Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: General RVing Issues: Trouble with California
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

 > Trouble with California

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 29  
Prev  |  Next
Yosemite Sam1

Under the pines.

Senior Member

Joined: 03/28/2018

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 01/21/20 11:50am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Turtle n Peeps wrote:

Yosemite Sam1 wrote:

am1958 wrote:


That is exactly what I have been saying - the food/Ag Drone has no power to search and his/her only chance to be allowed to search is through the permission of the traveler... a refusal to be searched means that you nor your goods may not enter. If you turn around and drive away then there is absolutely nothing the drone can or should do...


Nice weasel out!

Isn't that what everyone suggested to the OP and where you lied and scared them sh!tless with psychiatrically paranoid rant that they are "giving up their rights"?

You can now raise your pants backup and pretend nothing happened.


Actually you can continue on like this guy did. [emoticon]


This inspector and the LEO are weak and have a hint that they will be walked over like a doormat by the RV owner.

He should have taken lessons from Jimmy Malone, that cop played by Sean Connery in The Untochables.

Not quite Jim Malone’s “He pulls a knife, you pull a gun. He sends one of yours to the hospital, you send one of his to the morgue!” More like, you make my life miserable, I’ll return the favor – and more.

I imagine this is how Jim would have handled this.

Jim Malone: May I inspect your RV for fruits, insect and parasites, sir?

Aboy: No, unless you can show me a warrant and probable cause.

Jim Malone: I don’t need a warrant, this is not a search for evidence. This is an administrative inspection. My probable cause is that you passed and came from states with confirmed pests and parasite infestation.

Aboy: But I consider my RV my home.

Jim Malone: Yes, you can consider it a home or whatever you might want to call it, but the law classify it as vehicle of conveyance and ruled by Supreme Court to be covered by vehicle exemption not requiring search warrant for administrative inspection.

But you have an option to turn-around from where you came from if you don’t want an inspection.

Aboy: Why? I am an American citizen and have the right to travel whenever I want in any state.

Jim Malone: Yes, you have the right to travel, but your vehicles do not have the same rights and, again, I have the duty of administrative inspection over your vehicles before you are allowed to enter the state.

Aboy: Well, you don’t have the right of seizure of my personal properties.

Jim Malone: It’s not a seizure nor sequestration of your properties, the state has the authority of quarantine right at this station should you both decide to proceed to California without me honoring my duty to inspect the inside of your RV. I can see you have a phone so you can call an Uber should you decide to proceed and cross into the stateline?

Aboy: Okay, okay…

Jim Malone: Not so fast sir. I am an expert on parasite and noticed that your female companion has crabs infestation in her eyebrow and eye lashes, so I have to quarantine her too for total body disinfection.

And you should leave your number and contact address. If your female companion happens to have a Las Vegas, Nevada address and yours is Arizona, we have probable cause to suspect that you are engaging in cross-state human trafficking for prostitution which is prohibited by federal law and that prostitution is illegal in California.

This is a joke and no reason for the snowflakes and the paranoid to twist their underwear in a fit of rage.[emoticon]

mountainkowboy

Socal > NE Oregon

Senior Member

Joined: 09/20/2004

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 01/21/20 01:11pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yosemite Sam1 wrote:

mountainkowboy wrote:

I go between Or and CA all the time and go through the "AG" stops all the time. I have been asked a few times if they can "inspect" the inside of my TC for whatever, I just laugh at them and say no. They have no authority for such...in fact 90% of the time the Leo's don't have the authority, but people are intimidated by the request and submit to it, why I have no idea.

Know your rights and demand respect from ANYONE, or be a sheep and get trampled on.


I'm sorry if I found this incredulous. I don't think you'll even be asked, and you'll just be waived at the border if you have a Oregon license plate. That's within flying distance of any insect and don't need you car to be transported. These nearby states, up to WA have joint-coordinated pest control protocols.


Really? you've ridden with my wife and I driving in and out of CA over the last 10 years? I love the drivel of some people who choose there own "truths" over others facts. You can choose your "alternate" reality if you wish, but quit making statements about things that you don't have first hand knowledge of.


Chuck & Ruth with 4-legged Molly
1990 F350 S/C Lariat Dually (Red)
1990 S&S 11SC Cabover
2011 Ford Ranger
1987 HD FLHTP


Yosemite Sam1

Under the pines.

Senior Member

Joined: 03/28/2018

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 01/21/20 01:26pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mountainkowboy wrote:

Yosemite Sam1 wrote:

mountainkowboy wrote:

I go between Or and CA all the time and go through the "AG" stops all the time. I have been asked a few times if they can "inspect" the inside of my TC for whatever, I just laugh at them and say no. They have no authority for such...in fact 90% of the time the Leo's don't have the authority, but people are intimidated by the request and submit to it, why I have no idea.

Know your rights and demand respect from ANYONE, or be a sheep and get trampled on.


I'm sorry if I found this incredulous. I don't think you'll even be asked, and you'll just be waived at the border if you have a Oregon license plate. That's within flying distance of any insect and don't need you car to be transported. These nearby states, up to WA have joint-coordinated pest control protocols.


Really? you've ridden with my wife and I driving in and out of CA over the last 10 years? I love the drivel of some people who choose there own "truths" over others facts. You can choose your "alternate" reality if you wish, but quit making statements about things that you don't have first hand knowledge of.


