Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

1/2 ton or 3/4 ton

SRadke
Explorer
Explorer
Hey Everyone!
My wife and I are looking to buy a truck and trailer within the next year and need some guidance. I posted in the TT forum with this same type of question and I am getting some good responses, but thought I would post here as well just in case there are more/different opinions here.
We are looking to buy a bunkhouse style TT with a GVWR of around 7,500 lbs. To pull it our initial thought was to us a 2018 F150 2 wheel drive V8. The math works on the payload, towing, and gross weight, but it is pushing the upper limits of what the truck is able to do.

What do people here use to pull trailers like this?

What kind of margin do y'all like to keep between what you are pulling and the limits of your truck?

Would it be better to go with a slightly older 3/4 ton truck than a slightly newer 1/2 ton truck?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
99 REPLIES 99

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
Lynnmor wrote:
LEMII wrote:
I wonder what the best method is to determine the actual tongue weight?

I have a Sherline scale but there are other ways such as the bathroom scale.

I did the bathroom scale years ago with a TT I had. It was very close to the scales here in Oregon which are IIRC in 50# increments.
I would never sweat 50#.

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
LEMII wrote:
I wonder what the best method is to determine the actual tongue weight?

I have a Sherline scale but there are other ways such as the bathroom scale.

LEMII
Explorer
Explorer
I wonder what the best method is to determine the actual tongue weight? I guess park the TV on a certified scale, weigh it, then unhook the TT, ensuring the tongue jack is off of the scale and take the difference.
Me
My lovely and gracious wife
Maggie, our Yellow Lab
2007 Jayco Jayfeather EXP 23B
2008 Toyota 4Runner V8 Limited AWD

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
LEMII wrote:
I would assume that as the weight of the TT goes up from the UVW, the tongue weight will also increase proportionally. The tongue weight I gave was what the Mfg. had listed on its website for the camper.

Thanks though, that's something else to keep in mind.
That is correct. I only mentioned it, as you posted it as part of your calculations.... Gotta keep this straight as many people out there may read this, and think it is the way to figure it.
Huntindog
100% boondocking
2021 Grand Design Momentum 398M
2 bathrooms, no waiting
104 gal grey, 104 black,158 fresh
FullBodyPaint, 3,8Kaxles, DiscBrakes
17.5LRH commercial tires
1860watts solar,800 AH Battleborn batterys
2020 Silverado HighCountry CC DA 4X4 DRW

LEMII
Explorer
Explorer
I would assume that as the weight of the TT goes up from the UVW, the tongue weight will also increase proportionally. The tongue weight I gave was what the Mfg. had listed on its website for the camper.

Thanks though, that's something else to keep in mind.
Me
Maggie, our Yellow Lab

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
LEMII wrote:
I've heard and read that one should try not to exceed 80% of the stated tow capacity of the TV. This builds in a factor of safety.

I'm looking at a Grand Design Imagine 2500RL with a UVW of 5,857 lbs and a GVWR of 7,495 lbs and a hitch weight of 581 bs.

If I assume a normal trailer weight of say 7,000 lbs. and I want that to be my 80% mark, I need to look for a max tow capacity of 8,750 lbs.

We're looking at a F-150 5.0l 4X4 with 6.5 ft bed (157" wheelbase)and 3.73 axle. Its stated towing capacity is 11,600; with a WDH the hitch capacity is 1,320 lbs., and the max payload is 2,640 (with Heavy Duty Payload Package).

So,
Trailer Weight = 7,500 lbs. < 80% of truck's towing capacity = 9,280 lbs.(0.8 x 11,600 lbs.)
Hitch weight is 581 lbs. < truck's hitch capacity (with WDH) of 1,320 lbs.

Payload: me and the wife-420 lbs., dog-65 lbs., firewood-200 lbs., hitch weight-581 lbs. = 1,266 lbs. << 2,640 lbs.

The numbers seem to work well...

