Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Towing: 5th wheel hitches
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Towing

Open Roads Forum  >  Towing

> 5th wheel hitches

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next
opschief

Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/22/19 12:13pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

OKay... I/m looking for anyone who had or is currently using an Andersen Ultimate hitch. The Good and Bad. I just purchased a 2020 GMC 2500 ATC need to get a hitch to fit my vehicle. the only two options currently available are the Andersen Ultimate or B&W companion slider due the change in the bed size from the 2019 models my truck has the 5th wheel prep package withe OEM puck and goose neck system so i can use either configuration. Undecided.... which discretion to go. Ultimate much lighter but is it strong enough? or B&W 20K hitch but much heavier. I plan to remove the hitch when not towing to have a clean bed no rails.... that's why i have the puck system. The 5th wheel a Montana weight 13-14K... probably 16K loaded.... Thanks.

For all of you weight police out there...... I would like to make a correction.... my 5th wheel weight unload is 13,100k so i'm looking at 14-14,500 k loaded pin weight 2,400..... again i'm looking for input on which hitch to purchase.... The truck and 5th wheel not an issue . The new 5th wheel is the same weight as my bolder one and towed it with a 2007 chevy diesel over 10,000 miles... and not the first issue towing.The new truck actually capable of towing 2 k more than the old truck. But thanks for your concerns.

* This post was edited 10/23/19 06:07pm by opschief *

twodownzero

NM

View Profile

Posted: 10/22/19 12:55pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You bought the wrong truck. A 2500 does not have sufficient payload to pull a 16k pound fifth wheel in the common cab configurations most people spec. The choice of hitch is irrelevant. If you wanted to pull a 5er that big, you should have, at minimum, bought a 1 ton truck, and preferably one with dual wheels.

Merrykalia

Appalachian (apple at chun) Mtn in the GREAT SW Va

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/22/19 01:07pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

As bad as I hate to agree with anyone about weight specs, I will have to agree with twodownzero. (The weight police on here can be awful and if you don't have a 1 ton diesel dually, you can't tow anything but a popup.) We have a 13.5K empty fifth wheel and pulled it with a F250 diesel and it would do it, but not great. I would be beat to death by the time we got the RV and truck to our camping location. The ride was R O U G H!! We traded up to an F350 6.7L diesel dually and the ride is so much better, it pulls wonderfully and I'm not as worried about being able to get the trailer up some of our mountains around home.

We also have the Anderson and we will never go back to a conventional hitch.
I can climb into the truck and pull out the hitch and put it on a shelf, then when we are ready to tow again, I take it off the shelf and put it back into the truck. Our prior hitch weighed about 150 lbs and it took me and DH to get the thing in/out and about an hour. Now, 5 minutes. With the Anderson, you have no chucking, very little noise and I feel much safer. We did add the safety chains, but only because Virginia says we have to have them.

* This post was edited 10/22/19 02:21pm by Merrykalia *

2017 Ford F350 Crew Cab 6.7L 4x4 DRW

Mfan

Otsego,Mi

View Profile

Posted: 10/22/19 01:09pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A friend of mine just bought an Anderson hitch this spring. Says that he would never go back to a "typical " hitch

MFL

Midwest

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/22/19 04:04pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

That's a load for that truck for sure. You shouldn't need the heavy slider version, just get the B&W for OEM pucks. It adjusts ahead/back, and not very heavy.

Jerry

Second Chance

Wherever...

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/22/19 05:28pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We towed about 12,000 miles with the Andersen Ultimate (steel/rails). It was a good hitch. I'll have to agree with the others, though, that you don't have enough truck for a 16K fifth wheel with 3,500 lbs. of pin weight. Ask me how I know...

Rob

U.S. Army retired
2020 Solitude 310GK-R
MORryde IS, disc brakes, solar, DP windows
(Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
2012 F350 CC DRW Lariat 6.7
Full-time since 8/2015

lmpres

New Hampshire

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/23/19 04:07am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ok, Ok, now I'm confused. I thought these goose neck type hitches were causing structural damage to 5th wheel trailers???????

Hammerboy

Zeeland, MI

View Profile

Posted: 10/23/19 05:31am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

While I agree a 3500 would have been better, the 2020's have considerably more payload than the outgoing model. But with the gooseneck now moved behind the axle on the 2020 generation he may run out of his rear axle rating real quickly.

Dan

2019 Chevy crew LTZ 2500 HD Duramax
2017 Wildcat 29rlx fifth wheel

JIMNLIN

Oklahoma

View Profile

Posted: 10/23/19 06:20am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

some one wrote:

We traded up to an F350 6.7L diesel dually and the ride is so much better, it pulls wonderfully and I'm not as worried about being able to get the trailer up some of our mountains around home.

[emoticon] The F250/F350 SRW and DRW has the same 6.7 engine and tranny so it will pull the same trailer up the mountain easier than the heavier F350 drw truck.

The problem is the F250 small 6200 rawr. Now if the truck has the camper pack or heavy service pack then it has the same suspension as the F350 srw truck.

I don't have a Anderson but they are very popular with those that use them.
I'm looking at the same style PullRite SuperLite hitch. I pull GN trailers also. clicky link

"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

phemens

Montreal, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 10/23/19 06:41am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have a 2006 F250 V10 pulling a 10k 5er with the Andersen hitch. I like it for it's flexibility (ability to adjust easily) and portability (don't need a winch to remove it). Glad I chose it, never had an issue other than occasionally needing a hammer to remove one of the pins.

2012 Dutchman Denali 324LBS behind a 2006 Ford F-250 V10 out of Montreal
1 DW, 1 DD, 1 DS, 2 HD (Hyper Dogs)
1200w solar, 600AH LIFePO4, Yamaha EF2000 gen, Samlex 3000w Inverter

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Towing

> 5th wheel hitches
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Towing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.