cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Lock for generator

Snomas
Explorer
Explorer
I just installed a generator on my new back bumper rack. Has Anyone developed a way to lock it in place. Predator 3500 watt gen sitting on 20x48 in metal rack
Show me a pic if yu can
2006 WINNEBAGO ASPECT 29H Ford E450 Super Duty
2018 F150 Lariat Crew Cab, Coyote 5.0 L RWD
11 REPLIES 11

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
A bolt cutter can easily cut locks and cables. I keep my generator in the back of the TV and run a long cord from TT to it. Then I cover it up with a tarp so it is not visible locked in the back of my truck under a canopy.

pigman1
Explorer
Explorer
K_and_I wrote:
2manytoyz wrote:
Though I have a different brand of generator, I lock mine in place when in use.

I'm using a Masterlock Python model. I drilled a hole through the frame plate since it was all too easy to remove on bolt to slip the lock off the handle.

Affiliate link here: https://amzn.to/2BrbHsP

I use 2 of these Masterlock Pythons, wrapping around the generator on both sides, and going through a hole drilled in the rack it sits on. I found that Home Depot has these in 8' for a couple bucks more than Amazons 6' length, which was not long enough to go around my generator and rack.
Home Depot
Yes, a determined thief can go through these, but there are 2, and will take some time. We did a 10 week trip to Alaska, and the gennie is still sitting on its rack.
Sounds like a plan. Based on 11 trips I've made to Alaska (9 full summers up there) that's about the last place I'd expect you to have that sort of a problem. Alaskans I've met (and there has been a bunch of them) would be more apt to go out of their way to help you than steal anything. The guy I knew who lost his generator was on the desert in -----------------wait for it---

Yep, California.
Pigman & Piglady
2013 Tiffin Allegro Bus 43' QGP
2011 Chevy Silverado 1500
SMI Air Force One toad brake
Street Atlas USA Plus

K_and_I
Explorer
Explorer
2manytoyz wrote:

I'm using a Masterlock Python model. I drilled a hole through the frame plate since it was all too easy to remove on bolt to slip the lock off the handle.

I use 2 of these Masterlock Pythons, wrapping around the generator on both sides, and going through a hole drilled in the rack it sits on. I found that Home Depot has these in 8' for a couple bucks more than Amazons 6' length, which was not long enough to go around my generator and rack.
Home Depot
Yes, a determined thief can go through these, but there are 2, and will take some time. We did a 10 week trip to Alaska, and the gennie is still sitting on its rack.
K_and_I
2011 Rockwood 2604
Nights Camped in 2019: 85
Do we have time for shortcuts?

pinesman
Explorer
Explorer
I have the Masterlock cable shown above but it probably just makes me feel better than really accomplishing anything against a determined thief. It will slow down the opportunistic person wanting something easy but won't stop anyone who really wants it. My plan that I am currently going with is "if it is running, I will be around. If I am not around, it will be hidden"

pigman1
Explorer
Explorer
Yeah, a determined thief will have it if he wants it. We camped next to a guy who had his tied to his rig with a VERY LARGE grade 70 DOT transport chain and security lock and they cut it in just a few minutes and stole the genny. You may slow them down, but that's it.
Pigman & Piglady
2013 Tiffin Allegro Bus 43' QGP
2011 Chevy Silverado 1500
SMI Air Force One toad brake
Street Atlas USA Plus

romore
Explorer II
Explorer II
A determined thief will get it no matter what, the chain and lock just keeps honest people honest. If they can't steal they may take a hammer to it so either way you lose. Tie it down to deter the quick grab and run types and keep your insurance current.

rexmitchell
Explorer
Explorer
Get the biggest chain you can find and chain it to the frame of the camper. An angle grinder will quickly and quietly go through a cable lock in under a minute.

2manytoyz
Explorer
Explorer

Details here: http://2manytoyz.com/genlock.html

Robert
Merritt Island, FL
2023 Thor Quantum KW29
2006 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited TOAD
2023 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon TOAD
Falcon 2 Towbar, Roadmaster 9400 Even Brake System
http://www.2manytoyz.com/

TurnThePage
Explorer
Explorer
I wish they had that lockdown plate for my Champ 3400! I've been patiently waiting.

I purchased a length of hardened chain that's over 1/2" thick and a big fat hardened lock to secure it. They say that bolt cutters can't cut the chain, but I'm sure with some time, a grinder will. It's a work out just lifting the chain. ๐Ÿ™‚
2015 Ram 1500
2022 Grand Design Imagine XLS 22RBE

ependydad
Explorer
Explorer
My favorite generator lock is the LowPro LockDown lock. Donโ€™t know if they have a baseplate for the Predator, though.

This thing is as good as it gets.
2017 Spartan 1245 by Prime Time
2018 Ram 3500 Crew Cab DRW w/ 4.10 gears and 8' bed
FW Hitch: TrailerSaver TS3
Learn to RV- learn about RVing - Towing Planner Calculators - Family Fulltiming FB page

GrandpaKip
Explorer
Explorer
Short of a bank vault, not too much you can do to prevent a determined thief.
I would use a high grade chain or cable with a decent padlock to dissuade the casual thief.
If itโ€™s a hitch mounted rack, Iโ€™d also get a locking hitch pin.
Kip
2015 Skyline Dart 214RB
2018 Silverado Double Cab 4x4
Andersen Hitch