Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: General RVing Issues: Trouble with California
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Trouble with California

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 19  
Prev  |  Next
Donna Jean

waterford

View Profile

Posted: 10/30/19 02:25pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

do they stop cars to inspect or just campers and trailers?

counting the days until Class A retirement

bpounds

Sophmore Brain...

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/30/19 02:35pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Cars, RVs, even motorcycles, all have to stop. Commercial carriers are handled separately.

An actual inspection is a small percentage. Often you won't even stop, just get waved through.

2006 F250 Diesel
2011 Keystone Cougar 278RKSWE Fiver

Yosemite Sam1

Under the pines.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/30/19 02:36pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Donna Jean wrote:

do they stop cars to inspect or just campers and trailers?

All, theoretically.

But there is an ebb in inspection and sometimes just wave off cars depending on current risk or imminent danger of contamination.

Inspection is stricter on those traveling interstate specially when asked, you happen to have passed by a state having pest infestations.

4x4van

California

View Profile

Posted: 10/30/19 04:47pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

WVcampground wrote:

4x4van wrote:

WVcampground wrote:

A visual inspection for such things on a watercraft is a total joke and waste of time. It's nothing more than a Government sponsored feel good measure like a firewood quarantine.
You might feel different about that firewood thing if you saw the millions of dead trees in the forests of CA due to the drought taking a toll on trees that were weakened by Bark Beetles. And watercraft & boats? They only check to make sure that the drain plug is removed so that any Quagga Mussells (go ahead, look them up) will dry out and die before being transferred to another fresh water body.

Amazes me how adamant some can be about their "rights" to not be subject to a 1 minute delay in an effort to prevent major problems down the road.

I won't. Because a Pine Beetle, or what your calling a bark beetle, is not an invasive species, it's native. Its current explosion is due to forest mismanagement. A single female mussel releases up to a million eggs per year that are transferred by birds from one body or water to another.
Firewood bans are in place to prevent native species from invading non-native areas. And as for Quagga Mussells, although transfer by birds is theoretically possible, it has never actually been demonstrated, and considering the millions of tax dollars that have been spent because of the destruction to watersheds that they have caused, I'm not so arrogant to claim that 30 seconds to a minute of my time at a California Ag station is more important than helping to fight something that could possibly cause millions of (my) dollars in damage. Maybe google "Asian Citrus Psyllid", or "Mediterranean Fruit Fly". Free and easy travel has created many issues, not just the ones we are discussing here. But thanks, I always welcome someone from the east coast "educating me" on my home state and what is important here on the west coast. [emoticon]

* This post was edited 10/30/19 04:57pm by 4x4van *

We don't stop playing because we grow old...We grow old because we stop playing!

2004 Itasca Sunrise M-30W
Carson enclosed ATV Trailer
-'85 ATC250R (2), '85 BW200, '07 TRX400EX, '12 Husky TE310
Zieman Jetski Trailer
-'96 GTi, '96 Waveblaster II, '95 FX1

dave54

Northeast CA.

View Profile

Posted: 10/30/19 07:07pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

bpounds wrote:

dave54 wrote:

A few years ago the Calexico border checkpoint was backed up...Did not even ask for passports...

Checkpoint, or border crossing? Why would you need a passport at a checkpoint? Checkpoints are often many miles inside the country. Citizens mostly would not be carrying passports.

The border crossing from Mexico. Surprised the heck outta me they waved me through without stopping. [emoticon]

Makes you real confident they are keeping us safe, doesn't it?

=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=
So many campsites, so little time...
~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~

WVcampground

WV

View Profile

Posted: 10/30/19 07:35pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

4x4van wrote:

But thanks, I always welcome someone from the east coast "educating me" on my home state and what is important here on the west coast. [emoticon]

Don't mention it. Hopefully you're far from the fires and have not had your power shut off. Maybe you all could use some education from the East coast.

Yosemite Sam1

Under the pines.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/30/19 08:08pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

WVcampground wrote:

4x4van wrote:

But thanks, I always welcome someone from the east coast "educating me" on my home state and what is important here on the west coast. [emoticon]

Don't mention it. Hopefully you're far from the fires and have not had your power shut off. Maybe you all could use some education from the East coast.

Just keep the snowflakes with an attitude home.[emoticon]

And that education, would that involve sweeping the forest to prevent forest fire and wanting Pleasure in Paradise city?[emoticon]

* This post was edited 10/30/19 08:14pm by Yosemite Sam1 *

JRscooby

Indepmo

View Profile

Posted: 10/31/19 04:56am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yosemite Sam1 wrote:

California has a multi-billion agricultural industry that the state is trying to protect from pests.

The mandate extend to invasive species that could play havoc on it's forests and bodies of water.

Hence, CA's borders have inspectors.

Yes, those produce and firewood can be asked to be off loaded.

Yep yep yep. California is the only state in the country with multi-billion agricultural industry.

4x4van

California

View Profile

Posted: 10/31/19 08:21am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yosemite Sam1 wrote:

WVcampground wrote:

4x4van wrote:

Just keep the snowflakes with an attitude home.[emoticon]

And that education, would that involve sweeping the forest to prevent forest fire and wanting Pleasure in Paradise city?[emoticon]
I agree that decades of CA forest mismanagement and liberal environmentalist policies are to blame for the fires, although CA's vegetation and environment is not in any way similar to the east coast, so any comparison is invalid from the get-go. I know people often ask why would anyone live in CA with the fires and earthquakes; but the same could be asked about those in the Mississippi river valley who continue to rebuild after the river floods every few years, or those along the east coast who get hit with hurricanes over and over, or those in tornado alley, or...

Although I'm still not sure what any of that has to do with a 30 second delay at an AG station. I may be old, but I think I can spare 30 seconds or so once in a blue moon. Will the inspection actually make a difference? Maybe, maybe not; that is indeed debatable. But will that 30 seconds lost degrade my life in any way? Certainly not, although YMMV.

4x4van

California

View Profile

Posted: 10/31/19 08:32am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JRscooby wrote:

Yosemite Sam1 wrote:

California has a multi-billion agricultural industry that the state is trying to protect from pests.

The mandate extend to invasive species that could play havoc on it's forests and bodies of water.

Hence, CA's borders have inspectors.

Yes, those produce and firewood can be asked to be off loaded.

Yep yep yep. California is the only state in the country with multi-billion agricultural industry.
Nope, but it is the highest; nearly double 2nd place Iowa ($50 billion vs $27 billion).

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 19  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Trouble with California
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS