Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Tech Issues: Using water below freezing?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Using water below freezing?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
swimmer_spe

Sudbury, Ontario, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 10/21/19 11:28pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I hunt, and hunting season ends mid December. My current RV has a decent water system and a decent furnace. I am wondering, providing there is heat in the RV, and if I only use the holding tanks, would there be a risk of freezing?

valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Posted: 10/21/19 11:56pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Maybe...maybe not.

Sudbury Ontario is pretty far north, so a cold snap could get pretty cold even in December.

Also, we don't know what model RV you have. Some have tanks largely enclosed and the furnace "wastes" some of the heat into the underbelly giving you a much lower risk of freezing. Others have the tanks fully exposed, so much easier to get freeze issues.

Then if you have access to electricity, there are heating pads and other options to mitigate, so it is possible.

In our last 5er, we were down to -5F for a couple of days. Lost the stinky slinky hose as it froze solid and I tore it trying to get it disconnected without waiting for it to melt...but otherwise no damage.

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2008 Copper Canyon 5er
Catalac Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and 5er

lane hog

Tucson, AZ & NW Chicago Burbs, IL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/22/19 04:16am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

In a holding tank, there's usually more than enough room for expansion as the fluids freeze. Pink is relatively cheap -- dump a couple gallons in the tank, and you might be OK.

• 2005 Winnebago "Minnie" 31C (was a three-time Jayco owner)
  • 2012 MasterTow Dolly pulling a 2003 Jeep Liberty (had Ram 2500 CTD, Dodge Durango, Honda Odyssey...)
  • Onan Microquiet 4000, plus 130W solar and Honda EU2000i twins for backup

IB853347201

Eastern Ontario

View Profile

Posted: 10/22/19 07:49am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Wow Sudbury in December? I wouldn't advise it unless you have a MH and all your water lines and tanks are enclosed in a heated basement. Forecast right now for end of November is 15F or -9C. That'll definately freeze any exposed water lines....

Touring in our 2010 Suncruiser, beaches, site seeing, national parks, chillaxing..

JaxDad

Greater Toronto Area

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/22/19 08:06am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A friend found out the hard way, the first part of the grey black tanks is the very exposed pipes / dump valves. Even with an RV with heated tanks these parts are not heated.

Provided it does all work, how are you going to winterize it at the end of the hunt?

DrewE

Vermont

View Profile

Posted: 10/22/19 08:37am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JaxDad wrote:

A friend found out the hard way, the first part of the grey black tanks is the very exposed pipes / dump valves. Even with an RV with heated tanks these parts are not heated.

Provided it does all work, how are you going to winterize it at the end of the hunt?

Different RVs have differing provisions for heating tanks and such. On my motorhome, the dump valves are in a (nominally) heated compartment along with the tanks, and so protected from freezing.

It gets winterized after use in freezing weather the same as at any other time--drain out the water and sewage, and either blow out the lines or pump in antifreeze. The only difference is that I have to do it fairly expeditiously after I'm done camping, rather than waiting a week for a convenient time.

swimmer_spe

Sudbury, Ontario, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 10/22/19 09:09am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

OP here.

Trailer is an ultralight. No heated tanks. No heated or insulated dump valves.

Sounds like I might be ok, but most likely will have my holding tanks getting slushy. Not sure if it's worth the risk.

As far as winterizing, I would pump in plumbing antifreeze like it is recommended around here.

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/22/19 09:35am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

As long as you have a place to plug in you can certainly prepare your RV to operate into the cold by adding the necessary pipe and tank heaters.

www.ultraheat.com

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

Jayco-noslide

Galesburg,Il., USA

View Profile

Posted: 10/22/19 02:19pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you just use water from your tank is 1 thing but if you hook to a city water, the hose will freeze upper 20s or less. Also, the valves to drain the tanks will freeze up. If it just get a few degrees below freezing for an hour or 2 might work but colder and longer is a problem.

Jayco-noslide

maillemaker

office

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/22/19 02:30pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm in Alabama, and I've had my waste gate valves get frozen in our relatively weak winters. No damage, but I could not dump the tanks until they thawed out.

In my old RV the grey and black water tanks are exposed to the elements, and the waste gate valve is hanging out there, too.

Maybe you can stop your tanks from freezing up by dumping some RV antifreeze into your black and grey tanks. Say a gallon in each?

1990 Winnebago Warrior. "She may not look like much but she's got it where it counts!"

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Using water below freezing?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.