cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

inquisitive

TS21sso
Explorer
Explorer
This question is for those with Blue Ox tow bar system.
When traveling and reaching temporary destination, ( maybe just a few days) do you always remove the spring loaded pins from the towed? I have always removed them when I unhook, but was wondering, what most others do. And do you have a reason as:to why or is it just a personal preference? Inquiring Miinds ๐Ÿ™‚
8 REPLIES 8

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
rk911 wrote:
not sure what you mean by spring loaded pins. if you're asking under what circumstances do we disconnect the toad....we always disconnect if staying put for at least two nights. and we sometimes disconnect even if leaving the next morning. going to dinner, movie, some other errands. disconnecting takes all of 5-mins.

The OP is asking about the receivers that go into the base plate. I don't have them but my buddy does. He removes them at my recommendation. You want to keep them out of the elements as much as possible. The last thing you want is for the pins and spring locks to freeze up on you from corrosion. It only takes 10 seconds to twist them out.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

DFord
Explorer
Explorer
If you think you're too big to cry and never curse in public, just try walking into one of those pins or you hitch. :S
Don Ford
2004 Safari Trek 31SBD (F53/V10 20,500GVW)
'09 HHR 2LT or '97 Aerostar MiniVan (Remco driveshaft disconnect) for Towed vehicles
BlueOx Aventa II Towbar - ReadyBrake Inertia Brake System

imgoin4it
Explorer
Explorer
Mine always come out if my Jeep is disconnected. Concern is they could be taken and they stick out and make a great leg buster.. the blue ox tow bar is locked into the receiver and it never comes off.
Howard,Connie,& Bella,
One spoiled schnauzer
2007 Newmar KSDP
4dr Jeep Wrangler

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
After painfully bumping into one in the dark, I always remove them now. I have rubber plugs I stick in the holes for a little cleaner look.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

Johno02
Explorer
Explorer
depends... Usually at home, and store them untill we are going out again. On the road, Usually leave them with the Motor home, just in case someone wants to steal them for fun or profit. AT home, more for shin protection mostly.
Noel and Betty Johnson (and Harry)

2005 GulfStream Ultra Supreme, 1 Old grouch, 1 wonderful wife, and two silly poodles.

Beverley_Ken
Explorer
Explorer
I do. Not worried about someone taking them, rather what they could do to my (or anyone else) shins. The same as removing the hitch receiver. Probably takes less than a minute to remove both and put them in storage, almost as quick to put them back in when ready to go.

Ken
2006 Winnebago Outlook 29B E-450.
2012 Honda CR-V AWD
Blue Ox Aventa LX tow bar and Brake Buddy Vantage.

rk911
Explorer
Explorer
not sure what you mean by spring loaded pins. if you're asking under what circumstances do we disconnect the toad....we always disconnect if staying put for at least two nights. and we sometimes disconnect even if leaving the next morning. going to dinner, movie, some other errands. disconnecting takes all of 5-mins.
Rich
Ham Radio, Sport Pilot, Retired 9-1-1 Call Center Administrator
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

& MaggieThe Wonder Beagle

K_Charles
Explorer
Explorer
We have been home almost one month and are leaving in a few days to go south. The pins are still in the pickup from the last time. I did take them out of the car last time we took the car. I think it depends on how lazy I am at the time.