No, I would not drive to CA with your wife. And unlike you, I don't need the permission nor bring my wife to be able to go to California.

As to mine is bigger than yours contest you want to start. Mine is longer. I've been crossing CA, and passed ALL of it's borders for 17 years as called for by my professional responsibilities.

On the direct knowledge, that I admit. Mine is 2nd hand knowledge of a border inspector former neighbor as drinking buddy. And I cannot vouch for the accuracy as we are both half drunk, LOL.[emoticon]

* This post was edited 01/21/20 02:37pm by Yosemite Sam1 *

CFerguson

on the road

Senior Member

Joined: 10/25/2018

View Profile



Posted: 01/21/20 02:57pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I think we have established The Answer.
An ag inspection is voluntary(per law cited above) and the ag inspector has the legal authority to deny you entry to the state at his whim.

If that happens, you can:
1) turn around and spend your tourista dollars elsewhere; or
2) go find another, less traveled road into CA.
There are other options, of course, like showing your rear and being mouthy. Cant say I recommend those- the more you talk, the worse it potentially gets both from a self incrimination and pi ssing off the officer points of view.

My advice is to Politely but Firmly refuse a search if you so choose. Don't argue, don't debate, don't whine.

am1958

SE Michigan

Senior Member

Joined: 04/10/2014

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 01/21/20 03:44pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

CFerguson wrote:


2) go find another, less traveled road into CA.


This is the ridiculousness of California. The CDFA's own web site states they have only 16 Ag. Checkpoints... I hesitate to guess the number of roads that enter California but it's probably a lot more than 16. So, in true California style it would appear that, while making themselves feel good about doing the right thing, they are actually spitting into an ocean and hoping the water level will rise...

One also wondered how many species invasive to the US have initially entered through California but a google search is quick to list species invasive to California but reticent to point the finger at California. I can be pretty sure that the Africanized Bees came through Central America and California to infest the warmer states... One wonders where the Ag. checks were on them leaving the state.

Of course, with all the international trade being shipped in and out of the 7th largest economy in the world, (that can't keep it's streets clean of human fecal waste), through it's rather large ports one wonders why they are so very keen on keeping stuff out of the state from locations in the various states of the USA but offer absolutely no protection to those various states from it's own mistakes by having Ag. stations on the outbound lanes of the 16 roads they feel are a "threat"....

But then, that's the silliness of California...

lakeside013104

North America

Senior Member

Joined: 07/26/2012

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 01/21/20 03:53pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

CFerguson wrote:



My advice is to Politely but Firmly refuse a search if you so choose. Don't argue, don't debate, don't whine.


But that would spoil their fun. The reason they do whine and argue is because they want to call attention to themselves. A lot like when someone has purple hair, or stick pins everywhere in their face, or skin blanketed with ink. All to call attention to themselves probably because some part of their lives was tough and now they want some sediment of control, even if it is in their own imagination.

Anyway, some good points in this thread. I thank the mods for allowing this to continue to actually see where it ends up.

Lakeside

caver

Missouri, The Cave State

Senior Member

Joined: 01/27/2002

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member


Posted: 01/21/20 08:34pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Invasive pest: I dunno, that border looks tricky...maybe we should hitch a ride in that RV.

bpounds

Sophmore Brain...

Senior Member

Joined: 12/12/2010

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Online
Posted: 01/22/20 09:02am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Seems the most invasive pests, are those making videos.


2006 F250 Diesel
2011 Keystone Cougar 278RKSWE Fiver


hotpepperkid

Kingman AZ

Senior Member

Joined: 03/29/2002

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 01/22/20 09:30am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

am1958 wrote:

CFerguson wrote:


2) go find another, less traveled road into CA.


This is the ridiculousness of California. The CDFA's own web site states they have only 16 Ag. Checkpoints... I hesitate to guess the number of roads that enter California but it's probably a lot more than 16. So, in true California style it would appear that, while making themselves feel good about doing the right thing, they are actually spitting into an ocean and hoping the water level will rise...

One also wondered how many species invasive to the US have initially entered through California but a google search is quick to list species invasive to California but reticent to point the finger at California. I can be pretty sure that the Africanized Bees came through Central America and California to infest the warmer states... One wonders where the Ag. checks were on them leaving the state.

Of course, with all the international trade being shipped in and out of the 7th largest economy in the world, (that can't keep it's streets clean of human fecal waste), through it's rather large ports one wonders why they are so very keen on keeping stuff out of the state from locations in the various states of the USA but offer absolutely no protection to those various states from it's own mistakes by having Ag. stations on the outbound lanes of the 16 roads they feel are a "threat"....

But then, that's the silliness of California...


So no big deal they tell me go back to AZ. Just go up or down the river 5 miles there is another bridge into CA with no over eager inspector


2019 Ford F-350 long bed SRW 4X4 6.4 PSD Grand Designs Reflection 295RL 5th wheel

Yosemite Sam1

Under the pines.

Senior Member

Joined: 03/28/2018

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 01/22/20 10:22am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

bpounds wrote:

Seems the most invasive pests, are those making videos.


[emoticon][emoticon]

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 29  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

 > Trouble with California
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues


New posts No new posts
Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:




© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.