Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: General RVing Issues: Trouble with California
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Trouble with California

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 29  
Prev  |  Next
soccrman

Calgary, Alberta, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 11/03/19 06:20pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Acampingwewillgo wrote:

Just for kicks, and I don't know if this is still done or not but a number of years ago while traveling the New cross-over at Hoover Dam, there was a check-point. Not border patrol or Ag inspection but one that required all RV's to stop and open up your compartments( can't recall if they also entered the RV)…. it was a no brainer but I suppose that if you refused, you would not be allowed to cross.

This also happened to me way back in 2005. It was more thorough than the one at the Can/USA border.

FINALLY - bought a 2004 Fleetwood Tioga - magic - looking fwd to more adventures in a C
2005 F350 diesel - glutton for punishment!!"> - ALSO STOLEN
2004 F350 diesel SRW STOLEN
2004 Jayco Jay Flight 26.5 BHS - SOLD

JRscooby

Indepmo

View Profile

Posted: 11/04/19 05:12am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

toedtoes wrote:

First:

Their asking and then choosing to search is not about YOUR feelings, it's about them doing a job and having to make a choice based on a wide range of observations.

I have gone into my places where I expected my vehicle to be searched. Never been happy about it, but understand the necessity. (Hate to think of Rent-a-Cop guarding our military base) Once, I was setting on a wide shoulder waiting. Couple of armed MPs pulled up, asked me what I was doing. "Waiting for friend to get unloaded so can move what can't go thru gate to his truck." No issue.

Quote:

Funny how it is so upsetting for an old white guy to be singled out of a line for a more indepth scrutiny about a bag of fruit. "Oh the horrors! They think I'm lying!"

I have never been one to think there is a limited number of "rights", the only way others can have any is for me to give up mine.
But I also understand we live in a country where one man can order the execution of anybody. The power has been used against a juvenile US citizen, and there was no general public outcry.

Quote:

Second:

If they let someone else take that fruit (or firewood, etc.), it will very likely find it's way into the state. Or will be dumped a few miles away when found to be infested with a bug and that bug will find its way over the state line. And if that happens, then the ag folks didn't do their job.

By that logic, nobody in a state that borders Cal should not be allowed to have fruit or firewood. The probability that the stopped produce is contaminated is very low. There is a good chance it was hauled out of state once before. Fact is, any produce destroyed is just a increase in demand.

Range Maggot Bob

Missouri

View Profile

Posted: 01/16/20 06:48pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yosemite Sam1 wrote:

Airdaile wrote:

et2 wrote:

I'm not even from California but understand why it's the national and global trend-setter, technological and environmental benchmark.

I am, and it's certainly none of those things anymore. Maybe ten years ago... Horrible place and I don't even want to go back to visit anymore.

jdc1

Rescue, Ca

View Profile

Posted: 01/16/20 09:21pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

pitch wrote:

Ag. Check points;we all know understand and tolerate them,never a problem.
Couple of weeks ago we were heade to redwood. National forest from Grants Pas Oregon.
Ag check ahead, ok I fall into line with everyone else,multiple lanes,cars trucks,other rv,s. E

"I understand that,bbut you are not entering my trailer without a warrant !"

She gave me a look that could kill,and entered her both and made a phone call.

Minute is so later she comes out,shoves a handful of invasive critter literature into my hand and said,"move on"

Sounds like she was doing what she was paid to do.

jdc1

Rescue, Ca

View Profile

Posted: 01/16/20 09:23pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Alan_Hepburn wrote:

You certainly have the right to refuse a search, but then they also have the right to tell you to turn around and go back the way you came...

Best answer on this post! Love it.

Yosemite Sam1

Under the pines.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/16/20 09:33pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Range Maggot Bob wrote:

Yosemite Sam1 wrote:

Airdaile wrote:

et2 wrote:

I'm not even from California but understand why it's the national and global trend-setter, technological and environmental benchmark.

I am, and it's certainly none of those things anymore. Maybe ten years ago... Horrible place and I don't even want to go back to visit anymore.

This must be a wrong bracketing of a quote as I certainly did not say it.

In fact, California campgrounds — National, country, regional and city — are my favorites.

Even my handle is a tribute to my favorite and what I think is the most beautiful national park.

I’m even an admirer of the state with it’s high-tech people, open-mindedness and it’s state administration and environmental programs.

Eric&Lisa

Scappoose, OR

View Profile

Posted: 01/16/20 11:41pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Alan_Hepburn wrote:

You certainly have the right to refuse a search, but then they also have the right to tell you to turn around and go back the way you came...

Really? We don't have free passage between the states? And didn't all those states agree to the 4th Amendment regarding unreasonable searches?

I just don't see how one state can refuse entry to a citizen of another state, just because that citizen is holding the state accountable to the laws the state agreed to.

It is not private property. It is not a foreign country. I don't think a state can refuse entry without a reason. And a citizen refusing to be searched without cause is not a valid reason for suspicion!

-Eric

Eric & Lisa - Oregon
'97 Silverado K2500, New HT383 motor!, Airbags, anti-sway bar
'03 Lance model 1030, generator, solar,

wa8yxm

Wherever I happen to park

View Profile

Posted: 01/17/20 05:12am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When you cross a border. be it international or state to state.

The state or country you are entering has the right to inspect. No warrant needed. Same for crossing the Hoover Dam I might add and some other locations.

Been that way a long long time. Not a problem for me. Unless you are carrying counter banned goods it should not be an issue for anyone. Very good reasons for the inspections.

Home is where I park it.
Kenwood TS-2000 housed in a 2005 Damon Intruder 377

bpounds

Sophmore Brain...

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/17/20 08:32am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Eric&Lisa wrote:

Really? We don't have free passage between the states?

You do. The bugs you're infested with don't. Your vehicle has no rights at all. I'm pretty sure you could walk across without a search.

2006 F250 Diesel
2011 Keystone Cougar 278RKSWE Fiver

ppine

Northern Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 01/17/20 08:38am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Get rid of your NY attitude as soon as possible.
People doing their jobs protecting the gigantic ag industry.
Learn to deal with westerners. Do not be so direct. Be friendly. Then they won't be tempted to inspect your rig.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 29  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Trouble with California
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.