Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: General RVing Issues: Trouble with California
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Trouble with California

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 19  
Prev  |  Next
4x4van

California

View Profile

Posted: 10/24/19 04:59pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

WVcampground wrote:

A visual inspection for such things on a watercraft is a total joke and waste of time. It's nothing more than a Government sponsored feel good measure like a firewood quarantine.
You might feel different about that firewood thing if you saw the millions of dead trees in the forests of CA due to the drought taking a toll on trees that were weakened by Bark Beetles. And watercraft & boats? They only check to make sure that the drain plug is removed so that any Quagga Mussells (go ahead, look them up) will dry out and die before being transferred to another fresh water body.

Amazes me how adamant some can be about their "rights" to not be subject to a 1 minute delay in an effort to prevent major problems down the road.

We don't stop playing because we grow old...We grow old because we stop playing!

2004 Itasca Sunrise M-30W
Carson enclosed ATV Trailer
-'85 ATC250R (2), '85 BW200, '07 TRX400EX, '12 Husky TE310
Zieman Jetski Trailer
-'96 GTi, '96 Waveblaster II, '95 FX1

WVcampground

WV

View Profile

Posted: 10/24/19 05:23pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

4x4van wrote:

WVcampground wrote:

A visual inspection for such things on a watercraft is a total joke and waste of time. It's nothing more than a Government sponsored feel good measure like a firewood quarantine.
You might feel different about that firewood thing if you saw the millions of dead trees in the forests of CA due to the drought taking a toll on trees that were weakened by Bark Beetles. And watercraft & boats? They only check to make sure that the drain plug is removed so that any Quagga Mussells (go ahead, look them up) will dry out and die before being transferred to another fresh water body.

Amazes me how adamant some can be about their "rights" to not be subject to a 1 minute delay in an effort to prevent major problems down the road.

I won't. Because a Pine Beetle, or what your calling a bark beetle, is not an invasive species, it's native. Its current explosion is due to forest mismanagement. A single female mussel releases up to a million eggs per year that are transferred by birds from one body or water to another.

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 10/24/19 06:25pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jfkmk wrote:

Cummins12V98 wrote:

Pull up with your sunglasses OFF! Look them in the eye, let them speak FIRST.

Oh good grief. What, the fruit police are now the gestapo?

Do what you want but excellent advice for international border crossings, immigrant checkpoints and yes fruit stops.

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

larry barnhart

wenatchee. wa usa

View Profile

Posted: 10/24/19 08:39pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My dark glasses always came of at the fruit inspection but maybe never have to do that again. Not a route we take anymore for good reasons.

chevman

chevman
2001 35 ft avalon alpenlite RK
2005 3500 2wd duramax CC dually
prodigy
easyrider/reese airhitch
trailair center point suspension
JT Strong Arm Stabilizers
KSH 55 inbed fuel tank

scanguage II
TD-EOC
Induction Overhaul Kit
TST tire monitors
FMCA # F479110

suprz

rhode island

View Profile

Posted: 10/25/19 03:44am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Acampingwewillgo wrote:

Just for kicks, and I don't know if this is still done or not but a number of years ago while traveling the New cross-over at Hoover Dam, there was a check-point. Not border patrol or Ag inspection but one that required all RV's to stop and open up your compartments( can't recall if they also entered the RV)…. it was a no brainer but I suppose that if you refused, you would not be allowed to cross.

We were just there last month, cute little blonde girl with a glock, asked if they (another girl, and a guy) could search the RV. I said OK, then she asked if we had any weapons onboard and I replied YES.. She looked concerned and told me I could not proceed and had to go around and not over the dam

Proud father of a US Marine

JRscooby

Indepmo

View Profile

Posted: 10/25/19 05:08am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Cummins12V98 wrote:

Pull up with your sunglasses OFF! Look them in the eye, let them speak FIRST. The I-5 SB inspection station coming from Oregon will ask if you have and fruit, now you can answer by clearly stating what fruit you have and where it was purchased.

NEVER an issue.

Sunglasses off? If I don't have glasses on my face my DL is not valid. Fumbling around trying to change them does not sound like a safe way to approach a paranoid with a gun.

Deb and Ed M

SW MI & Space Coast, FL USA

View Profile

Posted: 10/25/19 07:02am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

goducks10 wrote:

What has got me riled a few times is the Invasive Water Species check points. We sometime pack out kayaks on trips. They don't have any enclosed areas. Just a big open plastic shell.
There's checkpoints at rest areas and you're required to stop.
It could be twice in one day in the same state.
Really annoying especially when you don't plan on using the kayaks in that state. And if you do you still have to get inspected at the lake even after two inspections prior in the same state.

I too am a kayaker. Unless you have rinsed and towel-dried your kayaks, you could still be transporting invasive species larvae in some splash water or mud; or even the smallest shred of something like Eurasian Milfoil or Starry Stonewort can be carried into a lake, where it grows into a mess that will cost hundreds-of-thousands of dollars to control. Many kayaks (especially the cheaper ones) do NOT drain completely, there's often a lip around the cockpit that retains a little water - and that's all it takes to spread AIS (aquatic invasive species)

covered wagon

USA

View Profile

Posted: 10/25/19 09:13am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Alan_Hepburn wrote:

You certainly have the right to refuse a search, but then they also have the right to tell you to turn around and go back the way you came...

Yes and a poor attitude can be reported in a database.

I let them search my whole camper, gave them the keys. When done I was polite and said thank you for what you do.[emoticon]

DutchmenSport

Indiana

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/25/19 11:00am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

dodge guy wrote:

All I can say is it's keeping a lot of people out of California.

If only we could keep a lot of people from California out of Indiana, our roads might be safer! Gone are the days of Sunday look-ie-loo drives in the early afternoon. Do that today and 10 cars from California pile behind you on a back country blowing their horns because you are not running 90 mph on a back county road intended for 30 mph traffic and there's Amish horse poo all over the road!

WVcampground

WV

View Profile

Posted: 10/25/19 12:00pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

DutchmenSport wrote:

dodge guy wrote:

All I can say is it's keeping a lot of people out of California.

If only we could keep a lot of people from California out of Indiana, our roads might be safer! Gone are the days of Sunday look-ie-loo drives in the early afternoon. Do that today and 10 cars from California pile behind you on a back country blowing their horns because you are not running 90 mph on a back county road intended for 30 mph traffic and there's Amish horse poo all over the road!

What do you think the attraction is? The Amish horse poo?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 19  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Trouble with California
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS