cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

heater mats under tanks

Tom_Barb
Explorer
Explorer
How to know your heater mats are working under the tanks? Our switch is on and the lamp is on, But there seems no heat.

I'm hoping to not to disassemble anything
2000 Newmar mountain aire 4081 DP, ISC/350 Allison 6 speed, Wrangler JL toad.
4 REPLIES 4

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
A clamp-on ammeter will tell if the current flow is within specs. Often there is a thermostat right at the heating element. Depending on temperature you may need to place an ice pack right on the thermostat to close the switch.

MURPHY55347
Explorer
Explorer
There is nothing to tell you the pads are on. The light being on just tells you power is available to the pads.

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
dblr wrote:
They work very much like a water bed heater and work off of a thermostat, we were told even if ours are turned on unless the temperature drops to around 40 the tank heater will not come on

Most, do have an internal tstat in the pad. The way I test, is to take a can of PC air and turn upside down to freeze the area where the wires enter the pad(where the tstat is). I then wait a few minutes and shoot the actual pad with an IR thermometer to make sure it is heating. Doug

dblr
Explorer
Explorer
They work very much like a water bed heater and work off of a thermostat, we were told even if ours are turned on unless the temperature drops to around 40 the tank heater will not come on
2017 River Stone Legacy 38MB
2001 Kenworth T2000
2009 Smart on the deck.