Am I missing anything?
Yes. If you actually have a TT that weighs 7500# with a TW of 581#..... Do NOT tow it at all, as it is unsafe. You need a minimum of 10% TW at all times. Since TW can vary so much in a TT, I prefer 15%. Others will say less, like 12-13% etc. But most everyone will agree that less than 10% is a no, no.
Huntindog
100% boondocking
2021 Grand Design Momentum 398M
2 bathrooms, no waiting
104 gal grey, 104 black,158 fresh
FullBodyPaint, 3,8Kaxles, DiscBrakes
17.5LRH commercial tires
1860watts solar,800 AH Battleborn batterys
2020 Silverado HighCountry CC DA 4X4 DRW

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
LEMII wrote:

Am I missing anything?

You might want to price out an F250 that won't need extra packages.

wing_zealot
Explorer
Explorer
LEMII
Yes, if the payload on the sticker on the door of the truck is really 2600 lbs., you will be fine with that truck. The thing is, you will not find that truck on a dealers lot, it has to be ordered. If you are getting a truck on the dealers lot, I can guarantee it will have a lot less than 2600 lbs payload rating on the door sticker.
Secondly, get the 3.5 ecoboost and the 10 speed transmission, a much better combination especially if it is going to be your daily driver also. You can thank me later.

LEMII
Explorer
Explorer
I've heard and read that one should try not to exceed 80% of the stated tow capacity of the TV. This builds in a factor of safety.

I'm looking at a Grand Design Imagine 2500RL with a UVW of 5,857 lbs and a GVWR of 7,495 lbs and a hitch weight of 581 bs.

If I assume a normal trailer weight of say 7,000 lbs. and I want that to be my 80% mark, I need to look for a max tow capacity of 8,750 lbs.

We're looking at a F-150 5.0l 4X4 with 6.5 ft bed (157" wheelbase)and 3.73 axle. Its stated towing capacity is 11,600; with a WDH the hitch capacity is 1,320 lbs., and the max payload is 2,640 (with Heavy Duty Payload Package).

So,
Trailer Weight = 7,500 lbs. < 80% of truck's towing capacity = 9,280 lbs.(0.8 x 11,600 lbs.)
Hitch weight is 581 lbs. < truck's hitch capacity (with WDH) of 1,320 lbs.

Payload: me and the wife-420 lbs., dog-65 lbs., firewood-200 lbs., hitch weight-581 lbs. = 1,266 lbs. << 2,640 lbs.

The numbers seem to work well...

Am I missing anything?
Me
Maggie, our Yellow Lab

wing_zealot
Explorer
Explorer
^^^ GIGO - all that needs to be said.

ShinerBock
Explorer
Explorer
nickthehunter wrote:
ShinerBock wrote:
Here is my total cost analysis based on a Ram. It will be different for you depending on many things such as PM intervals/cost between the two, fuel prices in your region, interest rates, re-sale values and so on.

Interesting, you don’t have insurance, cost of money, and you have a unrealistic interest rate. That’s just from a 3 second glance at it.

The cost of money is on another chart, however, it had less than a $100 impact since the differences were so close especially for those that finance the loan. You are correct that I don't have insurance. You can call and get a quote on insurance if you want and add a post about it. The insurance on my truck is less than $40 a month and I doubt the gas version will that much less to make a significant impact.

As far as interest rate, that is the interest rate I got on both my truck and BMW. I made this chart for me, not anyone else so I really didn't concern myself with other peoples interest rates or fuel costs. Although, since my truck is not necessarily stock, it does get 2 mpg more than the fuelly mpg I have in the chart.
2014 Ram 2500 6.7L CTD
2016 BMW 2.0L diesel (work and back car)
2023 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 3.0L Ecodiesel

Highland Ridge Silverstar 378RBS

ShinerBock
Explorer
Explorer
Double Post
2014 Ram 2500 6.7L CTD
2016 BMW 2.0L diesel (work and back car)
2023 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 3.0L Ecodiesel

Highland Ridge Silverstar 378RBS

librty02
Explorer
Explorer
Yep I've been doing it all wrong for the past 50000 miles with a half ton towing a 7200lb trailer :S

You guys crack me up lol...
2011 FORD F-150 FX4 CREW CAB ECO...
2018 Ford F-150 Max Tow Crew 6.5 3.5 Eco...
2013 Keystone Passport 2650BH, EQUAL-I-ZER 1K/10K

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
Simple. 3/4 ton unless you want a one ton.