cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

5th wheel hitches

opschief
Explorer
Explorer
OKay... I/m looking for anyone who had or is currently using an Andersen Ultimate hitch. The Good and Bad. I just purchased a 2020 GMC 2500 ATC need to get a hitch to fit my vehicle. the only two options currently available are the Andersen Ultimate or B&W companion slider due the change in the bed size from the 2019 models my truck has the 5th wheel prep package withe OEM puck and goose neck system so i can use either configuration. Undecided.... which discretion to go. Ultimate much lighter but is it strong enough? or B&W 20K hitch but much heavier. I plan to remove the hitch when not towing to have a clean bed no rails.... that's why i have the puck system. The 5th wheel a Montana weight 13-14K... probably 16K loaded.... Thanks.

For all of you weight police out there...... I would like to make a correction.... my 5th wheel weight unload is 13,100k so i'm looking at 14-14,500 k loaded pin weight 2,400..... again i'm looking for input on which hitch to purchase.... The truck and 5th wheel not an issue . The new 5th wheel is the same weight as my bolder one and towed it with a 2007 chevy diesel over 10,000 miles... and not the first issue towing.The new truck actually capable of towing 2 k more than the old truck. But thanks for your concerns.
36 REPLIES 36

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
IdaD wrote:
I think he's saying 4" - from 16" to 20". I think it're more like 2", though. Mine runs flipped the other way so the kingpin is a couple inches in front of the ball. I doubt it makes enough of a difference in the torque applied to the trailer frame to matter either way, except maybe in some really rare cases.

The distance is 4" not 2" from where the kingpin attaches to the adapter to where the ball enters the adapter socket. The adapter actually has an 8" difference as far as where the fifth wheel is from the cab. Depending on which direction the adapter is installed .

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
Ah, gotcha.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

Second_Chance
Explorer II
Explorer II
4x4ord wrote:
fj12ryder wrote:
Second Chance wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
I can see voiding warranty on the pinbox but frame???

It's the frame that flexes and breaks with the torsional forces - not the pin box. I've seen it.

Rob
Why would the Anderson cause more torsional forces than a standard hitch. It should be the same, or even less due to the ball allowing more side-to-side rotational movement.

If a trailer frame is damaged on account of towing with an Anderson Hitch it was designed too week. However, the Anderson Hitch can increase the torsion on the trailer frame at the point where the pin box is welded into place. If the adapter for the Anderson ball is attached to the trailer pin such that it extends the distance from the pin box mounting to the kingpin coupling from say 16" to 20" the torsion at the point the pin box welds to the frame would be increased by 25%.

I was thinking of the GooseBox (I thought it was referenced earlier). The forces on the Andersen are the same as a conventional hitch.

Rob
U.S. Army retired
2020 Solitude 310GK-R
MORryde IS, disc brakes, solar, DP windows
(Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
2012 F350 CC DRW Lariat 6.7
Full-time since 8/2015

IdaD
Explorer
Explorer
I think he's saying 4" - from 16" to 20". I think it're more like 2", though. Mine runs flipped the other way so the kingpin is a couple inches in front of the ball. I doubt it makes enough of a difference in the torque applied to the trailer frame to matter either way, except maybe in some really rare cases.
2015 Cummins Ram 4wd CC/SB

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
Yeah, I'm going to have to disagree about the torque added by the Andersen. The distance from the king pin to the ball is a couple inches at most, nowhere near the 16"-20" you're stating.

If the Andersen added that much distance I would agree with you, but it doesn't.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

4x4ord
Explorer III
Explorer III
fj12ryder wrote:
Second Chance wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:

It's the frame that flexes and breaks with the torsional forces - not the pin box. I've seen it.

Rob
Why would the Anderson cause more torsional forces than a standard hitch. It should be the same, or even less due to the ball allowing more side-to-side rotational movement.

If a trailer frame is damaged on account of towing with an Anderson Hitch it was designed too week. However, the Anderson Hitch can increase the torsion on the trailer frame at the point where the pin box is welded into place. If the adapter for the Anderson ball is attached to the trailer pin such that it extends the distance from the pin box mounting to the kingpin coupling from say 16" to 20" the torsion at the point the pin box welds to the frame would be increased by 25%.
2023 F350 SRW Platinum short box 4x4.
B&W Companion
2008 Citation Platinum XL 34.5

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
Second Chance wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:

Rob
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Second Chance wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:

Rob

ANDERSEN simply does nothing to the frame that any other traditional hitch does.

MY comment was specific to the pinbox. Specifically the adapter for the ANDERSEN has a smaller footprint against the pinbox plate and has caused damage.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Second_Chance
Explorer II
Explorer II
Cummins12V98 wrote:

Rob
U.S. Army retired
2020 Solitude 310GK-R
MORryde IS, disc brakes, solar, DP windows
(Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
2012 F350 CC DRW Lariat 6.7
Full-time since 8/2015

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
Sounds like your manufacturer was just searching for an excuse to deny warranty work.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

Blazing_Zippers
Explorer II
Explorer II
I used a Andersen for two years. Good set up. Our two year old fifth wheel trailer fell apart, and I was told that the manufacturer would not warrantee it because we used the Andersen. Now, before everybody goes crazy here---there were many issues with the fifth wheel, not just the frame flex.
The trailer was a POS.
I just looked at a Andersen, and it had a sticker that read it wouldn't void warrantees. CYA.
The Andersen worked great for us, easy to install, remove, and adjust.

starhunt
Explorer
Explorer
For trailer, still prefer my Ram. 5th wheel hitch I use is this ***Link Removed***. Gooseneck Prep is what I prefer because it sways lesser.

Etstorm
Explorer
Explorer
IdaD wrote:
I really like my Andersen. I have the steel rail mount version. Light and super easy to install/remove, and really solid feeling towing. One of the things it does really well is handle terrain and allows you to hitch/unhitch when the truck isn't level.

I am considering this one also

I have to take some measurements on pin box to trailer side and the truck to where ball will set