw a couple and a Class C stopped at a very inappropriate place on the road, standing behind the RV holding their whole awning! Yes, their whole awning with hardware must have been knocked off the RV, likely from the roadside rock cliffs mentioned by pigman1.

A couple weeks ago, I drove home in my motorhome with tow car down I-17. Unfortunately, it is jarring between Flagstaff and Hwy 179 exit. I hope ADOT repaves it soon. Use your gears on the long downhill.

Sedona can get a little snow too, but not nearly as much as Flagstaff. Very occasionally, Hwy 89A and/or I-17 are closed for a few hours, like in an active snow storm or right after until they get the roads cleared.
2002 Itasca Suncruiser 32V
2012 Suzuki Grand Vitara

pigman1
Explorer
Explorer
Rt 89A has restrictions prohibiting travel for trucks over 50'. These are posted on signs in Prescott Valley, Clarkdale, Sedona and near Fort Tuthill. These restrictions DO NOT apply to RV's, but unless you are VERY EXPERIENCED in mountain driving, would bear serious consideration. The restrictions are because on some portions of the road the combination of the crown and roadside rock cliffs are a real danger to tall RV's. In addition, the road is very narrow and oncoming traffic prevents you from using the other lane. This same problem is also very evident on some right hand hairpins where the rig rear will tend to move in toward the cliff. Left hairpins also present a problem due to the rear of long vehicles impinging on the opposite direction traffic lane. Then there's the grades. Although unmarked, I'd believe a number are well in excess of 10%. Finally, although not mentioned by the OP, 89A through Jerome is quite tricky as it is a very busy tourist town with pedestrians and a lot of traffic, very narrow town streets and buildings right at the edge of travel lanes. 89A can be negotiated with an RV, but for the vast majority of RVers, other routes are recommended,
Pigman & Piglady
2013 Tiffin Allegro Bus 43' QGP
2011 Chevy Silverado 1500
SMI Air Force One toad brake
Street Atlas USA Plus

bgum
Explorer
Explorer
We drove it in a 35 ft Gulfstream towing a Jeep Wrangler. We used our gears to brake for the most part and our brakes where necessary. Slow but steady. I only recall one switchback that was a little tight. The worst part is no pullouts. Once you start you are committed.

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
My Dad had a cattle ranch near Sedona for 30 years. Oak Creek Canyon is not that bad unless there is snow on it. Many roads in Colorado are much worse.

I have made my last trip to Sedona because it is loved to death. I will remember it the way it used to be, a quiet little western town with some good artists. Now there is no where to park a pickup much less an RV. Everything is crowded. It costs a lot. It is not worth the trouble. You can see the Red Rocks without spending a week there.

Ozlander
Explorer
Explorer
I don't see any thing in that picture that would be a concern. 2 semis, pu and camper and a motorhome.
Ozlander

06 Yukon XL
2001 Trail-Lite 7253

Horsedoc
Explorer II
Explorer II
We made the mistake of taking 89 from Sedona to Flagstaff. We have a friend with property in Sedona and were visiting there as we came across country from Houston. Being basically lazy I decided it would be a time saver to just head up 89 rather than cut back to 17. 36 ft DP This was a trip we decided to rent a toad rather than tow. Than goodness we were not towing in some of the hairpin turns. We made it but it was not a fun trip
horsedoc
2008 Damon Essence
2013 Jeep Sahara Unlimited
Blue Ox tow

mileshuff
Explorer
Explorer
AZ-89 from Flagstaff to Sedona is not recommended for RV's. Sharp turns and a bit steep make it no fun at all.

However, once in Sedona if you have a car to use then take the drive from Sedona north on AZ-89. It is well worth it! Road is not bad at all in a car, just not a long RV. At the top of the switchbacks there is a scenic vista. Most afternoons there will be local indians selling their crafts. A short trail takes you along the edge of Oak Creek Canyon with beautiful views.

Below is a view of the switchbacks.
2014 Winnebago 26FWRKS 5th Wheel
2007.5 Dodge 2500 6.7L Diesel
2004 Dodge Durango Hemi 3.55 (Used to tow TT)

ReallyBigMax
Explorer
Explorer
Kinda figured that; the โ€œthrill rideโ€ part. Thanks for the confirmation.
ReallyBigMax
Alpenlite 29RK,
Chevy 2500HD 4x4 DuraMax 'n Allison :B:B,
Taylor Wings Tank 'n Toolbox, Line-X Liner,
Valley 16K Dual Pivot Underbed Hitch,
Prodigy, Roll'n Lock Bed Cover